Wifey was very giving last night!

cmosdos

2[H]4U
I dunno if its the pregnancy or I did something right for a change... but lookie what wifey let me buy last night:

- Canon RebelXT with 18-55mm kit lense
- Canon 420ex Speedlite Flash
- 58mm UV filter
- 58mm Circular Polarizer (on hold - out of stock)
- 2gb CF card
- Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 II/III USM EF Lens (on hold - out of stock. possibly looking at the IS version? more on that below)
- Good size bag to hold all of this stuff
*Was going to buy an extra battery, but my birthday is next month so I will get that then.

So whatcha think? I know its taboo to post this without having some 'first pics' to show off. But, I am leaving today for my sister-in-law's wedding this weekend. So there will be plenty of pictures when I get back.

Comments on the 75-300mm lense? Note that this is the regular USM lense, not the DO. The DO glass is a bit out of my price range at the moment. I am interested in comments of the IS (image stablizer) version. Its about twice the price to have the IS... is it really worth it? I will be using the lense for mostly nature shots with some street scene use. My hands aren't the most stable in the world, but my lack of knowledge of how the IS system work has me in doubt of the capabilities.

Feel free to share comments and suggestions!

hahahaha whew I was totally expecting something different.. sorry guess my mind is in the gutter even @ 7 in the morning

Syndicated_Death said:
hahahaha whew I was totally expecting something different.. sorry guess my mind is in the gutter even @ 7 in the morning

Heh, that's what I was just thinking...

Yeah, especially given it's under the Photography header. Kinda like all those "help me with my sister's box" threads.

cmosdos said:
Comments on the 75-300mm lense? Note that this is the regular USM lense, not the DO. The DO glass is a bit out of my price range at the moment. I am interested in comments of the IS (image stablizer) version. Its about twice the price to have the IS... is it really worth it? I will be using the lense for mostly nature shots with some street scene use. My hands aren't the most stable in the world, but my lack of knowledge of how the IS system work has me in doubt of the capabilities.
Very nice setup.

I have the EF 75-300mm f4.0-5.6 IS USM lens and I LOVE it. Its quick, and the image stabilizer pays for itself when taking those 200+mm shots. The lens does come at a bit more of a premium, but I feel that it was worth the extra cash.
Here's a link for the place where I get my lenses.. and they have both of the 75-300mm lenses in stock. :)
Very good store with a good reputation, great prices, and fast shipping.
OneCall Photography

I have the 75-300 IS lens, and it's a good lens. I haven't used it much since I bought the 70-200 f/4 L. If you can swing it, I'd say go for the IS version.

hate to chime in with my comments...

what the wife let you buy????????

maaaaannnnnnnn......leykis 101 all the way bro. what she lety you buy? BAH! what you bought with your own hard earned money i would hope. the woman dont let u do anything, you just do it! ok enough of my rant thatss all i had to say ;)

Before you head for the wedding, I would recommend to add the Canon 50 mm F1.8 II, great for indoor portraints without flash. For $70-$80, you wouldn't regret it.

Just let he wife know, it's a must for bady pictures :D

Great camera, I just got mine a few days ago. There is not really much to take pictures around here but I am sure the opportunity to take interesting pictures will come soon enough.

The wedding went great! I wasn't able to get the lenses before going, but I did order the 75-300 IS and the 50mm f1.8. I think this setup should provide a good range of capabilities while I hone my skills. I was able to get a few good shots at the wedding. Certainly nothing the pro there achomplished (I got to see some of his shots before the night was over). He was extremely nice and knowledgable. He spent a lot of his down time showing me some features and giving me tips in between shots. Now I just have to shoot, shoot, shoot! Here's a photo I took of the ring bearer passed out during the reception:

ColtonSleeping.jpg

Nice Wifey... good girl!

Just a tip, don't bother with the $90.00 canon batteries. I picked up a couple of 1500mah NB2LH batteries on Ebay for $1.40 each ( plus $10.00 shipping, the bastards) and they last longer than my stock battery. Even if you don't want Ebay, you can find them all over the net @ $20.00 each.

Oh, and go ahead an plan on the BG-E3 Battery Grip for your birthday instead. It is the best (non-lens) item you can buy for the Rebel Xt, guaranteed. Not only does it give you massive shooting time (1000 shots or more), it gives you a second set of controls so you can shoot portrait mode without contorting. Better control with a big lens and, almost as importantl, it looks cool as hell :D

P3N1X[H] said:
hate to chime in with my comments...

what the wife let you buy????????

maaaaannnnnnnn......leykis 101 all the way bro. what she lety you buy? BAH! what you bought with your own hard earned money i would hope. the woman dont let u do anything, you just do it! ok enough of my rant thatss all i had to say ;)

Now that we have heard from the resident virgin.... :rolleyes: :p

What?!?! No pics? Geeze...

