Wicked Lasers Spyder III Arctic 1W Blue Laser *screaming*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this argument is that a hard drive and knife have real purposes.

What is the purpose of this thing other than to hurt people and burn things? Do you need to point at something in another room 30 miles away?

All you do is destroy the environment by driving a car and expelling waste, do we really need you? What purpose do you serve? This laser can have useful purposes like many other things, but you don't think about those other purpose other than how someone can get hurt by it, which makes me wonder, how much harm have you caused others using various objects? Surely you wouldn't say such things if you didn't have perosnal experience at some pont in your life whether you dealt it or ended up on the receiving end. I hope you aren't so dense that you miss the point.

This laser could be used for cutting things among other uses, and yes, it is dangerous and people can get hurt by it. Knives are not solely weapons, but tools that can be used for numerous other things besides hurting people. Should we ban you because your fists can hurt someone? It isn't the tool/weapon/whatever else that is the problem, it is people and motives.

Banning stuff like this won't solve the problem because the problem lies much deeper than external objects that can be used as weapons.

The more dangerous aspect to this thing is that you are far more likely to get cancer using the thing because of the spectrum where blue light falls. The recommend covering any exposed skin. I did some reading about this thing and I'd like to have one to try it out, but I don't think the risk is worth it.

lazer.jpg

I want to be able to cut my grass by laying down and sweeping my hand horizontally. Until then...

MORE POWER!

That is the most innovative idea yet. How nice would that be. Ohh the cut would be beautiful. It would also be great for those high reaching limbs you can't get to with your chainsaw. just cut it down from a safe distance.

Actually I'm staying away from this, and I LOVE working with lasers. I have kids, and one mistake with this, I couldn't live with myself. There is absolutely no reason to have this particular laser, except to do damage :confused: :eek:

All you do is destroy the environment by driving a car and expelling waste, do we really need you? What purpose do you serve? This laser can have useful purposes like many other things, but you don't think about those other purpose other than how someone can get hurt by it, which makes me wonder, how much harm have you caused others using various objects? Surely you wouldn't say such things if you didn't have perosnal experience at some pont in your life whether you dealt it or ended up on the receiving end. I hope you aren't so dense that you miss the point.

This laser could be used for cutting things among other uses, and yes, it is dangerous and people can get hurt by it. Knives are not solely weapons, but tools that can be used for numerous other things besides hurting people. Should we ban you because your fists can hurt someone? It isn't the tool/weapon/whatever else that is the problem, it is people and motives.

Banning stuff like this won't solve the problem because the problem lies much deeper than external objects that can be used as weapons.

The more dangerous aspect to this thing is that you are far more likely to get cancer using the thing because of the spectrum where blue light falls. The recommend covering any exposed skin. I did some reading about this thing and I'd like to have one to try it out, but I don't think the risk is worth it.

Your argument seems to be that the government has no right to ban or regulate dangerous items. So by extension, I assume if one could purchase a $200 hydrogen bomb, you would be comfortable with the idea that its sale was completely unrestricted?

problem with these lasers are you can harm someone very easily without anyone knowing who or what did it.

a gun makes a noise hard to miss, a knife is very bloody and short range. these thigns some kid could bring it to schoola nd fuck alot of peopel up before even being found out if ever.

you cant do that with a gun or knife ( the no one figure it out no time to react etc part)

I could see some punks grabbing these and shining them at people ( authority figures) while driving and have no way to get caught.

there are many many ways to harm/kill lots of people without anyone knowing about it, using everyday, easily obtainable materials. this is only one of them. there is no way that we could outlaw everything that has a dangerous potential, it would be futile to even try. if you are that concerned with what someone else might do to you, you have the power to leave this plane of existence yourself.

that being said- $700 will get you a 24 watt bank of lasers (the same place the makers of this got their diodes, from DL projectors), powerful enough to keep the squirrels off the bird feeder permanently, or to secure the airspace over your house or small country lol

http://www.da-entertainment.de/casio beamer/thumb.html

You crack me up man. You go on and on about how useful it could be but can't provide ... where it could be useful! :)

problem with these lasers are you can harm someone very easily without anyone knowing who or what did it.

a gun makes a noise hard to miss, a knife is very bloody and short range. these thigns some kid could bring it to schoola nd fuck alot of peopel up before even being found out if ever.

you cant do that with a gun or knife ( the no one figure it out no time to react etc part)

I could see some punks grabbing these and shining them at people ( authority figures) while driving and have no way to get caught.

