Wierd Behavior

whitewale

Limp Gawd
I appologize for the title, but I just don't know what else to call it. I have Comcast broadband, usually get up to 3 Mbs, with very high uptime. This weekend I had my usual good connection (I play an online game and staid connected well, with sub 100 ms pings). But I could not reach a single website. Multiple computers, several borwsers (I even tried IE), nothing. All websites came back with timeouts or "document contains no data" errors. Lasted about 24 h then everything came back up. DNS lookup was fine, ping to known IPs was fine. Just no way to reach any website.
Anyone got any idea what can cause something like that?

hmmm... very unusual, that. empty data packets had no trouble, but you couldn't get anything else in?

hmmm... i've never heard of that before.

DNS server problems usually give you "website no found" errors, while "connecting to website". In my case, the browser usually got stuck in "waiting for website", what usually means it succesfully contacted the appropriate server, but did not get a download response.
And yep, I've never heard of that either.

Try adjusting the Trasmission speed of your NIC. Lower it incrementally from 100 full to 100 half, 10 full, 10 half and see if that helps. I had similar issues with my laptop and that fixed it.

Back