Wicked Lasers Spyder III Arctic 1W Blue Laser *screaming*

Status
Not open for further replies.
To everyone whining that the Govt. should control these lasers...

It's voters like you that have given politicians far too much control over our lives already.
It's voters like you that have given politicians the power to strip us every day of one more freedom, and the power to deny us our right to make our own choices in life... be they stupid choices or not.

Like what? Specifically. Name one function that it actually makes sense to use this thing for.

Exactly, there is not 1 use for this type of laser. Not one. Not for laser light shows, not for pointing, nothing.

The people who buy this will most likely be ones to play around with it and end up hurting themself or someone else.

Low powered laser cutting for one (CNC cutting of gold foil for example). CNC wood burning is another. It's already been posted in this thread, so I don't know why I'd expect you to suddenly start paying attention to it now.

Low powered laser cutting for one (CNC cutting of gold foil for example). CNC wood burning is another. It's already been posted in this thread, so I don't know why I'd expect you to suddenly start paying attention to it now.

If any of the laser haters agreed with this they would have to agree that this laser is not solely a weapon, which is the point that I have been trying to make to some degree, however, they will dogmatically keep their weapon stance so it is useless to have any sensible conversation about this cool, yet dangerous laser.

Did you see the part about it being 1W laser? 1KW laser cuts metal, buddy. :rolleyes:

I think I had KW/hour stuck in my head because I was thinking about something that involved that and that is what ended up in the post rather than 1W.

And how did people do these tasks before these inexpensive lasers were available?

To everyone whining that the Govt. should control these lasers...

It's voters like you that have given politicians far too much control over our lives already.
It's voters like you that have given politicians the power to strip us every day of one more freedom, and the power to deny us our right to make our own choices in life... be they stupid choices or not.

There's a few things that should be of limited or regulated availability in a civilized society because, lets be honest, there are a lot of morons in the world. Assault rifles, hand grenades, and pocket-sized-high-powered-flesh-searing-blindness-inducing-from-40-miles-away lasers seem to fall under that category to name a few.

I still want one.

Via less efficient and more costly methods?

Do you actually know the methods this is currently achieved with, or are you merely speculating?

Somehow I find the idea of mounting this non-custom laser to a CNC machine to be hackish. A customized laser attachment that only functions when mounted to a CNC machine would be significantly safer and functionally equivalent (if not superior). Even if that was indeed the most efficient and or cost effective approach, does the current alternative run the risk of blinding someone who walks in without knowing the machine was running?

I am by no means wanting these things outlawed. I don't want our federal gov't involved at all. Individual states should set laws against the use of lasers used in ways to harm people. Don't outlaw the product because of stupid people, lock up the stupid people.

Stupid should be outlawed

Do you actually know the methods this is currently achieved with, or are you merely speculating?

Somehow I find the idea of mounting this non-custom laser to a CNC machine to be hackish. A customized laser attachment that only functions when mounted to a CNC machine would be significantly safer and functionally equivalent (if not superior). Even if that was indeed the most efficient and or cost effective approach, does the current alternative run the risk of blinding someone who walks in without knowing the machine was running?

Right, we should outlaw all non-mega corporations for making any products. Furthermore we should do everything to stifle any kind of hobbyist or home inventions. While we're at it, lets do everything to stifle innovation while we're at it. :rolleyes:

Just think about where we would be if Madame Curie and people like her didn't experiment with dangerous materials. Yes, people got hurt, including her, but her contributions have vastly helped society in countless ways.

Do you really want to outlaw the next Madame Curie?

Those crying for a total ban are completely out of line. However, if you are going to institute some sort of protection, the most sensible way to do it is to make a test similar to a HAM radio license for laser usage. You put in a few days studying, learn basic laser theory, pass the test, and you can buy blue lasers above 1w. I am somewhat okay with this, but the key is that If people take the time to study and understand a basic laser theory test and learn the power requirements and such, they should 100% be allowed to have it. This would prevent 99% of accidental damage and improper usage as people would have more respect for the power of the laser. However, the key is that everyone who passes the test should be able to get it. You can't start justifying giving it to certain people based on function or need. That's just wrong.

I am by no means wanting these things outlawed. I don't want our federal gov't involved at all. Individual states should set laws against the use of lasers used in ways to harm people. Don't outlaw the product because of stupid people, lock up the stupid people.

Stupid should be outlawed

Unfortunately you can't outlaw stupid, but you can prevent stupid acts by making laws.

Sure, we can prosecute the guilty, but you're only thinking about holding people responsible, whereas the act would be happening more frequently without laws in place. We should try to prevent shit from happening, and worry less about the prosecution after the fact.

