Wifi 6 Mesh System vs Router + Extender

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
Hello,
I currently have an Asus AC2600 router and D-Link AC2600 extender since I needed a better 5ghz signal in the basement for Xbox and Plex. Recently I've been having issues with the extender and instead of buying a new AC extender I was thinking about upgrading to a WiFi 6 AX setup.

Upon research I noticed there are several systems such as Netgear Orbi, Asus ZenWifi, and Linksys Velop however I could also piece together a Netgear Nighthawk AX8 AX6600 + Netgear Nighthawk AX6000 EAX80 extender for roughly the same price.

Is it better to get the dedicated Mesh systems or would buying a standalone router and separate extender be better performance?
All my devices are AC at the moment but I would like to future proof of course.

I would prefer whatever will be best for streaming Plex and gaming from my basement which will require some sort of range extender.

Thanks

Last edited:
Whatever is best is to run a cable. You do not need wifi 6 for plex or gaming, the limit is your internet connection.

Whatever is best is to run a cable. You do not need wifi 6 for plex or gaming, the limit is your internet connection.
However I do need a better 5ghz signal in the basement. If anyone has a recommendation on a mesh or router and extender configuration then let me know

Get a set of powerlines and move the extender downstairs or hardwire both machines to the powerline adapter--much, much better than any wifi extender or even wifi in general since your ping time will be 10x less. Be sure to get the newest/fastest powerlines too. And if you're got cable wires in both locations, moca adapters can give you full gigabit speeds just like an ethernet wire would.

You're already using an ASUS router, have you considered AIMesh? It's super easy to use. I'd just put the new Wifi6 router as the "host" router and use your already available AC2600 as the AImesh repeater. It won't repeat Wifi 6 for obvious reasons but you will get the full range and capabilities of your AC2600 router on the same network.

I use an Asus AC5300 and hardline 1GB ethernet (ran through the attic) to an Asus RT68u that's in AImesh mode, the coverage between the two is fantastic and even with my house filled with Google Home devices spread throughout the house and are technically using different WIFI bands, everything talks to eachother perfectly.
Both routers were using MERLIN-WRT firmware, though I don't think that the firmware on the secondary router matters at all.

You can AImesh with purely wireless as well if that's what's required.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/

Back