Wi-Fi to Ethernet

Westwood

[H]F Junkie
Hi. I'm stupid.

Bought the wife a Blu-Ray DVD player. Apparently it connects to Prime and Netflix and like six others. Had no idea. But, it needs to be physically wired in. I moved the PowerLine adapter to the living room from the garage and ran a cable to it, but moving the adapter I lost my Wi-Fi to out back.

There something that grabs the Wi-Fi and turns it into cable so I can plug in the DVD player?

https://www.amazon.com/Vonets-VAP11...-fi+to+ethernet+adapter&qid=1609184579&sr=8-3
613uaXXQ6FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This doohickey the thing I need?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The player doesn't have wifi? I find that hard to believe in a model sold in 2020. What is it?

So its got basic "smart" functionality and truly doesn't have wifi.. bizzare. I haven't owned an optical disc media player in.. well over 15 years so I'm not familiar with what's being sold today.

There are quite a few ways you can get Smart features to access streaming services on your TV and doing it through your blu-ray player seems like an odd method. Most TV's sold in the last few years have those features built in, for instance.

Honestly if it was me, i'd get something like a Chromecast or Firestick instead of cobbling together an adapter solution to get that BD player connected to the internet.

Last edited:
If powerline works, I'd say just get one more powerline adapter. :) These are much better than any quality wifi bridge and will be cheaper. (y)

Westwood - Yes, there are devices like this. Just search for Wi Fi Ethernet bridge or Wi Fi adapter.

If you have an old Linksys router laying around, you could also look at something like Tomato firmware. I used one for a few years and it works great. Tomato is an custom router firmware that has a feature where you can turn an old router into a Wi-Fi adapter. It would actually work out well in replacement of a powerline adapter because you also get the benefit of using the switch ports. Just configure it to connect to your Wi Fi and toss it under your TV stand and wire into the ports. Obviously going to be limited to 802.11g speeds due to older devices, but that's still enough to stream too.

Last edited:
So its got basic "smart" functionality and truly doesn't have wifi.. bizzare. I haven't owned an optical disc media player in.. well over 15 years so I'm not familiar with what's being sold today.

There are quite a few ways you can get Smart features to access streaming services on your TV and doing it through your blu-ray player seems like an odd method. Most TV's sold in the last few years have those features built in, for instance.

Honestly if it was me, i'd get something like a Chromecast or Firestick instead of cobbling together an adapter solution to get that BD player connected to the internet.
ya, we don't really do the TV thing. ours is about ten years old and is like a 27". I'm not getting that Firestick stuff. just the cable is fine.

This...this right here, poweline adapters allow you to add on more, ive had 4 in my house before, what model of powerline adapter you have?
If powerline works, I'd say just get one more powerline adapter. :) These are much better than any quality wifi bridge and will be cheaper. (y)

I used a cheap Netgear WiFi range extender as a bridge (plugged into a switch) to connect several devices in my garage to the network in my house. The devices didn't know the difference.

That is definitely overkill--especially since your player doesn't even have wifi! Here's what you need to get and if you find it used it's going to be even cheaper:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...ine-starter-kit-white/5687904.p?skuId=5687904

These are even faster than your current ones and you'll actually have a spare that you can use to wire in something else too. (y)

Just ordered the dongle bit in my OP. See what that does./shrug
With marketing like "Beauty impact, and hard cover"
612TLLXn-oL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
And the "use it with outlets that don't even exist in your market with a old as F router"
61gGc6prwtL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
And the "Good Partener" for your "Mine robot"
61lqlrwUyRL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It may work for a bit if it works at all, and then will just royally F up once you start to depend on it like all the other ccc (cheap chinese crap) out there. It pisses me off that they're allowed to dump this waste on our soil that just ends up in our landfills and them with our money.

That is definitely overkill--especially since your player doesn't even have wifi! Here's what you need to get and if you find it used it's going to be even cheaper:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...ine-starter-kit-white/5687904.p?skuId=5687904

These are even faster than your current ones and you'll actually have a spare that you can use to wire in something else too. (y)
Yea, I got that thing so I could get wi-fi throughout the house and into the shop and backyard. Works great. I get one bar all the way to the treestand. XD

With marketing like "Beauty impact, and hard cover"
View attachment 313951
And the "use it with outlets that don't even exist in your market with a old as F router"
View attachment 313952
And the "Good Partener" for your "Mine robot"
View attachment 313953

It may work for a bit if it works at all, and then will just royally F up once you start to depend on it like all the other ccc (cheap chinese crap) out there. It pisses me off that they're allowed to dump this waste on our soil that just ends up in our landfills and them with our money.
Eh, we'll see what happens. I just wanted to run a cable to it. I didn't even know this stupid DVD player had this option. We'll rarely watch it. We don't do the TV thing that often.

