Why would ANYONE get a 260/280 over 4750/80/4780x2's?

Now with the price drops that slide is baseless.
What?
Are you saying the market has been stabilized by now????
Don't be kidding yourself!!!!
We'll see a lot of price adjustments within the next couple of weeks when the 4870s start filling the retail channels.
There is no reason to argue about which company has more breathing room for going lower without giving its stuff away.
ATI is killing nVidia in that respect.

Because I've had 4 ATI cards on my current AMD build and they've all taken a crap? Including this one (only works in 2D).

Because the stock idle temps are outrageous on the ATI cards due to driver issues / fan speeds?

I love how ppl dissing the temperature of the HD4850, it's the same as when the 8800GT went out :p
I think there will always be more fans of NV because they some people like to pay premium and stay with the maker who wins top-end cards and not the best-bang-for-your-buck.

W/out ATI new HD 4800 series you would still be paying your GTX 260 $400, just remember that. I also hate people saying that one company sucks because they tried and didn't like ONE of the product once.

I'm shallow, I won't by anything ATI/AMD because of cosmetic reasons. I don't like the way they look and won't put anything in my comp that is red on purpose. Plus the fans they use don't appeal to my vewing pleasures either. One word comes to mind UGLY!

I'm shallow, I won't by anything ATI/AMD because of cosmetic reasons. I don't like the way they look and won't put anything in my comp that is red on purpose. Plus the fans they use don't appeal to my vewing pleasures either. One word comes to mind UGLY!

Didn't you see the new Saphire HD 4850? It's blue :D
Who watches there video cards inside the case?
NV builds big dull brick cards. There is no cool design at all.

I'll give you two simple answers:

1. Catalyst control center

You can run ATI cards without CCC. You just download and install the core drivers and then use a 3rd party tweaker to control the settings. ATI makes available core drivers or full drivers with CCC. Your choice.

im planning on upgrading to 2 4870x2 2gb DDR5's when they come out, and I fully expect them to out perform 3-way gtx 280 sli. nvidia better have something coming (I don't think a shrink of the 280 will be enough) to compete.

And even if they're equal in performance, they'd have to cut the price of the 280 to $333 to match the 4870x2 DDR5.

And seeing as how intel and nvidia aren't playing nicely together as of now, you may be stuck with a core2 for a while, where as nehalem will be crossfire compatible at launch.

Boy you sure know a thing or two about being ugly.

Didn't you see the new Saphire HD 4850? It's blue :D
Who watches there video cards inside the case?
NV builds big dull brick cards. There is no cool design at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102747 It's frickin red with an ugly fan!

I do, I make all my own cases from .25" aspen. What is normaly the side, is what I have as the front, and is always open.

My Palit isn't a brick with the super-de-duperty cool blue hs/fan that matches the monstrously huge Blue Orb 2 next to it. 3 cheers for massive blue fins!!!!!

You can run ATI cards without CCC. You just download and install the core drivers and then use a 3rd party tweaker to control the settings. ATI makes available core drivers or full drivers with CCC. Your choice.

Of course I can, but I shouldn't have to. Sure I can install just the core driver package and enjoy basic 3D functionality without any ability to control the hardware...

Next you'll tell me that I can install a third party application like RivaTuner or ATI Tray Tools that will give me better control over the hardware, something that 'Catalyst Control Center' should have done in the first place. I quite simply shouldn't be expected to do that.

CCC is the same as it was 3 or 4 years ago when it was introduced - a bloated slow piece of cyber-crap. Slow to open, cumbersome to navigate, and altogether a notoriously bad example of efficient programming. .NET indeed... :rolleyes:

And just to be clear I do feel that ATI/AMD is on the right track with their hardware - It's nice to finally see them giving Nvidia a run for their money, and thereby lowering prices for all of us. I just wish they would can the half-wit morons on their software development team.

Call me shallow, flame me, say whatever you want - I stopped buying ATI largely because the CCC pissed me off so much in the beginning. :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102747 It's frickin red with an ugly fan!

I do, I make all my own cases from .25" aspen. What is normaly the side, is what I have as the front, and is always open.

