WiFi Mesh/extenders

RapidDog

Limp Gawd
Pretty annoyed.
I'm having a drop-off of my Spectrum WiFi out in my garage. Very frustrating. Spectrum customer service isn't much help. I've disconnected and reset their router several times.
Still, I'll be surfing on my iPhone and then the feed just stops...and if I have my iPhone settings to WiFi OFF for Safari, it's dead in the water.

So I know nothing about these extender gizmos except they are expensive. Some 'extenders' are cheap.
I haven't a clue. Admitted noob when it comes to networking stuff. I hate setting up IP addresses et al.

Any advice on what to buy, reviews, suggestions are well appreciated.

Last edited:
I had similar issues and ended up adding powerline adapters to be able to get wireless into my detached garage. I added a wifi ap in the garage once I had a wired connection.

Interesting...so you plug the Ethernet into it?

yeah if you haven't used them... basically you have two adapters..one plugs into a wall socket in the house and the other in the garage. You just plug the network cable from your router to the adapter in the house. You'll have internet where ever you plug the other adapter via wired connection. You can either just use wired or put a AP on that side.

So in the garage for instance, on that end, do you need a second ethernet cable or is it wifi? I don't have a laptop out there, just use my iPhone.
It would have to be a wifi signal.

So in the garage for instance, on that end, do you need a second ethernet cable or is it wifi? I don't have a laptop out there, just use my iPhone.
It would have to be a wifi signal.

Yes. If you want to plug in directly but if you want wifi just plug an WiFi AP into the jack instead. But yeah you'll need to add an Wifi AP to bypass having to use the Spectrum wifi.

I apologize, I don't know what an AP is.
Access Point?
You mean I'd need both the Powerline Adapter and an AP?

Yes. Powerline adapters usually come in pairs and since it's not giving you wireless but instead wired into the garage, you'll need to add an wireless access point.

You're basically extending your wired connection from your house to your garage... but then adding a access point in the garage which will give you a much better wifi connection.

Hmmm...getting priceier :)

It looks like this TL-WPA4220 is an easier less expensive gizmo. But then I don't know sheep from shinola...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't have experience with those but seems like it could work. Not exactly sure of the wifi performance though. I'm running an Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro on mine since I use AC wifi gear.

I had issue with power-line adapter being on a different circuit at the source and desired destination.

So what are the other options. I tried a single unit but it never linked up with my router/WiFi. Sent that back.
I see these $300 3 piece units at Costco.
not sure how they work or if they would...

Using the spectrum wifi router is your first mistake. When setting up service I specifically asked just for a modem and nothing else. Then I found an older used Linksys WRT1200 for $20 local.

Mind you I have a 600sqft 1 bedroom, but still, you're better off not paying the hardware rental, and buying something that fits your need.

Just using a dedicated mesh wifi setup would be better, even a better higher quality router in the same spot might be better.

Ditch your Spectrum Wifi Router and get a true Mesh network.

This is the only correct answer. Service provider WiFi gateway modems are only ideal for light usage and minimal coverage.

For a modern home WiFi network I dont recommend repurposing old routers as extenders. This likely still leave you wanting.

You are left with one of two choices, wire access points around your home/property to give you the coverage you want, or go with a decent mesh product.

Based on the OP's situation I recommend investing in mesh

So what are the other options. I tried a single unit but it never linked up with my router/WiFi. Sent that back.
I see these $300 3 piece units at Costco.
not sure how they work or if they would...

What do you mean a single unit? They REQUIRE two units to work, you connect the signal from your router into your one unit which than converts the signal so the other unit can sync with it. You used to have to go the the Ethernet-Ethernet than buy a separate AP but that's not the case anymore, now some have their own built in AP's, try something like this https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-1000-802-11ac-Gigabit/dp/B01929V7ZG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3U61PD3XQYUUQ&keywords=powerline+adapter+with+wifi&qid=1582645559&sprefix=powerline+ada,aps,200&sr=8-3 , As long as it is on the same electrical circuit should just work

The first I tried was the power line set up. It wasn’t satisfactory.

Do you cable routed between the garage and the house? They have MOCA adapters(same thing as Powerline adapter, but over Coax cable) but again both the house and the garage would need to be on the same cable run, if you can't do those than you may have to do something like these which are basically a wireless PTP bridge, but these ones have an AP mode so you don't have to purchase a separate access point.

The other option is just to boost your WIFI outside with POE something like this which should work and is a cheaper option

For only 10feet away you may even be able to get away with this ultra cheap little guy

Last edited:
We just bought a set of Google WiFi units (the older AC1200 kit) for $200 to replace the super flaky wiifi of the BGW210 gateway that AT&T provided. Couldn’t be happier. Setup was as easy as plugging them in scanning the QR code and setting the gateway to IP pass-through mode and no more dropouts or rebooting the gateway everyday. As a bonus, I can see exactly how much data each device is using.

I read a long review in the Google set up. More tech than I understood.
It said something about it being not ‘bridged’ and a bad thing if you play pc games. I do so that makes me wonder...

Do you cable routed between the garage and the house? They have MOCA adapters(same thing as Powerline adapter, but over Coax cable) but again both the house and the garage would need to be on the same cable run, if you can't do those than you may have to do something like these which are basically a wireless PTP bridge, but these ones have an AP mode so you don't have to purchase a separate access point.

The other option is just to boost your WIFI outside with POE something like this which should work and is a cheaper option

For only 10feet away you may even be able to get away with this ultra cheap little guy
I do have directv cable going to the garage.

bridged mode turns off the mesh management features and basically turns them into a bunch of APs scattered around your home. That can result in poor performance since only one AP or device can talk at time.

mine are in native mode, and I’m not getting any complaints about gaming performance from my kids.

I've set up Orbi at someone's house. As a network engineer and certified CWNA, it doesn't make any sense how well they work, but they do. I was floored.

Back