Wierd issues with new i7 build, cant install OS

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently built the i7 rig in my sig, no problems, loaded up windows 7 RC, everything installs fine, but after a few restarts, the whole thing becomes corrupt, till I can no longer do anything but boot into the desktop. This happened a few times, so I tried installing XP and Vista, both seem to copy the files fine, but then when it restarts to boot to the HDD, it says NTDLR missing(XP), BOOTMGR is missing(Vista). I have also switched HDDs and the issue still arises,

Is there a problem with a BIOS setting? or maybe a bad IDE controller?

haha, money is tight around here, and I barely squeezed in the parts neccesary for i7, it wont be till next month or Sept that I can add the rest of the parts(RAM, HDD, monitor, GPU)

The last time I read a post like this I asked the guy if he was OCed and he said yes, but refused to set the clock back to stock to see if it fixes it. Should I ask it again?

The last time I read a post like this I asked the guy if he was OCed and he said yes, but refused to set the clock back to stock to see if it fixes it. Should I ask it again?

BUT IM TELLING YOU ITS STABLE! :D really though id get a new hdd..

not OCing at all, BIOS has been updated and set to defaults

an ide drive with a core i7?
Thats like putting a jensen radio in your corvette. Sure itll work, but you want something better to match your car :p

an ide drive with a core i7?
Thats like putting a jensen radio in your corvette. Sure itll work, but you want something better to match your car :p

not quite, its like putting a corvette engine in a geo metro, or racing seats in a school bus, or 14" steel wheels on your bentley.

yeah, yeah, i know...

its the best I can do with limited funds and time

its like putting a corvette engine in a geo metro
Uhh that would be badass. HP/Weight ratio ftw :cool:

Anyways, IDE is fine. A lot of people run in IDE mode anyways for their sata drives. I don't like AHCI mode becuase it puts my HDD in safe to remove hardware and I don't want to stare at that icon all day long.

Neither does mine.

Although once I re-install 7 I'll be turning AHCI mode off. I don't use any of its features and all it does is add 10 seconds to my boot time.

so heres the deal, the hard drive worked fine in my back up rig, HDTune came back clean, AND the WD diagnostic tool ALSO came back clean, im thinking it has to be something else, a mobo setting or bad controller seems to be the obvious things

so heres the deal, the hard drive worked fine in my back up rig, HDTune came back clean, AND the WD diagnostic tool ALSO came back clean, im thinking it has to be something else, a mobo setting or bad controller seems to be the obvious things

I'd RMA the board if you ruled out the cable and the drive, as well as the RAM.

Neither does mine.

Although once I re-install 7 I'll be turning AHCI mode off. I don't use any of its features and all it does is add 10 seconds to my boot time.

Yah, thats the only thing I hate (added boot time). Though, I need it for my external HDDs. :(

I'd RMA the board if you ruled out the cable and the drive, as well as the RAM.

The RAM passed Memtest86+

and I bought the board used from a user here, I guess I'll see what I can do

Well, it wasn't me, but if it were, I'd help you get it RMA'd, lol. Ask Foxconn for an RMA first -- most mobo companies don't require proof of purchase as long as the product manufacture date is within the warranty period.

just sent a support ticket to foxconn, says they have a 3-year warrenty on mobos, and contacted the seller to see if he knew about this issue

This sounds very similar to my problem.

Well I need some help. I really hope someone can help.

I finally bought a new setup and have put it all together.

It is.....

Core i7 920 Processor
Foxconn Flaming Blade GTI x58 Motherboard
HIS 4850 ATI Vid card 1 gig
6g of kingston ddr3 ram
PQI 64gig ssd drive sata

Build went aok and booted up straight away. I installed Windows 7 build 7100.
This all appeared ok and very fast until I tried to connect to the internet.
I connect via a dlink router but couldnt get onto internet. Could see other computers on my network
and copy files to and from it but the outside world via the net was a nogo.
It seemed to think I was on a public network even though I selected home network during os install.
Windows 7 refused to change it and I tried a multitude of suggestions I found on various forums for users
who seemed to have the same problem.
It was all in vain and the problem persisted.

I have tried this with and without the router.... no go.

No biggy I thought. Its early days for win7 and is probably something twitchy.
I'll install the copy of vista 64bit I bought with the components.

I formatted the ssd and installed vista 64 bit.

It refused to boot with the dreaded bootmgr missing message.
I attempted getting the windows install disk to repair the installation but still bootmgr is missing.

I researched this error and again tried many suggestions for repairing it.

I tried reinstalling the OS a couple of more times after that.

Ok, maybe the ssd isnt working properly. These items are new to me so I disconnected the ssd and installed my
old 40 gig seagate ide drive.

Installed vista 64 bit and ...... bootmgr missing. Sigh.

Maybe I have a dud install disk. Grabbed my old vista 32 bit install disk.

Installed vista 32 bit and ...... bootmgr missing. Sigh.

So the windows disk and the ssd have been taken out of equation.

Has to be the motherboard. I am about to look for updated bios and flash it if there is something more recent.

I really am stumped and this has been going on for over a week.

Maybe its a bios setting who knows. Its not overclocked and has been many fresh installs.

If anyone knows what may be amiss and how to rectify it, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

PaddyTB

60gb IDE HDD and 1gig of ram...

Seriously you would have been better off with a cheaper core2/phenom2 setup and a shed load of ram and fast HDD.

Finally got my hands on a SATA hdd, installed XP on it, now im updating and installing drivers, software and restarting without issue

60gb IDE HDD and 1gig of ram...

Seriously you would have been better off with a cheaper core2/phenom2 setup and a shed load of ram and fast HDD.

LGA775 has no future, and Intel > AMD for top CPU.

DDR3 RAM and SSD HDDs will plummet in the near future so no biggie, im actually very happy considering my ex-main rig is now my backup rig :D

So SATA took care of my problem, but it was still bothering me that I had problems with the IDE controller. Today I decided to pop in my old IDE drive and mess around with the BIOS, well, after 4 hours or so and about a dozen re-installs, I found a combination of IDE settings that work! I don't know what is going on, maybe the Jmicron controller needed to be configured for IDE drives because the default settings wouldn't work.

I believe I turned AHCI on and turned off Legacy IDE, let me reboot and find out

ok I disabled the FDC,(Floppy Drive Controller, I assume) and set the Jmicron controller for IDE and eSata to AHCI + IDE

86 5.0L you are a champ.

That fixed it.

Windows 7 must be able to cope with it but XP and vista couldnt.

Changed the settings as per your post and vista64 installed and booted aok.

:cool:

Thanks for posting your solution. I cant believe it was that simple in the end.

PaddyTB

Back