I tried to make this point on a previous post - if you were at a gas station and someone yelled "Hey" - you'd look, get blinded, start screaming, everyone would wonder what you were screaming about, but since you only got about a 1/16 of a second look at the person before they hit your eyes, you wouldn't be able to ID them.

Guns and knifes leave a trail. This doesn't - unless someone sees you doing something odd - but what are the chances of that? For the most part, people like living in their little bubble worlds.

I love the people that call this a toy. Yes, a toy that will instantly blind anyone who looks at it without proper eye protection that cannot responsibly be used outdoors or in public should any living being be able to see it without said protection within MILES of your location.

What the hell is the point people? Anyone who has a valid use for this can well afford the price a 1W laser used to cost before this $200 death ray became available.

I'll admit I am a flashlight and laser fanatic but I would NEVER consider buying anything near this powerful. 1w = 1000mw = 200x more powerful than the top end of legal handheld lasers and even the reflection of the beam/dot of this is enough to blind. THERE IS NO POINT TO OWNING ONE OF THESE, let alone for the cost of a mid range video card or game console...

I tried to make this point on a previous post - if you were at a gas station and someone yelled "Hey" - you'd look, get blinded, start screaming, everyone would wonder what you were screaming about, but since you only got about a 1/16 of a second look at the person before they hit your eyes, you wouldn't be able to ID them.

Guns and knifes leave a trail. This doesn't - unless someone sees you doing something odd - but what are the chances of that? For the most part, people like living in their little bubble worlds.

Trail? I'm sure this 1W laser will make an brilliant, attention grabbing blue beam. If there are any witnesses, they will surely be able to identify the location of the attacker.

Unless the perp has a sight and a rifle stock, he's going to have to leave this blue bastard on for more than a second to acquire a steady beam on his target's pupil. If there is more than 20m between them, he'll likely glance the victim's eye causing the vic to clench his eyes shut.

This device has the potential to create terror, but so do Tasers, pepper spray, and other less than lethal weapons. If you wanted to permanently maim someone, especially in the eyes, you could do so with these instruments. Yet, you don't see that often. It is because the vast, vast majority of people in countries with as high a standard of living as the US do not have the motivation or frustration to commit such evil acts.

Punishing our society (hundreds of millions) because of the potential (future) actions of a few (probably no more than a dozen) is unacceptable to me.

Trail? I'm sure this 1W laser will make an brilliant, attention grabbing blue beam. If there are any witnesses, they will surely be able to identify the location of the attacker.

Unless the perp has a sight and a rifle stock, he's going to have to leave this blue bastard on for more than a second to acquire a steady beam on his target's pupil. If there is more than 20m between them, he'll likely glance the victim's eye causing the vic to clench his eyes shut.

This device has the potential to create terror, but so do Tasers, pepper spray, and other less than lethal weapons. If you wanted to permanently maim someone, especially in the eyes, you could do so with these instruments. Yet, you don't see that often. It is because the vast, vast majority of people in countries with as high a standard of living as the US do not have the motivation or frustration to commit such evil acts.

Punishing our society (hundreds of millions) because of the potential (future) actions of a few (probably no more than a dozen) is unacceptable to me.

Out of curiosity, what task can you accomplish with this laser that you can't do with already available alternatives? It doesn't seem to me like this laser is filling any important niche for the general public. So making something that has potential to be legitimately dangerous readily available when it provides little functional value seems foolish.

