Why ultrawide when 4K+custom res is possible?

No reason of ultrawide over 4k. I have 2 of 32 and 34 inch curved UltraWides form Samsung and Agon and while those are great I would buy 4k as my next monitor.

I'd rather three 43" - 55" worth of screen at 4k+ per, all in one long screen with proper scaling 2k -> 4k ->8k ->16k. :)
Having a wall of monitor like that which that allowed you to make your own smaller screen size within it 1:1 windowed mode would be a great option too if software would support it.
As it is, the ultrawides are just too short for me now. They are around 13.3" tall. I have a 31.5" diagonal 16:9 now and the height is nice.

I'd rather have a big tv as monitor once they get QFT for low input lag and 4k 120hz. I'd just re-arrange my room so that I'd be sitting ~ 5' away from it.

What about running the game in windowed mode? Does that still stretch it? A lot of the better games support windowed or windowed+borderless, and g-sync works in windowed mode too.

http://www.wsgf.org/mgl

Last edited:
While I hear that, what you describe is a software problem and not a hardware problem. People shouldn't support games with ass engineering.

Well, yeah. That's why I said:

while my initial thoughts haven't changed, the reality of game software has gotten in the way of that dream,

So I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by your post?

I would buy 4k as my next monitor.

I fully respect your preference, but the past 2 years have taught me that while 4K is great, it's also greatly overhyped. It's more defined, and that's it. It's not such an amazing picture, because they're not better pixels, there's just more of them. I'd much rather have a 1080p OLED display that is burn-in free. Frankly 1080p is perfectly fine up to 27", which is borderline acceptable. After that, 1440p is fine for 27-34", it's only at 40" that you really need 4K to look good. But that's just my opinion, I get that some people are more sensitive to DPI - maybe because I lived through computers in the 80s and 90s blockier text just doesn't bother me - it's what computer text is "supposed to look like" :)

What about running the game in windowed mode? Does that still stretch it?

Windowed mode fixed the stretching, but then it ran like garbage, because you lose all the fullscreen optimizations. In not-so-demanding games, like Dishonored 2, that's exactly what I did - and opened the Windows settings panel since I have it set to dark, so the surrounding screen area was black. It can work but it's far from an ideal situation, the goal is fluid gameplay in fullscreen mode. I even tried flawless widescreen, but I just cannot figure that program out, it's so confusing to use.

Last edited:
I just cant imagine sitting in my den, in my nice office chair with a 43"+ TV 2 feet from my face....

That sounds good I just don't want smaller monitor anymore. At least not that short with that kind of width. The ultrwaides are like short belts. I'd prefer them to be the height of a 32 - 40" 16:9 for gaming.

Realistically, I'm going for 1000nit+ HDR high density FALD array (most likely the 480zone FALD on the samsung tvs) , HDMI 2.1 for 4k at 120hz native with VRR and QFT low input lag. That means hdmi 2.1 though so probably won't be on gpus until 2020+ even if there will be highly capable hdr1000 gaming displays( qft low input lag 4k 120hz native fald hr1000 tvs) available in 2019. Perhaps by that time true HDR displays and hdr content will become more common at least so we might have more options on sizes. In addition to TV lines having hdmi 2.1 in 2019, I'm assuming the consoles in 2020 will have hdmi 2.1 , VRR (xbox already supports vrr on hdmi 2.0b), 4k 120hz and qft.. while nvidia's 2000 card line won't.

-------------------------------------------------

Regarding large monitors - as long as you have the space to keep the monitor on it's own pedestal or on a wall mount arm it should be little problem other than setup, rearranging the room and redoing desk if necessary. I have always felt that you should design your home theater or pc gaming "studio"'s layout and lighting around the display and sound system, not the other way around.

I have a large, long sweeping desk with a curve on one side and keep a 43" 4k on an arm on the left side set back in the corner slightly and it works great at that distance and ppi. Adds a lot of desktop space, half screen full height web browsing on the side closest to me, great for media windows, 2 - 4 open windows, twitch streams, foobar playlist, full screen video playback, etc. It's like having three monitors in one(long browser + two windows) , 4 quadrants, or one big one. I also have a 27" ips on my right side that I will be replacing with another 43" :). I could easily use a 55" or even 65"(samsung q9) as my primary (gaming) monitor if I set it on one wall or on a stand/pillar and moved my desk so that the opposite wall was at my back even in a smaller room. I have a couchmaster lap desk setup on my big couch in my living room and sometimes connect my laptop to a 70" tv that is only about 7' from my eyeballs and that is no problem either once I drop the scaling from 15" laptop increase.

I've never been a fan of desks against a wall like a bookshelf. To me that is from the era when computers were to be stuffed away and hidden somewhere like someone watching a small tv in a garage or a breezeway or the corner of a lunch counter instead of setting up a home entertainment center, drafting/cgi design studio, photo studio, etc. I think there can be a big difference between having a gaming "theater" with immersion and surround sound as a goal and a spreadsheet desk. My goal is theater/studio/command center but I realize not everyone has the space or desire to dedicate their room design (including direct lighting sources and vectors, speaker placement, desk size and orientation, overall room space consumption, wiring, personal aesthetic tastes, etc) to one.

Futuristically,. I'd be happy with a whole wall of monitor more or less if I could make virtual monitors within it somehow (like window sizes) so that I could game at whatever size and aspect ratio I decided to frame on a per game basis. Physical monitor at least until lightweight VR and "clear" AR screen-glasses were high enough resolution to have high detail virtual monitors within them. By that point the games will probably be breaking out virtually into real space anyway so the concept of "screen" will be different when creatures or other game assets are running and scrolling around a table top, floor, wall.. rooms and corridors etc like 3d holograms in AR, or you are totally immersed in the game world in VR.

Last edited:
I know its a pretty old thread.. But I have the same question. If I don't care about black bars, then I guess the best option is a 43" 4K monitor @120hz. Am I wrong?

Yes, 43" 4K would be perfect. Just make sure it has FreeSync/G-Sync compatible and can actually run at 120Hz at full res.

I know its a pretty old thread.. But I have the same question. If I don't care about black bars, then I guess the best option is a 43" 4K monitor @120hz. Am I wrong?
You will miss the curved aspect though. Also there are no 43" 4K 120 Hz monitors worth buying on the market right now.

You will miss the curved aspect though. Also there are no 43" 4K 120 Hz monitors worth buying on the market right now.
I had a curved ultrawide (34") and moved to a 4k 43" @120Hz (Acer CG437K). I got it for 800 used and I couldn't be more happy. I still have the ultrawide but I don't see why to keep it.

Last edited:
Been using a 4k 40" display for some time with a custom wide screen res, 3840x1620. This is about 25% less pixels than full UHD, so the performance gain vs UHD is useful. Problem is, after extended use (about a year), their is slight burn-in at the edges of the black bars.

Been using a 4k 40" display for some time with a custom wide screen res, 3840x1620. This is about 25% less pixels than full UHD, so the performance gain vs UHD is useful. Problem is, after extended use (about a year), their is slight burn-in at the edges of the black bars.
Do you have a picture of the burn-in ? What type of panel do you have ?

Back