Widespread Comcast outages last night? Why?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
Most of the SF Bay Area lost Comcast/Xfinity service last night. So did other metro areas. Any have any ideas as to the root cause? Can't be just the storm that hit the Bay Area last night.

I live on the west coast, but not in Marin County, CA. I didn't even bother to call Comcast. I knew better ...

Comcast had outage earlier this AM impacting Chicago. Didn’t notice any impact to my service outside of Chicago.

you called 911 because your internet was out?!
"Marin County Sheriff's office that said, "Please do not call 911 to ask why your Internet is out. Call your Internet service provider."
https://arstechnica.com/information...s-tens-of-thousands-of-users-report-problems/
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Widespread+Comcast+outages+last+night?&aqs=edge..69i57j69i60l2&FORM=ANCMS9&PC=U531
What else you going to use 911 for in San Francisco. Crime is basically legal there!

Sure, but San Francisco is NOT in Marin County. That county is north of SF.

I'm the OP here. right now, where I live, Comcast is up and running, but the internet service at least seems slow or erratic for uploads.

Comcast had outage earlier this AM impacting Chicago. Didn’t notice any impact to my service outside of Chicago.
I got a report from Tinley that it was down. Thank goodness none of my business accounts were effected. Got a report that it's down again today.
*hugs home fiber*

I work for a small MSP near Philly and the whole tri-state area was was affected by this. Massive Comcast outages yesterday.

It was all over the news just googling "comcast outage".

Its comcrap? dont they have DNS server issues at least once a summer? they have always been bad.

Probably a peer route issue or a major backbone fiber cut up-stream... who these days

My wife had mentioned this, but I didn't check my logs to see what was going on.

Okay, so my thinkbroadband monitor showed that around midnight cst it was down for about an hour, ie ping from uk couldn't get through.
c7ff83ad294bd4fd6b7ebe97c19440763cde418-09-11-2021.png

But that's a pretty minor outage. It is concerning that it hit multiple metros, but sounds like an 'oops' in maintenance or something that got fixed very quickly.

Between 6pm-9pm on the 14th there was quite a bit of latency and jitter along with some packet loss, but nothing I haven't seen before. All the other hours it's been humming along fairly nicely. Of all the isps I deal with (spectrum business, spectrum, wow, and comcast), from the graphs it shows that comcast is actually the most reliable. :whistle:

My wife had mentioned this, but I didn't check my logs to see what was going on.

Okay, so my thinkbroadband monitor showed that around midnight cst it was down for about an hour, ie ping from uk couldn't get through.
View attachment 413280

But that's a pretty minor outage. It is concerning that it hit multiple metros, but sounds like an 'oops' in maintenance or something that got fixed very quickly.

Between 6pm-9pm on the 14th there was quite a bit of latency and jitter along with some packet loss, but nothing I haven't seen before. All the other hours it's been humming along fairly nicely. Of all the isps I deal with (spectrum business, spectrum, wow, and comcast), from the graphs it shows that comcast is actually the most reliable. :whistle:
I have been a Comcast customer for years and years now. In general, service is quite reliable, but I have no recent basis for comparison. I don't like their new X1 system because of all the monthly charges, but we are happy enough with the "older" cable TV service, plus Internet, and VoIP phone service. (Adios, Baby Bells. With all the damn mergers I don't even know what Pac Bell is called now. :ROFLMAO: )

And when I do have a service issue, I find their second level support quite good.

I just deal with their Internet and the wife relies on it for work from home. Usually in such a use case, I'd have a second isp wired up too, but she hasn't had any really bad issues, and dealing with att is a pita.

Back