It's like saying, you're alright with a family member being shot to pieces as long as the guy gets punished for it. Laws and regulations are in place so we don't get to that point. It's not 100% effective but you're ignorant to think that it doesn't help greatly to reduce the chances of this shit happening

Unfortunately you can't outlaw stupid, but you can prevent stupid acts by making laws.

Sure, we can prosecute the guilty, but you're only thinking about holding people responsible, whereas the act would be happening more frequently without laws in place. We should try to prevent shit from happening, and worry less about the prosecution after the fact.

It's like saying, you're alright with a family member being shot to pieces as long as the guy gets punished for it. Laws and regulations are in place so we don't get to that point. It's not 100% effective but you're ignorant to think that it doesn't help greatly to reduce the chances of this shit happening

So those of us with a clue continue to be punished because the human race has grown to the point that it can ignore the law of the jungle? I am, of course, referring to survival of the fittest. Unfortunately society has embraced the idiots and not held people accountable for their actions in so long.that people expect to be babysat and expect society to protect them rather than protect themselves. I really didn't want to step of a soapbox here, but It's time to change before "the stupids" take over for good.

No, not a CNC machine. A handheld laser like this one. One thing. Name one thing.

I'm not saying something like this should be outlawed. I just want to know one thing that a handheld laser like this is actually good for...something that truly justifies paying $200 for this thing.

Right, we should outlaw all non-mega corporations for making any products. Furthermore we should do everything to stifle any kind of hobbyist or home inventions. While we're at it, lets do everything to stifle innovation while we're at it. :rolleyes:

Strawman much? If suddenly strawmen are legitimate arguments, I can just explain how you think the government has no right to shutdown an individual building a nuclear weapon because it hurts the hobbyist :rolleyes:

My stance is that an item like this, one that no one has yet provided a legitimate consumer purpose for, should be considered a weapon first and foremost. And it should be considered it a fairly potent weapon. It even comes with a warning not to point it at airplanes.

From great distances this has the ability to cause some havoc. Imagine someone using this to blind drivers on a highway. Now consider that this will leave no physical evidence to identify a suspect.

As this is a weapon, its sale should be restricted. It has the potential to be as dangerous as a gun (and more dangerous in specific circumstances) with even fewer practical uses. You don't have to ban this outright, but some measures should be taken to control its sale. Ideally, one should have to obtain a license because the serious danger this laser poses could easily be overlooked. That allows cops to properly prosecute individuals who illegally obtain these (whether by black-market or deconstructing projectors - if that even works).

We argue, but nobody has received one yet. I'm thinking maybe a slither of common sense is starting to take place and people are realizing there isn't 1 reason to own this thing.

The CNC machine argument is senseless, this is a hand held and probably not very reliable at 1 watt. a CNC machine would have a very reliable diode/lense in a mount that is suitable for mounting in a machine, not a flashlight.

My stance is that an item like this, one that no one has yet provided a legitimate consumer purpose for, should be considered a weapon first and foremost. And it should be considered it a fairly potent weapon. It even comes with a warning not to point it at airplanes.

Fireworks
They have no legitimate use but to entertain.
Every year, they blind, burn, dismember, and otherwise maim people.
They can be used as weapons that are very difficult to trace, if used in a crowd.
But you can still buy them without so much as showing an ID. The only regulation is on the dealers.

BAN THOSE DANGEROUS FIREWORKS! Think of the children... the children!

What goes through your mind when you hear something like that? This is what goes through mine:
flip.jpg

(Flipping off people who make "think of the children" arguments, not you specifically.)​

And how did people do these tasks before these inexpensive lasers were available?

By buying lasers that cost thousands of dollars. You can buy them at wood working trade shows, by mail, word working shops, etc. This is just barely powerful enough to carve balsa and other very soft wood. But I'm sure a little modification could turn this thing into a multi-watt laser.

Last edited:
I ordered mine monday and still haven't received a shipping notice. Time to contact them and see what the scam/problem is.

I ordered mine monday and still haven't received a shipping notice. Time to contact them and see what the scam/problem is.

Keep in mind, this was one or two days after unveiling the laser:
Contacting their support took two days by email.
Contacting their support via live chat on their website took about three hours.
Contacting them by phone was reported to be much faster, but I never tried it.

Keep in mind, this was one or two days after unveiling the laser:
Contacting their support took two days by email.
Contacting their support via live chat on their website took about three hours.
Contacting them by phone was reported to be much faster, but I never tried it.

If you don't have the ability to fulfill the orders of a new product on sale, don't do it. However, if they reply back in a reasonable time frame (by COB Monday) to give me an update that would be fine.

edit:
just emailed me, 1-2 week shipping delay. They should have put that on the order page, but oh well.

When you go to the web page it says available. I'm thinking... is this a Dell deal :)

Fireworks
They can be used as weapons that are very difficult to trace, if used in a crowd.
But you can still buy them without so much as showing an ID. The only regulation is on the dealers.

