Widescreen not working on Windows Live Movie Maker

c00LaS1cE

Limp Gawd
I'm breaking up a widescreen video into smaller parts and WLMM (Windows 7) is not letting me create the clips in widescreen. I split up the video, select "widescreen" under aspect ratio under the view tab, select save movie as standard definition, and my movie ends up the same exact format as if I had left it on the standard 4:3 ratio. Any help is appreciated.

Here's what it's supposed to look like:
ws.png

Here's what I end up getting:
notws.png

select save movie as standard definition

I think that step is what's tripping you up. Go here, click on the second question ("What video file formats can I choose to publish my movie in Windows Movie Maker?") and find out what setting you were using and what it actually does.

The bottom video is 16:9. You just need to right click and hit 'full screen'.

On a side note. WMP and DVD Maker see 16:9 a little differently than other video players. I've had some 16:9 video burnt to DVD's that ended up as 4:3 because it wasn't the exact 16:9 format needed by DVD Maker wants. You have to import it to Movie Maker, switch it to 16:9 Wide screen then export it again to end up with the proper 16:9. Point is for your situation is that the 16:9 original may be slightly different that the 16:9 that is the result from WLMM output.

On a side note. WMP and DVD Maker see 16:9 a little differently than other video players. I've had some 16:9 video burnt to DVD's that ended up as 4:3 because it wasn't the exact 16:9 format needed by DVD Maker wants. You have to import it to Movie Maker, switch it to 16:9 Wide screen then export it again to end up with the proper 16:9. Point is for your situation is that the 16:9 original may be slightly different that the 16:9 that is the result from WLMM output.

?

it doesn't do them differently. Older DVD's were encoded in a 4:3 aspect ratio (With the 16:9 movie inside that) cause TV's weren't wide screen.

I think that step is what's tripping you up. Go here, click on the second question ("What video file formats can I choose to publish my movie in Windows Movie Maker?") and find out what setting you were using and what it actually does.

evilsofa - When I choose to save it as Widescreen 480p it gives me the same exact results

bigdogchris - Nope, it's full screen...and I'm not using DVD Maker, just WLMM

On an unrelated note, why are the file sizes from created movies so much bigger than with the previous version of WMM? I can create the same exact file from a clip that was made from an older version and the file sizes are literally twice the size, but the quality is exactly the same.

Back