Ok - I see what you're getting at, but what would you rather have in the hands of a juvenile delinquent who has a brain.

1 - high powered laser
2 - taser
3 - gun
4 - pepper spray

The last thing I would want in their hands is a laser. It is too easy to play with and get away with it compared to any of the other alternatives you listed. In other words, a smart kid who is also a punk will know what will get him in trouble and what won't.

Who is seriously going to say... "Someone yelled at me and then all of a sudden I was blind!!!"

And also, a smart punk would already have the beam on the person's head, shout "HEY" the person would scream and everyone's attention would be drawn 100 feet away from the attacker. Starting to see the problem?

Last edited:
Even as a libertarian, I'm gonna say FUCK THIS SHIT. The range, hazard potential, and anonymity involved is ridiculous.

I guess we shouldn't talk about the lasers that use invisible to the human eye light. :O

comparing this to a taser, or OC spray just shows hwo little you know abotu either of those tools.

neither has long term damage. like blindness ffs

ive been tased, and OC sprayed more then I care to say but a few seconds with a laser to my eye and I wouldnt be able to do my job ever again if it blinds people as it says.

OC sucks hard very hard in fact i would take 10 shots form the taser before i took direct eye hit with OC spray again but its nothign compared to what this laser could do permanently.

Your argument seems to be that the government has no right to ban or regulate dangerous items. So by extension, I assume if one could purchase a $200 hydrogen bomb, you would be comfortable with the idea that its sale was completely unrestricted?

A hydrogen bomb is in a whole different ballpark than a 1KW laser. A hydrogen bomb is capable of a lot of destruction compared to a handheld laser.

Since when has the government shown any competence in regulating or banning dangerous items? I can do more damage with a Colt 1911 which is quite legal to purchase though you have to jump through a few hoops to get one, unless you buy one from a friend secretly than a paltry 1KW laser.

I might be able to go to Russia and get parts for a $200 hydrogen bomb! How many people are deranged enough to actually detonate one, if they can get it to detonate in the first place?

I am all for reasonable banning of things like bombs and such weapons that only the military should have possession of because of the destructive power inherent to them, however, banning a handheld laser seems to me like us needing the government to hold our hand and reassure us so we don't hurt ourselves or other people. I lean more towards the libertarian side in that I think adults are becoming more irresponsible and parents are falling down on their job of raising responsible children, thus the need, in your opinion, of having the government parent us. I'd rather learn to be responsible because that affects a whole lot more areas of life than letting people be stupid and irresponsible and needing a harness put on us so we don't stupidly hurt ourselves and others.

You crack me up man. You go on and on about how useful it could be but can't provide ... where it could be useful! :)

I was stating that it can be useful, people use lasers for cutting plexi glass and metal, not that this thing is likely powerful enough to cut metal, but who knows, I haven't used one yet to see what other uses it may serve. It would seem that you could start a fire with it, but that is kind of a dangerous way to start a fire with the other hazards of using it. The radiation hazard more or less renders this laser useless as a tool for long term use though. I was making the point that it can be used as a tool (like a knife) and not solely as a weapon, but I guessed you missed that... Some people just can't think of stuff like this as anything but a weapon. Get it now? It isn't designed to be a weapon, or a tool really, so it's a ridiculously powerful laser pointer with that isn't safe for that purpose. I can imagine a lot of ways that this thing can be abused, along with a lot of other things as I have already mentioned. People will do stupid things, it happens, it sucks to be on the receiving end, but that's reality.

Edit: I once saw an episode of 1,000 Ways to Die where two goofballs were driving around and shooting people, including an elderly woman I think, with a paintball marker. Everything was going fine until the tank somehow detached itself form the marker and hit the cheek of the kid in the passenger seat and killed him. Even things happen to idiots misusing things. Whenever I handle firearms, I always pretend that it's loaded and point the business end in a safer direction than at other people. I have been out shooting with friends and they scare me with their sloppy and dangerous handling of firearms. They just want to prove that they are in control and nothing will happen to anyone, until the firearm discharges and someone gets hurt.

