Wifi probs, could use some help

Mcseiam

Supreme [H]ardness
So I just bought a Linksys WRT54GS b/G wireless router to use in the new loft and have been struggling for the last hour to get it set up. I am directly connected to it now and it runs fine. When I disconnect the cable and attempt to run wireless with my Dell Inspiron 9100 (has the 1300 series b/G mini-pci card installed) I cannot connect to the internet.

I have WEP on and the key is the same, the laptop sees the network and signal strength shows as excellent but it cannot renew the IP address and it does not see the internet..

I could use help, I tried the disk that came with the router but it does not help and a search here didnt reveal any answers. I would like to use this as secure as possible but first I would just like to connect to the web.

Thanks in advance...

Well, for one thing, turn off WEP and see if your laptop will pick up the connection and allow you access to the internet. if that works, then you can try to look into other possibilties. try doing a "net stop dhcp" and "net start dhcp" from the DOS prompt for a hard DHCP release renew.

killerasp said:
Well, for one thing, turn off WEP and see if your laptop will pick up the connection and allow you access to the internet. if that works, then you can try to look into other possibilties. try doing a "net stop dhcp" and "net start dhcp" from the DOS prompt for a hard DHCP release renew.

I will try the "net stop/start dhcp" suggestion but it doesnt see the internet if WEP is on or off... I guess I will get to spend a few hours with Dell and Linksys tomorrow on my new Vancouver cell #

do you have the latest drivers for your nic card?
do you have the latest stable bios for the router?
have you reset the routers?
can anyone eles ever connect to the Wireless side of the router?
is your laptop seeing the router wirelessly at all?

make sure your router is in the leased secured state, i.e. ssid broadcast turned on, no WEP or WPA, and make sure that the laptop can at least see the router. then setup the security level by level, untill you hit a wall, then back donw one level.

make sure you dont have your laptop mac blocked on the router. if the router will only work in the lessed secured mode, use Mac blocking to only allow your mac on, and for the most part you will be secured.

Well, I am finally connected but cannot get it to work if I use WEP. I have MAC address filtering on and that is it...

I guess I need to see what the problem is but at this point I am just happy it works at all...

I've had problems before with the Truemobile 1300 internal cards not working well with DHCP. Try to assign an IP and restart and see if that works. I had 4 Inspiron 8500's with the 1300 and a Truemobile 2300 router and had similar problems that you describe. Other laptops with other cards could use DHCP but the 1300s couldn't.

Well, this is a silly question, but have you got DHCP set up on the router and the laptop? If yes, and it's properly set up, and still doesn't work, do as the above poster suggests, and manually set the laptop's IP settings as follows.

With a WRT54G or GS, you'll want to use these settings:
IP of 192.168.1.(anything from 2 through 99, which is where teh DHCP server starts assigning IP addys)
Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
Gateway address: 192.168.1.1
DNS server: Go to the router's status page, look for the DNS servers there, and copy them.

Back