Wifi Problems using X58 MB, lag spike, strange juju.

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I wanted to post this fresh thread to see what you all thought. I have been having problems with audio static and latency issues using an internal wifi card.

Win 10
Gigabyte UD5 x58
Wifi is a basic PCIe ASUS wifi card

When using the card, I get a bzzt sound at the end of each sound, randomly. Polling the router shows a lag spike correlation with the bzzt sound.

I thought I had the problem fixed by going with a USB wifi dongle, but now I get a static sound randomly, not loud, but audible. However, I can recreate the audio static by clicking on the taskbar wifi icon. Every time I click on it, I get this static sound. Polling the router again confirmed that every time I click on the wifi task bar icon, I get a huge latency spike around 400-1000ms.

I've tried everything. If no one has a clue about this, I'm going to drop a dime and replace my old rig. Something is defintely wrong.

Each spike is when I click on the wifi icon.
Capture.PNG

Open up task manager or resource monitor and see what process's CPU usage spikes when you get the lag and buzz. If it's an installed program, uninstall it and see if it goes away. If it's a system process, it's probably a driver or library incompatibility. System logs migt have some useful info too, but I'm not familiar with what to look for there.

Won't be able to narrow it down further without more details.

Open up task manager or resource monitor and see what process's CPU usage spikes when you get the lag and buzz. If it's an installed program, uninstall it and see if it goes away. If it's a system process, it's probably a driver or library incompatibility. System logs migt have some useful info too, but I'm not familiar with what to look for there.

Won't be able to narrow it down further without more details.
Good idea. I'll do it and report back.

In the mean time, I plugged it into Ethernet, and Win 10 automatically disables wifi. I had no lag spikes and no static or bzzt sounds. As soon as I enabled wifi,I started getting those noises again, but the cable connection was unaffected by it. So it is definitely something going on with wifi, if that helps.

Put your usb dongle on a cord and move it away from the motherboard and test. possible interference. the only other thing I can think of is an irq conflict.

Put your usb dongle on a cord and move it away from the motherboard and test. possible interference. the only other thing I can think of is an irq conflict.

Totally this, you have to isolate RF interference from IRQ conflicts.

It's an external and has no way to plug directly into a port. Needs a cord. Tried several cords and every port on the MB.

buzzing points to interference or corrupted driver stack. Hopefully not hardware. try these steps.
The adapters all show and work. It's not that they don't work, but that they are producing bzzt or static sounds, depending on which I am using. I can recreate the static issue simply by enabling wifi and clicking on teh wifi icon on the task bar. you can hear it giving off static each time it reads hot spots down the list. Definitely sounds like driver related problems and the hardware but not a hardware failure. I've tested it with two adapters and two seprate dhannels of sound, one the AMD HDMI audio and one the MB built in realtek system. In all cases and configurations, there is the audible noise and lag spikes when I hear it.

I can still hear it even when I am hooked up to cable directly to the modem, but it doesn't affect the connection--no lag spikes. That tells me it has something to do internally with Windows drivers being incompatible with my older hardware.

Did u try any of those steps i linked? just for kicks, if you have a spare drive - try a clean windows install. thats all i got.

Did u try any of those steps i linked? just for kicks, if you have a spare drive - try a clean windows install. thats all i got.
I've tried most of them. I did not try the registry option because my adapter is working. He's trying to fix a connection that won't connect. I did not try disabling TCP 6 so I will try that. The ojnly other thing I did not try was resetting the TCPIP stack by using the renew command. I'll do that tonight. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mega6
like this
Nope. I reset the stack, disabled IPV6. I've done all the rest. Ethernet is clean, but Wifi is not going to work.

I was hoping it may be the ASUS card, but it also happens with the USB2 adapter, so it's either hardware or Windows 10. I'm working on a new rig currently, getting my parts list, so this old rig can F itself in the B hole.

Thanks for the help.

Nope. I reset the stack, disabled IPV6. I've done all the rest. Ethernet is clean, but Wifi is not going to work.

I was hoping it may be the ASUS card, but it also happens with the USB2 adapter, so it's either hardware or Windows 10. I'm working on a new rig currently, getting my parts list, so this old rig can F itself in the B hole.

Thanks for the help.
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your new build!

What happens if you take the software/OS out of the equation entirely and boot off a live Ubuntu distro? Do you still experience the same issue?

Are you using Realtek WiFi chipsets? If so try Intel as Realtek make garbage.

Back