wifi bandwidth issue

dagamore

Gawd
hello all i have an issue

ok i have alot of issue, but you might be able to help me with this one.

i have a dlink di-614+ wireless router (B type) and it is talking to a new toshiba satellite a25-s279 with a built in wireless (G type) and it gets on to the network fine, and it talks at b speeds, connection speed show 11 mbs and all the signal strenght meeters are full. but i can only send to or recive at 50% of the network utilization, is there any way to get this up?

the computer it is talking to is wired directly in to the router, and it can talk to other computers on the network at full speeds (100 type) and its windows task monitor will show the pipe is full, when talking to other computers that are wired, but the laptop will only show it at 50% whne talking to anything.

please help.

the i am going to bed, bump, please help if you can, any ideas welcome, will check up on this in the am, or in about 7/8 hours.

thanks

daga more

Try updating the firmware on the router and then check to see if there are any updated drivers for the toshiba. Also I know on my linksys router there is a option CTS Protection Mode which could be slowing it down if your router had that option whicH I am sure it does.

What's your actual throughput? FTP or qcheck it, something like that. If your running 4-5 Mb in raw throughput, then your right on the money for .11b speeds.

router has the latest firmwear

nic hard has the lates drivers

no cts protection or anything like that on the router

wep is truned off

and my through put is right near 5 Mbs i thought i would get atleast double that :(

damn.

thanks for the ideas at least, if any one else cones of any tips or tricks let me know please.

5Mbps is about average for B speeds. You'll never obtain a full 11 mbps unfortunately.

damn that sucks, but now i have a reason to upgrade my router to a G since the laptop supports it :D

Yup, if your getting 5 Mbps your on the good side. 11 Mbps is the signalling rate. These are CSMA/CA devices. Not very efficient. Akin to wired hubs plus you add on some additional overhead related specifically to wireless data transfer. For furture reference, you won't see 54 Mbps when you move up to G either. 22-27 is the norm if you have a strong client to AP association. Then there is the turbo G, but that uses multiple channels and proprietary compression techniques.

Back