WiFi Enabled Light Bulbs and other household stuff

Discussion in 'Gaming & Office Furniture' started by Tyrsis, Jun 19, 2017 at 1:00 PM.

1. Tyrsis

Tyrsis Gawd

Not sure that this topic fits neatly in any of the forums, but this'll do.

I've been contemplating outfitting my house with a bunch of LED WiFi bulbs, given that a lot of them can be voice activated via Alexa or Google Home.

Has anyone out there done this? One thing I'm having trouble finding are bulbs that will cycle through colors automatically. Seems like a cool thing to have when having a party. Anyone know of bulbs that do this?

2. Arkangyl

Arkangyl Gawd

I have a few of the TP-Link 50w bulbs ($20 on Amazon), they're WiFi enabled so you don't need any sort of Z-Wave hub to get them working and they're Alexa compatible

Very happy with them, mine only dim but I think TP has a color one too

Depending how you're setup, a smart switch could be a better option, i.e. my dining room takes 6x bulbs, so $120 in bulbs or a single $40 switch

3. Pkirk618

Pkirk618 [H]ardness Supreme

Using them in lamps across the house. Grouping them is easy enough and works pretty great w/Alexa. I don't think you'll be able to dim lights through Alexa though, just on/off functionality currently. I use mostly LIFX and those TP 50w bulbs. Can't beat the price on those TP link bulbs.

4. Tyrsis

Tyrsis Gawd

I don't have an Echo, but I did pick up that Dash Wand. I wonder if that works...