WiFi next to ethernet bundle

Skud

Gawd
Hi All,

Did some searching, but didn't come up with much.

I'm going to be wiring a new (to me) house with a couple cat 6 runs to each room. The runs will all be brought back to an enclosed 6u rack and cat 6 110 style patch panel. This rack will contain:

- HP 2824 Switch
- PfSense router (Supermicro X7SPA-HF ITX board)
- DSL modem

Since the rack is completely metal and enclosed I'm going to put my Netgear WNDR3700 WiFi router (used as an access point only) on top of the rack.

My question is, does anyone know what the implications are in regards to placing a WiFi device right next to a bundle of ethernet cables?

Thanks!!
Riley

It should be a near non-issue. The wifi won't be interfered with since Ethernet isn't particularly high powered, and I don't even think 10 (or 100 even?) Gig ethernet would be that sensitive to interference.

consumer radio devices are required by the FCC to not interfere with any other electrical devices, and to accept any interference other devices cause.

In case you were wondering if the wireless signal is affected. I have my wireless router on my top floor right next to a giant metal air duct (1 inch away from it). And I still get 4 bars and good speed in my basement. I think it actually helps because old router sucked worse and was on the floor in between the two.

Thanks guys.. I'm not so much worried about the cables interfering with the wireless signal, but the wireless interfering with the Ethernet cables.

I mean, having something that radiates RF within a foot of a patch panel and a bundle of 24 cables.........

Back