wifi saved password info...

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I've run into this before and didn't know if there was a work-around....

Let's say you have a network called "home"... on that network you have a password "1234567890"..... you connect using your phone or laptop, and it remembers it. Great!

Now, I decide to CHANGE my wifi password to "iliketoeatbabies", and my phone won't connect. So I have to go in and "forget" the network and re-connect.

So... you do this at your place of work with 75 people all on wifi.... 75% aren't bright enough to do this, so they all run over to you to get them to do this for them (forget the network and reconnect)

See the problem?? :D

Any ideas??

P.S. The last while I have got around this by actually RENAMING the wifi network to something else completely. Tell them to connect to the "NEW" network now called "home1" and type in the new password. It seems to stumble less of the technologically advanced among us, but still not an ideal solution IMO.

Simple, send a email explaining it easily. My own grandmother understood this process when I recently re structured her network.

If they dont get it, fire them. End of problem lol

Welcome to IT. If you're the IT guy that's kinda your job lol. Besides sending out a mass message (either text or email) on the network giving them ample warning and somewhat generalized instructions, there really isn't a way to make it easier. If they are literally that technologically incompetent to know how to connect to a Wi-Fi network, but not smart enough to figure out how to disconnect, remove, and re-scan the Wi-Fi range, we got problems.

You could always send an email with a executable script to change the password.

Or you can tell them the company internet is not for their phones, but if they want to attach to it then IT is happy to look at what they are doing ;)

Laptops of course are a different story

You shouldn't be using a simple shared secret like that on a network that size.

Simple shared secret??

Sharing the same password for 75 clients. Normally you want that each user have a single username and password to access the network. If a employee is getting fired or just leave the company you don't have to change the password again and again, you just have to disable the user account and thats about it.

Sharing the same password for 75 clients. Normally you want that each user have a single username and password to access the network. If a employee is getting fired or just leave the company you don't have to change the password again and again, you just have to disable the user account and thats about it.

I have usernames and passwords on my domain... how do you propose I offer 75 WPA2 keys??

Like Mystic said, you could do 802.1x on windows server :

Here is a tutorial.

usr/home had also a good solution, if you just want to use a simple shared secret and shoot it to the clients go with a simple GPO

I am pretty sure you can find other/better tutorials

Use enterprise WPA2 and you can authenticate via domain credentials.

That is what any decent sized network should be doing.

Use enterprise WPA2 and you can authenticate via domain credentials.

That is what any decent sized network should be doing.

Wow... learn something new everyday. Didn't realize you could do that. I will look into that... thanks!

Back