My Palit isn't a brick with the super-de-duperty cool blue hs/fan that matches the monstrously huge Blue Orb 2 next to it. 3 cheers for massive blue fins!!!!!

http://i30.tinypic.com/2zhm6ar.jpg

it's actually kind of nice looking imo. The new nVidia cards are basically just blocks.

There is no reason to argue about which company has more breathing room for going lower without giving its stuff away.

It would either be:

a. Company with $3.7 billion in long-term debt and 2 straight years of posting 600 Million+ quarterly losses

b. Company with 1.5 billion in cash and years of profitability

I'd say Nvidia, though you might disagree :p

Next you'll tell me that I can install a third party application like RivaTuner or ATI Tray Tools that will give me better control over the hardware,

Oh well, can't please 'em all. I liked ATI Tray Tools better than both the CCC and NV control panel.

because I like the color green over red.

It all depends on the games you play. Take a look at the benches and if the nvidia card does better in the games you play the most then get the nvidia. If ATI does better then get ATI. But pricewise the 260 is now cheaper.

ati card ugly?? one thing i like to call ati cards, mac, is because they are very pretty in my opinion. i like the color red.

Of course I can, but I shouldn't have to. Sure I can install just the core driver package and enjoy basic 3D functionality without any ability to control the hardware...

Next you'll tell me that I can install a third party application like RivaTuner or ATI Tray Tools that will give me better control over the hardware, something that 'Catalyst Control Center' should have done in the first place. I quite simply shouldn't be expected to do that.

CCC is the same as it was 3 or 4 years ago when it was introduced - a bloated slow piece of cyber-crap. Slow to open, cumbersome to navigate, and altogether a notoriously bad example of efficient programming. .NET indeed... :rolleyes:

And just to be clear I do feel that ATI/AMD is on the right track with their hardware - It's nice to finally see them giving Nvidia a run for their money, and thereby lowering prices for all of us. I just wish they would can the half-wit morons on their software development team.

Call me shallow, flame me, say whatever you want - I stopped buying ATI largely because the CCC pissed me off so much in the beginning. :p

I'm not fan of CCC and never have been from the beginning. I actually refused to use the regular ATI drivers for a long time and went with 3rd party drivers that included the old ATI control panel setup instead. That said, CCC has been improved a good amount over the years although I haven't used it in more than a year now.

That said, the current nVidia control panel has to be the worst piece of garbage I've seen for adjusting the settings on a video card. In my experience it has to be the most confusing and definitely slowest damn software I've ever had to use for the job. The only thing I use it for is to setup my dual monitors in dualview mode and that's it. Anything else I want to change I use RivaTuner for.

I used ATI cards up until the beginning of last year when I picked up a 7600GT at which point I've been using nVidia in my main system.

For the foreseeable time, I will continue to use nVidia cards as they have better Linux drivers and performance right now. However, ATI has more recently put a lot more effort into Linux drivers so it might change before too long. If the ATI Linux drivers reach or exceed the nVidia drivers, I will look into an ATI card for my main machine again.

CCC is the same as it was 3 or 4 years ago when it was introduced - a bloated slow piece of cyber-crap. Slow to open, cumbersome to navigate, and altogether a notoriously bad example of efficient programming. .NET indeed...

It takes like 5 seconds to open up the first time, then 1-2 seconds after that. What's so bloated and slow about it? It's not like you're constantly using it either. And the navigation menus makes a hell of a lot more sense than Nvidias CP.

Considering you use a PALIT (read UGLY) 8800GT, that's rather hypocritical.

p/s: I stopped bothering with all those CCC haters when they got themselves turdish motherboards with turdish drivers sold with the initial letter n.

Why would ANYONE still ask this question? :p Move on, people.. different people have different tastes/priorities..

I'm interested to see what nvidia's answer to the 4870x2 will be. I can't see them doing a gtx 280x2...

I'm interested to see what nvidia's answer to the 4870x2 will be. I can't see them doing a gtx 280x2...

The current 200 series architecture has a lot of issues, is expansive to manufacture. They're fucked for a little while.

