Why would windows not see a HD and cdrom?

Rusky

Limp Gawd
I know they are connected correctly and before I formatted I used them no problem.
But after a format using a custom XP cd, my backup HD and cdrom isn't visable.

Are the recognized by the BIOS? Are the IDE or SATA? Do you have your chipset drivers loaded? What exactly do you mean by custom? I hope that doesn't mean a disc that you made with nLite, and removed some necessary components.

If its shown in the bios and windows doesnt show it, it could be disabled in the device manager or its not formatted to be recognized and would need to be formatted properly using Western Digital's free utilities.

If the hard drive isn't formatted, you can use the Disk Management snap-in in the Management Console to format it and assign it a drive letter. I'm taking a guess and saying that's not the issue, because that wouldn't affect the optical drive, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to check the Disk Management section to see if either or both drives are at least listed there.

Yes the CD was made using nLite
Both cd-rom and hard drive that don't appear in Windows are IDE.
Neither of them are in the device manager.

Using my official xp cd, everything is fine, but this version I'm trying seems to not see the cd-rom and hard drive once booted into Windows.

The Bios sees all my drives and obviously it sees the cd-rom since I use it to install Windwos, but once it gets booted into Windows, it's as if the cd-rom and hard drive are not plugged in.

Using my official xp cd, everything is fine, but this version I'm trying seems to not see the cd-rom and hard drive once booted into Windows.
That's your answer. Ditch the nLite crap and use the official XP disc. When you start making changes with nLite, you open a huge door for issues such as this. The last part of your statement shows that the hardware is fine, but it is a Windows software problem....traced back to nLite.

That's your answer. Ditch the nLite crap and use the official XP disc. When you start making changes with nLite, you open a huge door for issues such as this. The last part of your statement shows that the hardware is fine, but it is a Windows software problem....traced back to nLite.

:)

I find it's better just to go in and uninstall what Windows components you can and then tweak the Services to disable the things you don't want running. Hard drive space isn't (or shouldn't be) at a premium these days, so thinning out an XP install using nLite can be more of a headache than doing it the old "tweaking" way.

Back