Why upgrade to i7 and Nehalem ?

What is next after Nehalem and when will it come out? Seems like that is what most people will jump on.

What is next after Nehalem and when will it come out? Seems like that is what most people will jump on.

i don't think so, people just wont jump on Nah if they are gamers, Nah is only equal to the C2Q right now in gaming.. everything else it slaps around C2Q from what has been said so far.

You don't *need* three sticks. You can easily use two sticks and run the system in dualchannel mode.
I believe it can even run in singlechannel mode if you REALLY want to. But the performance difference between dualchannel and triple channel will probably be very small in most cases.

Interesting, seems like that would be almost obvious but I hadn't really given it any thought.

Most people who have 2+ cards set up probably already have their respective boards and cards. Those who don't yea sure, but no reason for current owners to switch brands and entire set ups y'know.

I want an iCore.

There's a lot of people out there with SLI setups who're still quite unhappy with their 680i boards and such, I'm sure they'd think about an i7 upgrade before giving NVidia mobos another shot. ;)

seriously i have no clue where people are getting this "SERIOUZ IMPROVEMENT ON NON GAMING APPS" from... I believe most people are basing their i7 performance on that chinese review that was posted around here correct? The only thing i7 had SERIOUS improvement over the previous quad was BLUR photoshop. It was faster by like what 30 points (whatever the measurement they used was...) And 5 points faster in the CPU render under 3dmax.

I don't see how that is omgwtfserious improvement over the previous processor...

And to the idiot that was comparing this with getting new cellphones and cars... Newer generation of cars/cellphones always look more modern and stylish, which plays a big factor in those products (performances + looks), where the only thing that matters to a CPU is performances and maybe power consumption.

seriously i have no clue where people are getting this "SERIOUZ IMPROVEMENT ON NON GAMING APPS" from... I believe most people are basing their i7 performance on that chinese review that was posted around here correct? The only thing i7 had SERIOUS improvement over the previous quad was BLUR photoshop. It was faster by like what 30 points (whatever the measurement they used was...) And 5 points faster in the CPU render under 3dmax.

I don't see how that is omgwtfserious improvement over the previous processor...

And to the idiot that was comparing this with getting new cellphones and cars... Newer generation of cars/cellphones always look more modern and stylish, which plays a big factor in those products (performances + looks), where the only thing that matters to a CPU is performances and maybe power consumption.
seriously are u blind? in 3dmark is alot faster, in encoding its alot faster and especialy in winrar it leaves your beloved core 2 left out to dry.

go and find more benchmarks before stating just the old chinese benchmark LOL

umm nehalem mobo look more modern and stylish to me...

seriously are u blind? in 3dmark is alot faster, in encoding its alot faster and especialy in winrar it leaves your beloved core 2 left out to dry.

go and find more benchmarks before stating just the old chinese benchmark LOL

the chinese articles dated oct 16th. Please link a more "updated" benchmark if u have one.

Who said it was omgwtfserious improvement. Getting new cellphones and cars give the same benefit to some people with getting new technology, who the fk said anything about looks? Way to generalize and think everyone has the same POV as you. You're too idiotically blind to see that.

We are already said i7 won't see gaming improvements, what the hell else are you trying to prove? i7 is not for gaming if you already have a modern rig, it has OTHER BENEFITS, get it?

Who said it was omgwtfserious improvement. Getting new cellphones and cars give the same benefit to some people with getting new technology, who the fuck said anything about looks? Way to generalize and think everyone has the same POV as you. You're too idiotically blind to see that.

So what do people get new cellphones and cars for besides better performance or features, if not looks? Why do u think apple products sell? Why do u think u can tell the difference between a 1990s BMW and a 2008 one just based on the looks? Don't get all hostile on me just because i pointed out that based on the current reviews, nehalem isn't worth the money to be upgrading from a C2Q, other than ++epenis. Oh, and read through the thread again, im pretty sure quit a few people used words like "significant improvements" in their post.

We are already said i7 won't see gaming improvements, what the hell else are you trying to prove? i7 is not for gaming if you already have a modern rig, it has OTHER BENEFITS, get it?
When did i EVER talk about games?... I do 3D modeling and graphic design, therefore in my post i listed the two things i cared about, 3d max and photoshop, and both are known to be cpu intensive programs. Apparently i'll be able to "blur my images" about 1/10th faster. Hurray. That's definitely something worth getting a new mobo/cpu/ram for... As for other benefits, like what? Winrar your files a few seconds faster? Oh yes, another great reason to spend 800$~ because EVERYONE just sit infront of their computers and compress/uncompress their files ALL day long right?

