WIFI outdoor antenna help...

deep22

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to setup a Linksys WAP54G with an outdoor antenna to cover a small parking lot. We're trying to stay connected with a Toshiba M200 Portege Tablet PC.

The goal is so that we can walk around to different cars and enter in the VIN, license, options...etc right into our network from the parking lot.

Problems seems to be that the cars make a lot of interference and the signal dies out really badly. I'm looking for solution that will make this work...hoping someone out there really knows their WIFI outdoor antennas and amps :)

Do you have light poles in the parking lot? Might be a good place to set up amplifiers.

You wouldn't put an amp on a light pole. Repeater perhaps and that may work for you. The better solution, providing it's pheasible, is to just elevate the existing AP's, or the antennas that are attached to them. If your trying to extend your radiation pattern on a plane, and you have a parking lot full of cars then yeah, I could see where that could be a problem. If you get the radiators up high, then you can probably reduce/eliminate that problem. What kind of distances are you trying to get?

Back