BAN THOSE DANGEROUS FIREWORKS! Think of the children... the children!

Exactly... maybe just some regulation on dealers of those flesh burners? ;)

No offense, but the Fireworks analogy sucks. Fireworks are illegal in a lot of states, including the one where I live. I'm not going to say which is more dangerous, this laser or fireworks because there are too many variables (Are you talking about maximum possible harm, are you talking about how easy it is to induce an injury.. pressing a button vs. lighting a wick, etc)

Strawman much? If suddenly strawmen are legitimate arguments, I can just explain how you think the government has no right to shutdown an individual building a nuclear weapon because it hurts the hobbyist :rolleyes:
Slippery slope much?

No, it's not a fairly potent weapon. It might blind people, but so might a water pistol filled with HCl your eye. Or a gun. Or any other number of things. Furthermore, there are no documented cases of lasers bringing down aircraft, so keep stretching there.

From great distances this has the ability to cause some havoc. Imagine someone using this to blind drivers on a highway. Now consider that this will leave no physical evidence to identify a suspect.
Imagine someone shooting a gun. Unless they actually are able to procure the gun, they can't match it to anyone anyways. I bet if they find the laser in the dudes house a jury would convict.

As this is a weapon, its sale should be restricted. It has the potential to be as dangerous as a gun (and more dangerous in specific circumstances) with even fewer practical uses. You don't have to ban this outright, but some measures should be taken to control its sale. Ideally, one should have to obtain a license because the serious danger this laser poses could easily be overlooked. That allows cops to properly prosecute individuals who illegally obtain these (whether by black-market or deconstructing projectors - if that even works).
2nd Admendment. The founding fathers thought we should be able to bear arms. That includes cannons. I'm pretty sure cannons are more dangerous than this.

Fireworks

BAN THOSE DANGEROUS FIREWORKS! Think of the children... the children!​

Umm, fireworks are already regulated by the BATFE. Great example in favor of regulating handheld lasers.

Here's a tip. Instead of trying to draw analogies to other things, name a single use for a handheld laser like this. Just one.​

Umm, fireworks are already regulated by the BATFE. Great example in favor of regulating handheld lasers.

Here's a tip. Instead of trying to draw analogies to other things, name a single use for a handheld laser like this. Just one.

To cause bodily harm. That is about it!

Someone could claim that they want to burn images on wood, or something of that sort. I say to that, just use a soldering iron.

This whole discussion revolves around safety and this item. I have yet to see one legitimate reason to buy this product.

This has liked turned into a political debate here.. sheesh, it's just a laser...

The only people needing such lasers are research labs, either government, private or university type research. I am a chemist by trade and have worked with lasers in th epast and see no reason to own one. Sure it sounds cool to burn something but when you think of all the damage these thngs could so in the wrong hands. Name another weapon that an attacker could silently disable their victim from a good distance away. Someone could blind someone and then rob, beat, fondle or who knows what to them without making a sound and being far away. Or think of what stupid teenagers could do with it, the downside to people owning these FAR outweighs the benefits of burning stuff for fun. I wouldn't be suprised if someone's Home Owners policy wouldn't cover an accidents costs if they found out a high powered laser was involved either. If I have to register my dang gun and get a background check, people out to have to go through hoops and register these "weapons" also if they are going to allow the sale of them.

They probably won't ship, or won't be as advertised. I hope that they don't ship and people get a refund. I hope it isn't a big money making scam and then the company goes away with a couple million.

The only people needing such lasers are research labs, either government, private or university type research. I am a chemist by trade and have worked with lasers in th epast and see no reason to own one. Sure it sounds cool to burn something but when you think of all the damage these thngs could so in the wrong hands. Name another weapon that an attacker could silently disable their victim from a good distance away. Someone could blind someone and then rob, beat, fondle or who knows what to them without making a sound and being far away. Or think of what stupid teenagers could do with it, the downside to people owning these FAR outweighs the benefits of burning stuff for fun. I wouldn't be suprised if someone's Home Owners policy wouldn't cover an accidents costs if they found out a high powered laser was involved either. If I have to register my dang gun and get a background check, people out to have to go through hoops and register these "weapons" also if they are going to allow the sale of them.

well said.... the first thing I thought of was when some punk ass whoever threw a tomato at my car while I was on the freeway a couple months back... imagine if they would shined one of these things into my face... I can see far more damage being done by people who don't have the wisdom to wield such a device but could get their hands on one fairly easily with a $200 price tag.. Anyways.. and I personally think it's cool as hell and kind of want one just to have one.. but it just seems like to me idiot "pranksters" would cause a LOT of damage with these..

Do you really want to outlaw the next Madame Curie?