Last edited:
Ok - I see what you're getting at, but what would you rather have in the hands of a juvenile delinquent who has a brain.

1 - high powered laser
2 - taser
3 - gun
4 - pepper spray

The last thing I would want in their hands is a laser. It is too easy to play with and get away with it compared to any of the other alternatives you listed. In other words, a smart kid who is also a punk will know what will get him in trouble and what won't.

Who is seriously going to say... "Someone yelled at me and then all of a sudden I was blind!!!"

And also, a smart punk would already have the beam on the person's head, shout "HEY" the person would scream and everyone's attention would be drawn 100 feet away from the attacker. Starting to see the problem?

Uh, I'm pretty sure he'd feel the beam burning his skin while the smart punk is aiming it, or did you miss that part about a 1 KW laser? I've felt a lower powered green laser beam sting my skin, feels a bit like a needle poke, but this would probably still burn at 100 feet away.

These do have little use for 99% of people for sure - for true laser enthusiasts I can see them using these in a safe manner. However the problem stems from the general public seeing these and thinking they are as safe as run of the mill pointers. I suppose when guns were first invented quite a few idiots hurt themselves and others just the same as will likely happen with high power lasers. It is inevitable though - technology will continue to move forward and the result of many technologies can be dangerous.

Oh and yes - enthusiasts have been making 808nm and up IR lasers over 1w for quite a long time. Now those are really dangerous - just as powerful but with zero visible light. They are making them into handhelds smaller than these from Wicked - fortunately "most" enthusiasts capable of building one at least include an LED so you can tell if the damn things are turned on or not although I have seen a few IR builds with no way of knowing if its on or not.

For what it's worth - Nova is also now advertising a 1w blue based on this very same diode for even less. http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=109
They are taking pre-orders and showing a 6 to 8 week lead time on production.

These do have little use for 99% of people for sure - for true laser enthusiasts I can see them using these in a safe manner. However the problem stems from the general public seeing these and thinking they are as safe as run of the mill pointers. I suppose when guns were first invented quite a few idiots hurt themselves and others just the same as will likely happen with high power lasers. It is inevitable though - technology will continue to move forward and the result of many technologies can be dangerous.

Oh and yes - enthusiasts have been making 808nm and up IR lasers over 1w for quite a long time. Now those are really dangerous - just as powerful but with zero visible light. They are making them into handhelds smaller than these from Wicked - fortunately "most" enthusiasts capable of building one at least include an LED so you can tell if the damn things are turned on or not although I have seen a few IR builds with no way of knowing if its on or not.

For what it's worth - Nova is also now advertising a 1w blue based on this very same diode for even less. http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=109
They are taking pre-orders and showing a 6 to 8 week lead time on production.

I can't help injecting a bit of humor: A laser enthusiast would probably have to dress like Darth Vader to use this one, but then the Sith weren't much for blue lasers... :D

I've been looking for a blue laser for a display rig. One watt is a bit much, though. I'd need to upgrade the green and red.

A hydrogen bomb is in a whole different ballpark than a 1KW laser. A hydrogen bomb is capable of a lot of destruction compared to a handheld laser.

Since when has the government shown any competence in regulating or banning dangerous items? I can do more damage with a Colt 1911 which is quite legal to purchase though you have to jump through a few hoops to get one, unless you buy one from a friend secretly than a paltry 1KW laser.

I might be able to go to Russia and get parts for a $200 hydrogen bomb! How many people are deranged enough to actually detonate one, if they can get it to detonate in the first place?

I am all for reasonable banning of things like bombs and such weapons that only the military should have possession of because of the destructive power inherent to them, however, banning a handheld laser seems to me like us needing the government to hold our hand and reassure us so we don't hurt ourselves or other people. I lean more towards the libertarian side in that I think adults are becoming more irresponsible and parents are falling down on their job of raising responsible children, thus the need, in your opinion, of having the government parent us. I'd rather learn to be responsible because that affects a whole lot more areas of life than letting people be stupid and irresponsible and needing a harness put on us so we don't stupidly hurt ourselves and others.

