WiFi Antenna + Ethernet Bridge ?'s

eighteen_psi

[H]ard|Gawd
I found a good deal on an ethernet bridge for 24dbi grid (802.11b) antenna (as opposed to the orinoco and PCI adapter solution)...this is a better solution for integration and ease of setup but how can I connect to multiple networks?

I assume there's no way to use netstumbler or similar utilities with an ethernet-bridged antenna? The seller says it is controllable via an http interface requring an SSID...though it does have an automatic config. setting.

Does anyone have any experience using such a configuration? I am looking to connect to 3 or 4 networks (at this point, my school's wifi and the networks of a few friends in the area).

Also, does anyone know of a place that actually sells PCI adapters for the oriinoco gold PC card?

You understand with transparent wireless bridging your not really connecting totally seperate networks. You'll be adding remote segments to a parent network. Your home for instance would just be added to the schools network segment. It's IP scheme etc..

Beyond that, the workgroup bridge, or outright bridge would just be a transparent link. It should have a console or utility to give your quality and strength numbers for the association to the parent device, be it an AP (if your using a workgroup bridge) or parent bridge if your running a Point to Multipoint bridging setup. I don't have alot of experience with the budget stuff so perhaps the WET11 or equivalent has no interface that allows you to see how strong your link is. That would be a shitty thing but not a complete suprise. Cheap gear generally gives cheap results. What kind of equipment are you looking at? A 24 dBi grid is an awful lot of juice. How far are your links?

PCI adapters for Proxim client cards are plentiful. A google search yields dozens of hits. Might be a better choice. Just depends on what your setup is and your expectations.

2-3 Miles is the farthest I'd like to connect...I have decent line of sight with some, others next to none but they're closer (a block or two).

My goal is to be able to hit as many as possible and use said network's internet, share resources etc. If anyone has a PCI solution that'd work better, and knows some place that has it IN STOCK, I'm open to that.

With an ethernet bridge, I figured I could then redistribute the connection futher with a router of my own. Perhaps this is not the case? Ethernet gives me a lot more flexibility in mounting locations and such and better portability between systems but if I can't 'surf' networks it probably won't work for me.

Line of sight, even at "(a block or two)." isn't something you can have "decent" and make it work. At three miles not only will you need complete unobstructred line of sight, but you'll also have to be fairly elevated on at least one side for fresnel zone clearance. Even at a couple of blocks, if your LOS is non existent, multiple homes for instance in the path, then your SOL. :)

You might be able to NAT out the original connection. Depends on that network and how it is setup already whether that will work or not.

You have permission from your school to do this yes?

The network is technically meant for laptop users on and around campus (its a small, one building school). I have a login and as such permission to use it....not sure if I can nail it from my house but its worth a try. The school is open 24/7 and I don't plan on using their connection for internet access anyway...it'd just be super-damn convenient to move my big graphics files back and forth.

As far as the LOS/SOL issue, its close....a tree or two and a fence in one case and a couple homes for the other. Meh....

A login doens't give you permission to use the network off campus. Perhaps you have implied permission or whatever but you should be sure of that.

With that taken care of you just need to start considering your LOS. WIthout it, it will either be a luck of the draw thing for partially obstructed line of sight links, and a no go on completely obstructed links.

Back