wich 970?

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
I have 55$ in credit at newegg.ca so im looking to buy a card there , not anywhere else since the credit i have is good only for 90 days and im a premier member.

I play at 1080P exclusively

Im eyeing two cards , but im open to other suggestion.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127850&cm_re=970-_-14-127-850-_-Product
MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100ME at 459.99 - 10$ in rebates.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684&cm_re=970-_-14-125-684-_-Product
GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD at 439.99 (with no rebates)

It will go in my new build
msi z97 krait edition
16 gb of ram-1866

Gigabyte G1 its still better and those i think are the best you can find in any Nvidia 900 series..

i missed a sale at 409.99 last week on the G1. Went to sleep way too early!

I considered MSI cause i love my GTX 680 lightning

Well keep in mind the Lightnings have always been a different breed card. Normally MSI builds the Lighting series off of a fully custom design. (Granted I love the Lighting's too, the 290x lightnings I had were amazing)

I would go with the Gigabyte (granted space is not an issue for you), The G1 series has been well reviewed on the 900 line as far as temp and coil whine, all things considered.

Last edited:
like i said im not dead set.

Budget wise the 970 are in my bracket ( lower the better) but im open to other suggestion.

Youre talking about coil whine ... is there any on these cards? my Gigabyte 6970 was bad to be honest.

970 is a great card (so is the 290x AMD) - both in the same performance bracket. (290 pulling away at higher res and can be had for much cheaper)

And yes, the 970 series has been plagued by coil whine that seems to be a hit and miss case. I had three 970's from PNY that were absolutely horrible. I own two EVGA SSC's now, and they are completely silent. (Dare I say it) I think the issue is more related to reference designed cards, so in that aspect I would look at custom PCB 970's.

Last edited:
I'd go MSI as a previous owner of both, as I appreciate the two slower-spinning 100mm fan versus the three 80mm fans for noise output. They sound quieter and less obtrusive to me.

If you were going to do SLI in the future MSI might be better for that since the fin orientation is setup to exhaust some of the hot air outside the case. Can't really give you any concrete info on that though.

I got the SSC with ACX2.0+ (Free backplate right now), seems to be pretty decent, I've clocked it up to about 1490 boost and 7.6ghz memory, (haven't tried any further) without increasing voltage, runs quiet and cool

at the price i paid , with the 2 games that come with it , it was almost a no brainer.

Not i have to sell off my old rig.

and of course can always sell off the game codes and make the card itself a real steal.

The MSI cards will overclock to match the EVGA easily, so no point in listing that out. Yes on a sale that one would beat the MSI cards, but he was listing CAD prices too.

Back