But yeah, nice pick up on the camera stuffs!!!

[nCn]Preacher said:
Nice Wifey... good girl!

Just a tip, don't bother with the $90.00 canon batteries. I picked up a couple of 1500mah NB2LH batteries on Ebay for $1.40 each ( plus $10.00 shipping, the bastards) and they last longer than my stock battery. Even if you don't want Ebay, you can find them all over the net @ $20.00 each.

Oh, and go ahead an plan on the BG-E3 Battery Grip for your birthday instead. It is the best (non-lens) item you can buy for the Rebel Xt, guaranteed. Not only does it give you massive shooting time (1000 shots or more), it gives you a second set of controls so you can shoot portrait mode without contorting. Better control with a big lens and, almost as importantl, it looks cool as hell :D

I tried finding 1500mah batteries but haven't had any luck. Mostly 1000mah. Accstation (ebay store) has 1000mah batteries for about 9 bucks after shipping. I've ordered stuff from them before and they've been excellent. I might have to look into that. Is the quality going to be on par with Canon's? Heck, I guess even if it isn't, I can buy 6 batteries for the price of one of Canon's.

I've really been wanting the BG-E3 Battery Grip. Most places price them at about $150 though. Wifey has been so patient with my photography hobby... I might have to wait a month or so for that one. Try to gather up birthday money from everyone. It seems the older you get, the less presents and money you get. But you also get cooler toys! :)

Have you been to the Asheboro zoo? Wifey and I are thinking about going there this weekend if the weather is nice. Any shooting tips for there? I've never been to that zoo before.

cmosdos said:
I tried finding 1500mah batteries but haven't had any luck. Mostly 1000mah. Accstation (ebay store) has 1000mah batteries for about 9 bucks after shipping. I've ordered stuff from them before and they've been excellent. I might have to look into that. Is the quality going to be on par with Canon's? Heck, I guess even if it isn't, I can buy 6 batteries for the price of one of Canon's.

Have you been to the Asheboro zoo? Wifey and I are thinking about going there this weekend if the weather is nice. Any shooting tips for there? I've never been to that zoo before.

For the batteries, check for auctions by eforcity on ebay. Do a search for nb2lh in Cameras and there are batteries for $1.40 (shipping sucks, but still better overall than any other price I have seen) These are the folks I ordered from, the batteries were advertised as 1000mah but when they came, they are 1500mah.

As for the zoo, I haven't been. Is it supposed to be a good zoo? Maybe it is time for a road trip.

The battery grip? I got mine brand new for 80 bucks. I will dig up the link and post it. I just need another battery. And I ordered a battery off e-bay. They said it was genuine, but it was some Chinese knock-off, I sent it back.

BG-E1 for 80 bucks!!!

Lamont said:
The battery grip? I got mine brand new for 80 bucks. I will dig up the link and post it. I just need another battery. And I ordered a battery off e-bay. They said it was genuine, but it was some Chinese knock-off, I sent it back.

BG-E1 for 80 bucks!!!

That's a nice price, but he needs a BG-E3 (He has a Rebel XT, not the standard Rebel)

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/search.asp ($149.99 + SH)

[nCn]Preacher said:
For the batteries, check for auctions by eforcity on ebay. Do a search for nb2lh in Cameras and there are batteries for $1.40 (shipping sucks, but still better overall than any other price I have seen) These are the folks I ordered from, the batteries were advertised as 1000mah but when they came, they are 1500mah.

As for the zoo, I haven't been. Is it supposed to be a good zoo? Maybe it is time for a road trip.

Thanks for the tips. I've been very impressed with battery life so far. I shot from 2pm to 11pm with flash, filled up a 1gb card, and a quarter of another 1gb card and the battery was still going strong. I'll have to try for the grip and the batteries towards the end of June (b-day).

The zoo is supposed to be excellent! Its the largest walk-through zoo in the United States. They have a huge Africa section with species native to that part of the world, as well as a North American section. Check it out at www.nczoo.org. The weather is looking very good for this weekend so wifey and I are planning to go there Saturday. We live just a few miles from the Speedway, so it will be nice to get away from all that traffic and 200,000 people.

