Wife and my iMessages all messed up despite two different iCloud accounts.

Kabob

2[H]4U
My wife and I share an AppleID but have two separate iCloud accounts for contacts and iMessage and whatnot. Originally we had the same iCloud account and didn't use iMessage but about a month or so ago I created my own.

All has worked perfectly fine until Saturday where I had a strange message on my phone saying that one of our devices (I think it was our iPad) was going to use the AppleID for Facetime. I didn't really think anything of it, but yesterday we both texted the same person and my messaged appeared on her phone as being sent by her. Now when she texts me everything she types appears twice on her phone as well, and anything I send to someone who's using iMessage appears as coming from her and on her phone.

Her iMessages is set up to use her AppleID and mine is set to use my separate, unaffiliated iCloud account, I checked in settings and neither my phone number, email, or anything is toggled on as an attached number/address to send from. The only change I've made is I changed my phone's name the other day, but nothing on iCloud or any account or anything.

Anyone have an idea what could be going on?

The "strange message" is iCloud syncing telling you that the address was somehow added for use with the feature, either Facetime or iMessage.

Go into Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive on all relevant iOS devices and make sure that the addresses listed there are correct. iCloud may have re-added the address in question; the change may not have synced properly or it may not have been made on all devices.

If it keeps happening, then you'll want to try opening a new conversation thread in Messages.

The "strange message" is iCloud syncing telling you that the address was somehow added for use with the feature, either Facetime or iMessage.

Go into Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive on all relevant iOS devices and make sure that the addresses listed there are correct. iCloud may have re-added the address in question; the change may not have synced properly or it may not have been made on all devices.

If it keeps happening, then you'll want to try opening a new conversation thread in Messages.

My suggestion as well.

My iPhone is using my my iCloud account and is using my phone number only for iMessage. My wife's phone is using her AppleID email and phone number for iMessage, the iPad isn't using iMessage at all.

When I was trying to make my own iCloud account I originally did it from my phone while logged into her AppleID and it merged it to the account so I made a separate iCloud account on my computer which is completely free standing.

Also, now when conversing with my wife it seems to keep switching back and forth between iMessage and normal text messages. Typically it seems that if I don't message her for a while it reverts to a text message but if I message her several times in a row it sticks with iMessage, although that could be wrong. Usually when I leave the conversation window and then come back to it they all show up as iMessages.

My wife and I had similar happen with our iPhones. What surprised me is that she uses a Verizon iPhone and I use an AT&T (obviously not on the same contract).

She somehow managed to add my phone number and iMessage info to her phone. Had she not started questioning the text messages, I would never have known that she added them.

All messages I sent appeared on her phone as if she had sent them. She started receiving ALL my text messages (sent to either my phone number or to my email address), until I dug around in her settings and found the appropriate settings to remove.

I still have no idea how she is able to view text messages sent to my phone number.

My son, wife, and I had a similar problem a few weeks after getting our 4s'... I somehow got all of my son's contacts, and he got mine. The wife an I had major problems with our calendars syncing (using Google calendar). Problem was we sere set to sync with iCoud AND Google, which messed everything up. Google calendar & contacts are apparently not compatible with iCloud.

Back