WiFi requires router reset every couple of days

dhodson66

Weaksauce
I have a tp link 5400 and many devices hardwired through switches. Every few days the WiFi doesn’t work properly. The wired seems to be fine but all wireless devices do t work. If I select one of the WiFi either 2.4 or 5, I get a variety of errors like it says password is wrong and putting in the password doesn’t solve it, or it fails to connect, or supposedly connects but no internet. Can anyone give me some advice on what’s wrong. I assume that even though it was a more expensive router purchased a few years ago that it’s gone bad but before I plop down another good chunk of change, I wanted to see if anyone has other ideas.

thanks

Updated firmware?
Power issue? New cable?
Reset to defaults and see if it stops?

My Linksys WRT54G with tomato fw did the same thing at least once a month. Always had to reboot it for wifi to work. Hardwired always worked. I eventually replaced it as it was archaic.

Last edited:
Thx for the response
It does have the latest tplink firmware
I’ll see if another power cable makes a difference.
I’ll reset all parameters after I write them down first

Double check the wall wart power supply. One that has drifted out of spec can cause issues.

I had the same issue with my DLink and it was entirely related to it heating up. If I didn't run my DC rigs, it would never have an issue, but god forbid I start up some project.. wireless would constantly go down. Still show, but not function.

Bought a new router, problem solved.

that seems to be my issue although i havent had enough drops yet to rule out all the above but the router doesnt notice any problem when it happens. It shows up but selecting it doesnt work out even if it connects. as far as i can tell its only an issue when a lot of traffic is going on (through the wired connections). I wonder if putting a small fan near it would help. It has plenty of room/air space but that might cool it down i suppose. Ill eventually get a wifi6 device but would like to wait a little longer if i can keep this issue at bay.

TP Link is a cheap brand (even if some of their devices aren't that cheap in terms of cost) that I generally try to avoid other than very simple devices like an unmanaged gigabit switch. Have you tried disabling the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz function in the router? Switch it to only use one band and see if the problem is reduced or eliminated. I agree about making sure that the power supply is still supplying the correct voltage. In many cases, devices will still "work" when supplied with inadequate voltage but it will result in odd behavior. Also, if you have an even older router available (even something like an 802.11G device), then set that up also, as an access point (router functions disabled), and move all devices that only require minimal connectivity over to that instead to reduce strain on the main access point / router. Finally, have you ever checked your voltage from the wall? I've seen houses with voltage as low as 105v or as high as 130v. Most computers and many other devices don't care and are rated for anything between 100-240v but some cheap power supplies on something like a TP-link router might produce undesirable results if subjected to voltages outside of a very small range.

Back