Lamont, thanks for the tip on the BG-E1, but like preacher said... I need the BG-E3.

cmosdos said:
The zoo is supposed to be excellent! Its the largest walk-through zoo in the United States. They have a huge Africa section with species native to that part of the world, as well as a North American section. Check it out at www.nczoo.org. The weather is looking very good for this weekend so wifey and I are planning to go there Saturday. We live just a few miles from the Speedway, so it will be nice to get away from all that traffic and 200,000 people.
BG-E3.

How far away is Asheboro? My wife loves zoos as well and will want to go visit some weekend.

[nCn]Preacher said:
How far away is Asheboro? My wife loves zoos as well and will want to go visit some weekend.

Its just one hour. Take hwy 49 north till you get to ashboro and it turns to 49/64. Then take hwy 159. I've driven past it many times... just never stopped for it. Should be a good day trip this weekend.

I'm not sure where around Charlotte you live, but I'm just north in Harrisburg. Here's a map:

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...=7uC3uDso8zg=&2g=KTsAFmP7HRE=&2v=ADDRESS&2pl=

cmosdos said:
Its just one hour. Take hwy 49 north till you get to ashboro and it turns to 49/64. Then take hwy 159. I've driven past it many times... just never stopped for it. Should be a good day trip this weekend.

I'm not sure where around Charlotte you live, but I'm just north in Harrisburg. Here's a map:

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...=7uC3uDso8zg=&2g=KTsAFmP7HRE=&2v=ADDRESS&2pl=

Sweet, thanks! I am just South of you in the University Area. I am just a few miles from the track (I can hear them on a cloudy night)

Sounds like a good day trip... hmm... I am off Friday and Tuesday, so this weekend might doable. :cool:

Wow... we're probably just 10 minutes from each other. We should get together sometime. I am thinking about heading over to UNCC tonight and try some night shots.

cmosdos said:
Wow... we're probably just 10 minutes from each other. We should get together sometime. I am thinking about heading over to UNCC tonight and try some night shots.

Sounds like a winner. Tonight is out, but I can see a photo shoot in our future. I am dying to go back to the Raptor habitat again, ever been?

im sorry im not married so i dont know this, but it strikes me as odd to have to ask permission to buy something with YOUR money...you go to work and earn the $$ that means you should spend your $$ on what ever the hell you want to ...

cell_491 said:
im sorry im not married so i dont know this, but it strikes me as odd to have to ask permission to buy something with YOUR money...you go to work and earn the $$ that means you should spend your $$ on what ever the hell you want to ...

Well, being married is quite different from being single. When you single, you have your own money and you can do whatever you want with it. As long as you pay your rent, and buy some food, you can blow it all away as you choose.

However, being married is a completly different ball game. First off, we have two incomes. So, there is no 'my money'. Its 'our' money. If I want to buy something expensive, it cuts funds from our budget. Same goes for wifey. She can't just go blow $300 on a dress she likes. Its all about compromise and sacrifice.

In addition to all that, we also have a baby on the way, mortgage to pay, two cars, a kitty that likes to eat hair bows, other bills, and still funds to go out together and have fun. So you see.... I go to work, and I earn $$. But she goes to work and earns $$ as well. If we were to follow your philosophy, we could spend it on whatever we want. But, if we put our money together, we can have even more.

[nCn]Preacher said:
Sounds like a winner. Tonight is out, but I can see a photo shoot in our future. I am dying to go back to the Raptor habitat again, ever been?

Is that over there at Reedy Creek park? I know they have some sort of nature preserve, but I've never been in there. I've walked many miles on the trails there. I had a lot of great pictures from there, but lost them due to a hard drive crash awhile back.

cmosdos said:
Well, being married is quite different from being single. When you single, you have your own money and you can do whatever you want with it. As long as you pay your rent, and buy some food, you can blow it all away as you choose.

However, being married is a completly different ball game. First off, we have two incomes. So, there is no 'my money'. Its 'our' money. If I want to buy something expensive, it cuts funds from our budget. Same goes for wifey. She can't just go blow $300 on a dress she likes. Its all about compromise and sacrifice.

In addition to all that, we also have a baby on the way, mortgage to pay, two cars, a kitty that likes to eat hair bows, other bills, and still funds to go out together and have fun. So you see.... I go to work, and I earn $$. But she goes to work and earns $$ as well. If we were to follow your philosophy, we could spend it on whatever we want. But, if we put our money together, we can have even more.
one of the many reasons ill never get married...i like doing what i want when i want but i guess having sex whenever you want isnt that bad either :D

cell_491 said:
...i like doing what i want when i want but i guess having sex whenever you want isnt that bad either :D

:eek: After ten years of marriage, neither of above statements are true :mad:

Although we (married ppl) have more saving in the bank than the single days, too many responsibilities too.

cmosdos said:

I agree :)

Back