Interesting, seems like that would be almost obvious but I hadn't really given it any thought.

You can try a lot of funkiness with today's Intel chipsets aswell, btw.
Most of their dualchannel chipsets can run in singlechannel mode, or even in 'asynchronous' mode, where you have two or more unmatched memory modules, and it tries to use dualchannel where it can, and singlechannel for the 'leftover' pieces of unmatched memory.
So it didn't really surprise me to hear that Nehalem can run in dualchannel mode. Intel chipsets have been able to run with whatever you throw at them for a while.

It's about personal satisfaction. i7 gives that to people who are more interested in the latest tech. Dude you're on [H], what don't you get about these forums and the people? You don't see engine mods on cars unless you flip the hood and drive like that all day, so why do people spend tens of thousands with it? Same stuff. Cellphones and "visual" gear are all part of the same equation.

The THREAD TOPIC is about games if you even bothered to read before trying to stir up shit. L2Comprehension.The fact that it provides improvement is enough of a justification for some people, if the advent of something new isn't reason enough. $800 is what you would find with TODAY's 775 systems, i7 at a premium of a hundred bucks or so.

Drama and flamebait somewhere else.

What I don't get is how some people talk like as if they *have* to upgrade. Like "Oh no, I just bought a new QX9770, and now Intel is forcing me to get a Core i7!". And then giving all sorts of excuses of why you shouldn't buy one. Sounds almost as if you're trying to keep yourself from buying one, because you have trouble resisting the 'newfangledness' of it all.
If it's not a big upgrade to you, don't buy it, simple as that. And you also have to realize that lots of people do NOT have a high-end quadcore yet, so for them it IS going to be a big upgrade.

What I don't get is how some people talk like as if they *have* to upgrade. Like "Oh no, I just bought a new QX9770, and now Intel is forcing me to get a Core i7!". And then giving all sorts of excuses of why you shouldn't buy one. Sounds almost as if you're trying to keep yourself from buying one, because you have trouble resisting the 'newfangledness' of it all.
If it's not a big upgrade to you, don't buy it, simple as that. And you also have to realize that lots of people do NOT have a high-end quadcore yet, so for them it IS going to be a big upgrade.

exactly. i dont even have a dual core. im still on a single core

When did i EVER talk about games?... I do 3D modeling and graphic design, therefore in my post i listed the two things i cared about, 3d max and photoshop, and both are known to be cpu intensive programs. Apparently i'll be able to "blur my images" about 1/10th faster. Hurray. That's definitely something worth getting a new mobo/cpu/ram for... As for other benefits, like what? Winrar your files a few seconds faster? Oh yes, another great reason to spend 800$~ because EVERYONE just sit infront of their computers and compress/uncompress their files ALL day long right?

compress/uncompress files quicker saves u time and energy in having your pc on all day or all night compressing/ encoding files while a i7 could do that in a couple of hours
O and you will be able to compress/encode MULTIPLE files at the same time more efficient that a core 2. toss in the fact that u DONT have to stop gaming while compressing/encoding as you do not have to worry about losing any framerates.

Yea, exactly, no problem with skipping an few CPU refreshes, especially now with the tick/tock scheme.
Same with Windows. People seem to think that they HAVE to have the latest. Business often skip one generation, so they'd go from NT4 to XP, or from 2000 to Vista, or from XP to Windows 7.
For the most part there's no problem with that.

Yea, exactly, no problem with skipping an few CPU refreshes, especially now with the tick/tock scheme.
Same with Windows. People seem to think that they HAVE to have the latest. Business often skip one generation, so they'd go from NT4 to XP, or from 2000 to Vista, or from XP to Windows 7.
For the most part there's no problem with that.

exactly. then when u upgrade. it will make a huge difference and u will pat yourself in the back and say money well spent because A. It will be like night and day compared to your old product and B. you know it will last longer then the current product thats out

The thing is, most people in this thread either already owns a C2Q, or a high end C2D (from their sigs). If you own a C2D, u obviously picked it because u have no use for a quad, and if you already own a C2Q, the i7 proves to be little improvement.

and lowteckh, all your arguments fail. First you said i7 has "other benefits", but being unable to prove the "other benefits", you now state that "i7 gives personal satisfaction to people who are more interested in the latest tech". So you do agree with me that its basically a epenis++?

Yes the thread topic is about gaming, but u quoted me and replied that "i7 doesn't improve gaming performance". So i don't see how im offtopic and just trying to "stir shit up".