This Christmas, Santa will wear ATI colors!

The current 200 series architecture has a lot of issues, is expansive to manufacture. They're fucked for a little while.

This Christmas, Santa will wear ATI colors!

for some reason this made me laugh pretty hard

It would seem that nvidia is screwed once ati's new x2's come out. At that point ATI will have every price point covered. nvidia would have to cut prices even more and would still be out of luck at the top. I don't think a shrink of the 280 will be enough....

for some reason this made me laugh pretty hard

It would seem that nvidia is screwed once ati's new x2's come out. At that point ATI will have every price point covered. nvidia would have to cut prices even more and would still be out of luck at the top. I don't think a shrink of the 280 will be enough....

I'm glad I made you laugh !

I was serious though... once ATI releases the X2 Nvidia is totally screwed. They'll have to drop prices significantly for us WITH A NFORCE BOARD to buy 2x 280. Problem is of course, they can't drop so much, because of the manufacturing price.

As I said = pwned.

ATI has the upper hand until Nvidia comes out with a new architecture with lower manufacturing costs that will allow them to lower prices and compete.

Having been king for almost two years should mean they have the $$$ to invest and fix the mistake, like, about fucking now.

This is coming from someone who CURRENTLY owns a 790i all watercooled with blocks. It's around 500$ all together... I'd be pissed if I had to switch to an intel board or be stuck with 1 card because I can't crossfire.

all you read for a year was "i'm tired of the refreshes i'm not buying an nvidia card until new architecture, etc,etc. so now theres a new card, and a vast majority are still bitching. all that stress gonna kill you guys. might be time to get a new hobby. there is always going to be a better card. always. maybe not right now, but soon enough.

Come on now guys, i'm sure we can have a discussion without resorting to name calling :).

Oh well, can't please 'em all. I liked ATI Tray Tools better than both the CCC and NV control panel.

Except it causes problems with other software sometimes.

And nothing beats NVIDIA's built in game profile settings.

The 3 ATI cards I have owned I always hated having to get 3rd party software to set my custom settings for each game.

Of course there isn't, we all know nVidia can survive until their next shrink selling every GT200 they make at a loss. Not so for ATi.

What's so funny about this thread is that the 4870 and GTX 260 are so evenly matched that for the majority of people it wouldn't matter and the prices are pretty much the same now, with the GTX 260 being a tab cheaper.

The huge performance vs. ration advantage that AMD had last week is all but gone. It's just not that much difference. I guess that's why all of the chatter.

You guys can debate the facts all you want but when it gets personal, you can count on a mod to take action and if it continues, someone with "Administrator" as their title will stop by and dish out some vacations. It is completely up to you.

Keep in civil, please......

Because you own an SLI board
Because you like NV AIB's better
Because you like the games NV's cards do better in
Because you want to avoid a dual GPU setup program.
Because they're cheaper (right now, the price war has begun :) )
Because you want the extra texture horsepower.
Because you want immediate CUDA (PhysX) support.

All valid points besides the pricing and dual GPU.

Yes, Nivida has lowered their price, but that is cutting into their margins. ATI still has plenty to cut into where Nvidia is stuck until their boards are cheaper to make.

The dual GPU thing is completely over blown. Descreet boards are going to have multi GPUs/cores, it is the way it has to go as there is only so far you can go with one huge GPU. AMD identified this early, and began moving towards that route with the 3XXX series. All indications are the new design of the 4870x2 removes many of the flaws the 3870x2 had.

Of course there isn't, we all know nVidia can survive until their next shrink selling every GT200 they make at a loss. Not so for ATi.

You mean the same nvidia that's stock is tanking because of lower revenue, lower profit margins, and a flawed laptop chipset?

Like it or not, the main factor of their price drop was not AMD's new cards.

because SLI is something I am not interested in...

Funny nobody figures in their new mobo/ breaking in/tweakup period...

You are not going to just setup a new Xfire setup pain free.

Buy mobo. attempt to recreate OC currently held, then get your SLI/Xfire running at top speed.

easier said then done.

Back