Eh, we'll see what happens. I just wanted to run a cable to it. I didn't even know this stupid DVD player had this option. We'll rarely watch it. We don't do the TV thing that often.
You still can by just getting a powerline adapter for it. It's like $45 ($90/pair) and it guarantees a lot that wifi doesn't. (y)

After dealing with wifi versus wired for a long time, I wire almost everything I can--especially with powerlines since it's literally just plugging them into wall outlets and doing a speedtest. My wife moved her wfh station the kitchen island and since there's an outlet there, I got her powerlined. :) Her communications are crisp and no lag. (y)

use older router as an access point. You have a box full of routers right?

When that doesn't work here are the instructions https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1081/ for adding an extra powerline adapter, you don't need to buy another kit, you can just add on a single adapter to your existing setup, yours is compatible with homeplug Av and Av2,
Noted. That will be my backup plan. I thought I'd have to buy the $120 set again because the ones that can be connected on any circuit throughout the house were more expensive. Once installed, they can be linked wireless to wireless though? That make sense?
use older router as an access point. You have a box full of routers right?
Just one. And I kept it in the cupboard where the PC tower "should" have gone. I was having issues with it and took it out of the cupboard. It was so hot, I couldn't even touch it. So I think its quite literally, cooked.

I used an old netgear router (a 3500L) with DD-WRT as a bridge for awhile and had many intermittent dropouts. It would work for a while, then drop out briefly. It drove the gamers apeshit and made watching video glitchy and unreliable. Some creative cabling fixed it 100% -- for $10 and an hour of my time.

My own experience with wifi, cheap/weird devices, hacks like wifi bridges and powerline networking, is that it will cause you more time and frustration (and $$) in the long run than finding a way to run a cable. It's just too much work figuring out which annoyances are due to network issues and then which devices are causing it.

Last edited:
I used an old netgear router (a 3500L) with DD-WRT as a bridge for awhile and had many intermittent dropouts. It would work for a while, then drop out briefly. It drove the gamers apeshit and made watching video glitchy and unreliable. Some creative cabling fixed it 100% -- for $10 and an hour of my time.

My own experience with wifi, cheap/weird devices, hacks like wifi bridges and powerline networking, is that it will cause you more time and frustration (and $$) in the long run than finding a way to run a cable. It's just too much work figuring out which annoyances are due to network issues and then which devices are causing it.
Yea, if this were something I was using daily on a continuous basis, I'd agree; run cable. This thing will maybe get used once a week on Friday night for a movie. That's it. The Powerline jobber is fine, but I had to yank it from the shop. This dongle-thing doesn't work out, I'll just get another powerline adapter and run that.

Noted. That will be my backup plan. I thought I'd have to buy the $120 set again because the ones that can be connected on any circuit throughout the house were more expensive. Once installed, they can be linked wireless to wireless though? That make sense?
Think of it as a broadcast through your powerlines, you have the one connected to your router, that then broadcasts(transmits) everywhere through the house looking for a receiver, you currently have one receiver that provides wifi, all you need is to buy another receiver and plug it into a power outlet and it will grab the signal as well, it doesn't even need to have wifi, just an ethernet port.

Last edited:

My experience has been that way for wifi. Wiring anything by any means possible--powerline, moca, even vdsl extenders--has been much, much better than almost anything wifi in the same use case.

I'll just get another powerline adapter and run that.
This would have been my goto solution once your test with the shop powerline worked well. Sometimes you don't get enough bandwidth from a certain outlet for whatever reason, so it's always a good idea to test--but once the test passes, I plug one in and never worry about it again. :)

Just one. And I kept it in the cupboard where the PC tower "should" have gone. I was having issues with it and took it out of the cupboard. It was so hot, I couldn't even touch it. So I think its quite literally, cooked.
You'd be surprised how much those little older routers could take. I had some old Linksys 54g APs inside of utility chases that hit as high as 130F in the summers running for better part of a decade. Then I pulled them when we sold the property and now have been using them elsewhere for another 10 years. :eek: They don't make stuff like they used to!

Back