And now you are saying im able to upgrade my mobo, cpu, and ram for "a hundred bucks or so"?... As far as i know the lowest i7 itself is $270~.

Seriously man, what are YOU trying to prove?

Noones giving all sorts of excuses not to buy one. I just have the same question as the OP as to why should we buy one, as I just use my computer for work and games on my spare time, instead of "self satisfaction".

The thing is, most people in this thread either already owns a C2Q, or a high end C2D (from their sigs). If you own a C2D, u obviously picked it because u have no use for a quad, and if you already own a C2Q, the i7 proves to be little improvement.

and lowteckh, all your arguments fail. First you said i7 has "other benefits", but being unable to prove the "other benefits", you now state that "i7 gives personal satisfaction to people who are more interested in the latest tech". So you do agree with me that its basically a epenis++?

Yes the thread topic is about gaming, but u quoted me and replied that "i7 doesn't improve gaming performance". So i don't see how im offtopic and just trying to "stir shit up".

And now you are saying im able to upgrade my mobo, cpu, and ram for "a hundred bucks or so"?... As far as i know the lowest i7 itself is $270~.

Seriously man, what are YOU trying to prove?

Noones giving all sorts of excuses not to buy one. I just have the same question as the OP as to why should we buy one, as I just use my computer for work and games on my spare time, instead of "self satisfaction".
why should we buy one? go and re read the thread. their are plenty of reasons why

I will be upgrading to the new system for the holidays. It is not that my system is not functioning but the potential for upgrading from my present sys is very limited with the 680i. i am assuming that the 1366 chipset will be around for several years(it better be), if not the upgrade is foolish. my 680i is limited in the following:
PCI_E 1.0
cannot use newer 45nm quad chips.

So? Then just don't buy it, right?
I don't see why people talk as if they HAVE to buy Nehalem, and that the CPU is crap because it won't make their GPU-limited games run quicker.
I'm getting a bit tired of it all.
I'm not going to buy one because I don't need one, but I think it's an excellent CPU, bringing back SMT, and finally solving the memory bandwidth bottleneck.

The above posters should shut you up good.
1. If you are too ignorant to go read up on the rest of the posts about the benefits instead of needing me to regurgitate everything, then I suppose you wouldn't know what "other benefits" mean. You entered this thread just asking to start shit, calling me an idiot?
2. So what? Some people just want the latest and greatest. You make it seem like people going after this chip and chipset are all rich douchebags with too much cash.
3. The topic is about gaming and your first reply to this thread is your rant had no content relating to gaming, just a flamebait.
4. I said hundred or so PREMIUM over current Core2 counterparts. Again, L2Comprehension, it seem this is much too hard for you to understand so I'll leave you to take it as whatever you think it is.
5. Proving that you are a flamebaiting troll.

like i posted before, why not? i always upgrade. maybe not the absolute first guy, or the absolute top of the line stuff. but i will buy in the first couple/few weeks (after picking up what to look for and look out for from the earlier adopters), and i will get the $320 cpu and the $200 ram and the $300 mb. i will sell my stuff now for around $400 (e8500 e0, 8gb g.skill pi, dfi ut p45) and kick in the rest. no biggy.

Until the NDA is lifted, this is all speculation. We'll just have to wait if the difference between the Nehalem and Wolfdale/Penryn chips are as drastic as the hype says it is. Until then, the benchmarks that were shown to us already are just marginally better than the "latest and greatest".

Why should anyone really upgrade to i7 ? Just curious, lets say if someone has the Q9650 QuadCore with 4gb DDR2 on a X48 Intel motherboard, that is almost the best of the best today before Nehalem next month. I mean obviously I could see if your still on a P4 of course you need a upgrade, but what about the freaks that like to be on the bleeding edge ?

Why should an eXtreme gamer or [H]ard enthusiast upgrade to i7 ? I am just curious really, like when comparing new generations of Videocards, usually the next gen is way faster, look at ATI 4870x2 vs 3870x2 = huge difference, but then look at GTX-280 vs 8800Ultra big difference but not night and day. Where does i7 fall into compared to C2D ?

Will MMORPG's that require more than just a beefy Videocard run smoother, games like WAR or AoC ? Or people running games at super high res and ultra settings benefit ?

