why you shouldn't smoke around your computer

haadij404

2[H]4U
this is only one months worth of smoke too :eek: I guess I need to stop smokin in the computer room :p

comp011cq4.jpg

comp012yw5.jpg

comp016dz3.jpg

It should be better, I added some dust filters on the side window grille.

Any horror stories involving a dusty ass computer?

Damn thats nasty.

I've seen a couple that have had over heating issues due to too much heat.

Wow 1 month
Cant believe that due to smoking though, do you clean the room at least once a week?

Wow 1 month
Cant believe that due to smoking though, do you clean the room at least once a week?

Not really, probably once or twice a month. I have wooden floors so lots of dustballs form and I think a contributing factor is that I have a mesh side panel and an 80mm fan sitting on the graphics card blowing air on to the NB and CPU. The dust adds up fast this way :(.

also raising your computer off the ground, if only a foot, can really help out.

I have seen some shockers from cigarette smoke over the years. Bad smells, staining, and the dust buildup inside the case. Sadly, I don't have any pics :(

Trust me, that has less to do with smoking and more to do with a dusty room and a setup which invites dust in and keeps it there.

I've been smoking around all my computers for years and even after about 6 months they don't look anything like that. A couple of the computers also sit on the carpet which doesn't help things out.

Also, if it was due to smoke, there would be much more "discoloration" with the dust. It would look less gray and more yellowish. Yes, I have had much experience with smoke, dust and dirty computers. Some of them were mine, most of them weren't.

I once got an earful from somebody who bought a motherboard off eBay because of the cigarette smell. I tried clean it off as much as I can before shipping, so I just though whatever at the time. But now that I quit smoking for about 6months (and about 30lbs ago), the stale cigarette smell hits me pretty hard when dig up some old stuff I had in storage. Man, I used to actually genuinely enjoy smoking and still miss it terribly, but that ash tray effect is something I'm glad I no longer have.

i can tell you from experience as a smoker, you must clean your PC once every 3-6 months to keep it running cool and keep the buildup on components at a safe level, I have seen other peoples PC's die from the nasty brown buildup that gets on the mainboard and other components

We have a couple users that work out at sand pits and limestone mines and they smoke in the office. The combo of dust and smoke does wonders on pcs and printers. LOL

Not really, probably once or twice a month. I have wooden floors so lots of dustballs form and I think a contributing factor is that I have a mesh side panel and an 80mm fan sitting on the graphics card blowing air on to the NB and CPU. The dust adds up fast this way :(.

Yup! Add a cat into that mix and that is where I am.

I generally clean out my case once a month to be safe. Canned air FTW.

If one month of smoking did that to a computer, imagine what it has done to your lungs.

Just my two cents.

And, elevating your computer does help decrease dust intake.

Indeed, stop smoking FTW! Instead of wasting money on that, get yourself a quad-core or something ;)

I used to work on computers for a living. you have no idea the kind of stuff I have seen inside a case. smokers were the worst. its all sticky and stinks like ass.I have seen fans completely locked up from the GOOEY DUST
SO GROSS!!!!
yours isnt even bad at all compaired to many i have seen

Back