I lean libertarian as well, but regulation of purposeless weapons falls within a realm of government intervention I am comfortable with. You apparently don't object to the concept, merely that this case warrants it. So you at least agree with the arguments here in spirit; you simply feel they don't apply.

I would argue they clearly do because no one has listed a single commercial application for this technology that could not already be accomplished with existing technology. And without practical purpose, this should be considered a weapon.

I would argue they clearly do because no one has listed a single commercial application for this technology that could not already be accomplished with existing technology. And without practical purpose, this should be considered a weapon.

...uh, you realize that these lasers are ripped right out of a commercial product.

I was stating that it can be useful, people use lasers for cutting plexi glass and metal, not that this thing is likely powerful enough to cut metal, but who knows, I haven't used one yet to see what other uses it may serve. It would seem that you could start a fire with it, but that is kind of a dangerous way to start a fire with the other hazards of using it. The radiation hazard more or less renders this laser useless as a tool for long term use though. I was making the point that it can be used as a tool (like a knife) and not solely as a weapon, but I guessed you missed that... Some people just can't think of stuff like this as anything but a weapon. Get it now? It isn't designed to be a weapon, or a tool really, so it's a ridiculously powerful laser pointer with that isn't safe for that purpose. I can imagine a lot of ways that this thing can be abused, along with a lot of other things as I have already mentioned. People will do stupid things, it happens, it sucks to be on the receiving end, but that's reality.

Edit: I once saw an episode of 1,000 Ways to Die where two goofballs were driving around and shooting people, including an elderly woman I think, with a paintball marker. Everything was going fine until the tank somehow detached itself form the marker and hit the cheek of the kid in the passenger seat and killed him. Even things happen to idiots misusing things. Whenever I handle firearms, I always pretend that it's loaded and point the business end in a safer direction than at other people. I have been out shooting with friends and they scare me with their sloppy and dangerous handling of firearms. They just want to prove that they are in control and nothing will happen to anyone, until the firearm discharges and someone gets hurt.

So you can probably start a fire - you named one purpose, but guess watt? I can do it much more efficiently with a 50 cent lighter.

I'm in agreement with handguns, but please don't change the topic to something different. Just to put my two cents in since you did, I believe you should be able to take that gun apart and back together before you ever shoot it.

Moving on...

Uh, I'm pretty sure he'd feel the beam burning his skin while the smart punk is aiming it, or did you miss that part about a 1 KW laser? I've felt a lower powered green laser beam sting my skin, feels a bit like a needle poke, but this would probably still burn at 100 feet away.

Then if you were a punk and knew that, you'd point at a stationary object near their head and make the adjustment at the right time... I'm sure we can both agree that us gamers have pretty dang good eye hand coordination.

apparently half of you new posters haven't read back, and your nothing but haters. thats nice.
but lets put this into perspective, if i really wanted to FUCK people up.
I'd use a 808nm IR laser, or a 1064nm IR laser.
I could use them at 1w and higher, blind the shit out of you and a 100 other people before anyone even knew what was going on as those sections of IR light are undetectable by the human eye...
If we want to turn this into a weapon there are far better ways then pretty blue lasers...
10000mw = 10w = .01kw this is NOT a 1KW laser...check your math.

apparently half of you new posters haven't read back, and your nothing but haters. thats nice.
but lets put this into perspective, if i really wanted to FUCK people up.
I'd use a 808nm IR laser, or a 1064nm IR laser.
I could use them at 1w and higher, blind the shit out of you and a 100 other people before anyone even knew what was going on as those sections of IR light are undetectable by the human eye...
If we want to turn this into a weapon there are far better ways then pretty blue lasers...
10000mw = 10w = .01kw this is NOT a 1KW laser...check your math.

nerdrage1.jpg

To everybody who is being a little whinny bitch about this thing, it might blind you with a single mistake sure. A single mistake with a gun will kill you. And if you're really tallented, and use a large gun, you can probably take out a couple of people with the same shot.