We're not talking about Madame Curie, we are talking about a frikkin laser beam! :p

No one is going to find a cure for cancer or end world famine or even something more minor from being able to buy this 1w laser.

I own a gun, so that means I am going to build an Iron Man suit and privatize world peace!!one!!!111!!!eleventyone!!111!

Slippery slope much?

No, it's not a fairly potent weapon. It might blind people, but so might a water pistol filled with HCl your eye. Or a gun. Or any other number of things. Furthermore, there are no documented cases of lasers bringing down aircraft, so keep stretching there.

Imagine someone shooting a gun. Unless they actually are able to procure the gun, they can't match it to anyone anyways. I bet if they find the laser in the dudes house a jury would convict.

2nd Admendment. The founding fathers thought we should be able to bear arms. That includes cannons. I'm pretty sure cannons are more dangerous than this.

Cannons are more dangerous? Really? Given you are making such an irrelevant and pointless comment, it's clear you have absolutely no understanding, and NO intention to attempt to understand any of the arguments or the real dangers involved here. You truly have gone above and beyond to prove you are not able to grasp the important points folks are trying to make.

And... a watergun with HCL? Please, tell us more. By the way, I predict there will be at least 1,000 of these 1W lasers in the pocket of a bar/club patron at some point, who also is likely to have 6+ drinks in his system. How many people bring waterguns with HCL in them to bars/clubs to impress people/showoff? Heck... how many people will bring waterguns with HCL in them to a bar/club in the next month?

Also, good job trying to turn this into another intarweb rage fest. It's OK, we get it. It's OK that you don't understand the point of why people are concerned. Great. Now, what exactly do you want?

By the way, if you answer the last question, also answer: where do you live (as specific as possible) and your work and pleasure habits, so I can ensure that myself, as well as anyone I might care about, can protect ourselves via avoidance where reasonable? Since you are against the only other kind of reasonable/possible mechanism for prevention (of (see next paragraph) accidents), surely you will provide this information without hesitation? As a matter of fact, it should even be completely public.

Or will your answer be that I (everyone) should buy a gun and shoot at you after lasering me (or any other dipship with this laser in public in a bar after about 7.5 beers)? Hopefully I can remember where he was, in case I was "accidentally blinded," by said random douchebag looking to impress his friends, bartender, passed out chick, whatever with his $200 blind anyone in the room in 0.21 seconds from 50 feet device. Oh wait, if I'm already blinded, then we're already past the point of which those arguing against this are trying to avoid. And I'll add my own personal "IMO," here, if I am already blinded, I will no longer give a fuck, and will not hesitate to expend the entire clip of whatever I happen to be carrying at the time in attempt to get revenge. I will aim at eye level, by the way. It is revenge, after all.

Last edited:
This reminds me of a what one guy said about his mustang. He had a fast car and had to put a cage in it to continue racing it. He said "The day I put the cage in this thing, was the day it became just like work".

Responsibly owning this thing is too much like work. You have to make sure EVERYBODY around you has the right (expensive) eye protection. You have to be concerned about reflections. You have to be concerned with where the beam goes. This is basically the same as owning a gun. Problem is, most people will probably treat this like a toy.

Amateur astronomy and astronomy education. Nuff said.

A green laser makes much more sense than a blue one for pointing at stars, and you certainly don't need 1 watt for that. If a 5mw green laser is powerful enough for stargazing, then that's hardly a legitimate use for a 1 watt blue laser. Try again.

Slippery slope much?

Slippery slope? I'd certainly hope you realize I was making an intentionally inane argument to point out that your strawman argument makes for unintelligent debate.

How precisely is it "stretching" for me to point out the warning they include on their own site about not pointing it at aircraft? That is their warning, not mine.

As for shooting a gun onto the highway, fatalities have been fairly low in highway shooting incidents. However, the ability to permanently blind numerous drivers poses a far more serious risk. You are dealing with an item that is significantly more accurate than a bullet, is a continuous stream, has no "ammo" limit beyond battery life, and leaves no forensic evidence.

Your cannon/HCl argument is rather silly. The argument against these lasers is the ease with which someone can do a significant amount of harm. A cannon is cumbersome, inaccurate, and conspicuous. A squirt gun filled with HCl is inaccurate, conspicuous, and short range.

When push comes to shove, no one has come up with a single legitimate reason (i.e. cannot be accomplished with a safer alternative) for this item. You don't have to infringe on one's right to bear arms here, but you should certainly regulate it.

Amateur astronomy and astronomy education. Nuff said.

You do realize that you do not need a watt laser to do star pointing right? Most recommend something in the 20-50 MW range. This laser is beyond overkill for star pointing.You are basically saying you should be allowed to carry around a katana to cut your steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back