Why would a word processor shows 2 different type of quotation on the same font?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I am using Wordperfect 13, w/ the default as arial font. When I type the double quotation symbol ===>> "

it is curly, like 2 ,, hanging at the top

However, when I cut & paste a quote from web site like CNN.com, or yahoo.com, it is straight ===>> "

but w/ only 1 default font, how can it display 2 different type of " under the same keyboard?

the straight ones are plain text which are not formatted. the curly ones are smart quotes and are formatted

So is there a way for me to type the straight ones under Arial font in Wordperfect? Because each time I type, all I get is the curly ones.

not sure with wordperfect but I would check in the settings for the autocorrect or whatever it's called. I know in word you can stop it from changing straight quotes to smart quotes

Go to "Tools", "Quick Correct", "Smart Quotes".

The default setting for double quotation marks is curly. To make curly double quotation marks straight, choose the straight double quotation mark from the "Open" and "Close" dropdown menu located to the right of "Use double quotation marks as you type.

thank you, that's a new one. I use Wordperfect all these years, I didn't know they have this function, thank you very much

Back