Hell, you can buy a .22LR for ~100$ that can kill you or your neighbor or most anything else if you "point it in the correct direction and turn it on". Except you don't have to be as accurate. With a gun you only have to point it at their head or a vital organ (or just flesh wounds if the gun is large enough). And for someone pulling this out in a crowd? It's no different than a gun.

As far as non-destructive uses, there is no reason this couldn't be mounted on a CNC machine and used for laser cutting foils or other materials, you could also do wood burnings (as in the decorative kind) just off the top of my head.

As for any libertarian who thinks this should be banned, you're not a liberterian. Stop disgracing that movement by claiming to be one when you aren't.

I still don't get the relation of a gun to this device. This laser is far more dangerous than a gun in terms of harm by mistake. A gun requires some preparation, load the bullet, load the bullet in the chamber, "cock" the gun, unlock the safety, then pull the trigger.

This laser, with the push of a button can burn, blind, cause many unforseen issues, even skin cancer? This type of device should only be in the hands of laser hobiests who know how to use a laser in a safe and responsible laser. This is light for gods sake. The simple attempt to look at the reflection can cause you to live a life in blackness.

This isn't like a gun at all, this is a cool, but very dangerous laser.

I have built laser light show equipment "IDLA". I gave up working with lasers because of the accidental dangers involved that could affect my young kids.

If I lived alone, I would probably get this, but the use is limited. I would have to diffuse the power and with scanners make the reflected beam viewable to the naked eye, through the use of animation (high speed scanners). 1 watt is a LOT of close up power. At a distance of over 100 yards, the beam reflection on a matt surface should be ok. But in a room, don't even try.

This is not suitable for anyone, really.

A laser of this power should be mounted in a display device with all of the proper safety precautions.

I'm sorry for all of the spelling errors.

I still don't get the relation of a gun to this device. This laser is far more dangerous than a gun in terms of harm by mistake. A gun requires some preparation, load the bullet, load the bullet in the chamber, "cock" the gun, unlock the safety, then pull the trigger.
Pick up loaded, cocked gun with saftey off and pull trigger. It's a single step.

This laser, with the push of a button can burn, blind, cause many unforseen issues, even skin cancer? This type of device should only be in the hands of laser hobiests who know how to use a laser in a safe and responsible laser. This is light for gods sake. The simple attempt to look at the reflection can cause you to live a life in blackness.
Look down the barrel of a gun and pull the trigger and you won't be living.

This isn't like a gun at all, this is a cool, but very dangerous laser.
You're right, it's nothing like a gun. This might give you cancer, or a burn on your skin, or maybe even blind you. A gun is going to kill you. Guns are much, much, worse.

I have built laser light show equipment "IDLA". I gave up working with lasers because of the accidental dangers involved that could affect my young kids.
Again, accidental dangers with kids and guns is worse.

If I lived alone, I would probably get this, but the use is limited. I would have to diffuse the power and with scanners make the reflected beam viewable to the naked eye, through the use of animation (high speed scanners). 1 watt is a LOT of close up power. At a distance of over 100 yards, the beam reflection on a matt surface should be ok. But in a room, don't even try.

This is not suitable for anyone, really.

A laser of this power should be mounted in a display device with all of the proper safety precautions.

I'm sorry for all of the spelling errors.
It's suitable for lots of things. It is however, not a laser pointer. That's not it's intended use any more than a gun is a suitable can openner.

Did you see the part about it being 1W laser? 1KW laser cuts metal, buddy. :rolleyes:

Like what? Specifically. Name one function that it actually makes sense to use this thing for.

Exactly, there is not 1 use for this type of laser. Not one. Not for laser light shows, not for pointing, nothing.

The people who buy this will most likely be ones to play around with it and end up hurting themself or someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back