There's more to computers than just gaming.

ableton.jpg

I'm working towards dual degrees in Digital Art and Computer Science. I do shitloads upon shitloads of 3D rendering and video encoding. I'm also always producing audio in my free time and there's a lot of juice required there too. Sometimes I work at the digital arts lab where they have nice machines, but I'm usually stuck at home rendering on my P4 machine because I'm either too cheap to burn gas to drive to campus when I don't have to, or all the computers are taken anyway. Call me masochistic, but it's been getting me through for a little while.

Long story short, I've been setting aside money and I absolutely cannot wait until next summer when I'm going to build my Nehalem machine.

I'd love to get a dual socket mobo and have a 16 core system once the 8 cores roll out. Is that going to possible before Fall 2009? I was going to either ask later or just wait and see, but whatever.

Oh hey let's benchmark a brand new CPU with year old games and see how it does! Silliness. This christmas release, and especially next christmas release we will see more games leveraging multi-core, DX10, and advantages of the newer CPU architectures. MANY of the current games are still optimized for AMD designs and speeds, thus not being CPU bound at all on Core 2.

I really doubt it's an AMD vs Intel thing... Tough further multi-threading optimizations certainly have the potential to make a big difference, but then again, that would also benefit C2Q's.

The above posters should shut you up good.
1. If you are too ignorant to go read up on the rest of the posts about the benefits instead of needing me to regurgitate everything, then I suppose you wouldn't know what "other benefits" mean. You entered this thread just asking to start shit, calling me an idiot?
2. So what? Some people just want the latest and greatest. You make it seem like people going after this chip and chipset are all rich douchebags with too much cash.
3. The topic is about gaming and your first reply to this thread is your rant had no content relating to gaming, just a flamebait.
1. Yet you still fail to name any specific "other benefits"
2. I make it seem like what? You are the one who said, and may i quote, "It's about personal satisfaction", in other words, rich people with too much cash?
3. Yes the topic is about gaming. Its funny how the op is only asking a question that in the case of gamers, what benefit would he have by upgrading. And everybody just jumped on the bandwagon and flamed the shit out of the guy by saying shit like "theres more to games!". Your answers are good, except its all offtopic cuz infact the op doesn't give a shit about non-gaming uses...

And then i come asking what these "other benefits" are, and providing the only benchmark out right now as backup. Guess what? I get flamed just like the OP.

Why? Because u people have way too much ego over the internet...Seriously, suck it up and stop crying like little girls.

3. Yes the topic is about gaming. Its funny how the op is only asking a question that in the case of gamers, what benefit would he have by upgrading. And everybody just jumped on the bandwagon and flamed the shit out of the guy by saying shit like "theres more to games!". Your answers are good, except its all offtopic cuz infact the op doesn't give a shit about non-gaming uses...

And then i come asking what these "other benefits" are, and providing the only benchmark out right now as backup. Guess what? I get flamed just like the OP.

Amen Brother

I am selling my board and CPU to Brother, and just bought the Asus Rampage X48 motherboard, and Q9550, that will hold me over until the X68 chipset comes out. I think the even number X series are the safer bet, the odd numbers X38 and X58 are the first gen stuff, I don;t want to be a beta tester, the even numbers X series are the 2nd gen for each platform and more stable and better.

So late 2009 when the X68 comes out I will buy that with the 4ghz stock LG1336 CPU

I will just wait for Nov 17th/18th to see what the i7 Core series can really do performance wise. Price wise the Q6600 still looks more promising. I just can't see myself paying $275 for a Mainboard, and $300 for 6GB triple channel DDR3 memory if the performance increase on average (clock for clock) will only be 10% in most 3D games. 8GB of DDR2 for $120 sounds a lot better.

I don't really care for applications that much, because most depend on memory for good performance. I just want a good platform that will last for another 2 years like my AMD 4200+.

Is the x58 atx size? or are they going to have a new size for the new i7 chipsets?
x58 is a chipset :)

But yeah, the boards we know of are standard ATX, and microATX boards will be out soon enough.

AFAIK SIS doesnt have a QPI license, and nV doesn't either. Its quite possible that x58 will be the ONLY bloomfield chipset. And lynnfield will never be supported under x58, simply because of QPI vs DMI for the interface.

If you're 1/2 - 1 generation behind in CPU, the jump is not significant enough at first is my take on it.

The rig in my sig is what the i7 is replacing. Is it suitable still, hell yes, I'm happy with it. But its upgrade time, going on 3 years with the same box, and the i7 is whats gonna be the best of the best at the time I upgrade, and thats how I do it anymore. Basically just completely new box and just use the other one as a backup, or give it to people I know w/o the same desires for upgrade (family)

Back