Why video card prices are still so high?

It is insane. I am really debating on selling my 1060 3GB

What is stupid.. is I bought an RX 480 for my son on day one of release. Paid 200 for it... Sold it for 250 6 months later... Then bought a PowerColor Rx 480 Red Devil on sale.. for 200... now you cant find a 580 for less than 350..

Trying to find a "budget" video card for a friends rig, christ what a pain in the ass. I can't believe I'm considering used 980's on craigslist for $250. On Newegg every single card from 1050 to 1080ti is sold out, and AMD have been gone from the market for so long I've forgotten they even exist (hah, how about saving money with freesync now suckers). If they had the games he wants to play on Xbox I'd tell him to buy that instead.

Tempted to sell my 1080ti for 1k.

These prices are stupid right now.

Wish I bought a bunch of cards in early November when I got mine cheap.

So the RAM I bought over a year ago for $209 is now $422, and the GPU I bought 10 months ago for $699 is now going for $1K+... wow. I feel lucky, but it's a shame what this industry has come to.

The demise of PC gaming... brought to you not by consoles, but by digital coins and electricity flushing farms. Amazing!

This is a pretty wild time to be a PC enthusiast. I never imagined not being able to buy a (reasonably priced) part when the time for an upgrade was needed. I bought a GTX 570 for $350 in '11. It died yesterday, a refurbed 570 is now going for $375. :eek:

Even if they think mining is not a valuable part of their business, if they can't get video cards into the hands of PC gamers, then they have no business.

Doesn't matter to them, either way they are selling out their stock, be it to gamers or miners. Gamers are now on the low end of the totem pole.

With the prices you guys are talking about, importing GPUs from Europe is starting to look like a decent option lol

Still plenty of stock here and prices haven't really changed compared to last year. I guess there's an upside to high energy prices when you're a gamer :D

Just checked my favorite store, micro center and they're out of 1080, 1080 ti, and titans.

Just checked my favorite store, micro center and they're out of 1080, 1080 ti, and titans.

Ive just read on another forum to me there in the morning when they get a shipment on fridays.. can get limit of 1 gpu per customer.. and that's how stock never updates. So good luck.

Ive just read on another forum to me there in the morning when they get a shipment on fridays.. can get limit of 1 gpu per customer.. and that's how stock never updates. So good luck.

I already got me a 1080ti and love it. I only game. Not into this silly mining stuff.

MC and Fry's are usually the first thing to go dry in times like this.

When is the new Nvidia gaming GPU supposed to be out? Looks like the Titan XP is in stock. Its pretty hard to find anything else. I need more miners! :)
I was thinking of putting the Titan in my gaming rig and using the 1080ti to mine on. Cost right now, the Titans are pretty good.(and in stock)

Because it seems most of the retailers are out of... everything. 1050ti's and below you can get.

Even 1050tis are slim pickings. Everyone is selling their 1070s and up to miners for a profit and buying up all the 1050s and 1050tis to hold them off the prices drop.
As of yesterday newegg didnt have a 1050ti in stock for less than 250 bucks

Can an XB1X or PS4 pro be converted to mining duty?

With today's RX580 prices, we are nearing the point where buying a $500 console would be a viable alternative for mining.

Maybe it would alleviate some of the GPU demands.
(Sony and Microsoft wouldn't mind it either)

Sony and Microsoft sell the hardware so they get a cut of the software titles sold for their respective hardware. Sony in particular has been rather restrictive with their hardware and the usage thereof.

With that said, the hardware used is similar to what is found in PCs (with some modifications). Some enterprising soul could probably figure out how to convert either unit for mining purposes. Don't expect Microsoft or Sony to be happy about it, though.

Makes sense. If they figured out how to get a ps3 doing f@h with its wonky hardware and software, this would be relatively easy.

Wow all this mining stuff just really nuts! 18 years working with pc and not once I ever see hardware prices go nuts!

I think we got it all wrong.

Mining will be the death of PC gaming. If PC gamers can't afford high end GPUs to play their games. They'll switch back to consoles or give up the hobby altogether.

I think we got it all wrong.

Mining will be the death of PC gaming. If PC gamers can't afford high end GPUs to play their games. They'll switch back to consoles or give up the hobby altogether.

On the other hand, those of us on the other end of the budget spectrum are probably laughing at our Titans suddenly becoming the most value oriented high end gaming card :-V

Back