Why the price drop on BB?

x509

2[H]4U
So I just checked the BB site, and of course all the 3060s were sold out. But there was something new, a price drop. Why would BB drop prices when they sell everything they can? And not just a token $10.

1617397223134.png

Almost everything PNY or MSI has been marked up tremendously over msrp on Best Buy but I don’t think I’ve seen any drop with some of the more extreme marked up prices. I have seen some Asus cards drop that are marked up pretty high but given the street value on them... what are you going to do? If you’re so lucky to get one in your cart you will gladly accept whatever lubrication it takes 😆

There's a couple cards like this, with lower prices. I don't think any of them have ever been in-stock or recently restocked.

Since none of the cards are actually available, they shoulda gone all out and given 75% off. Hell, 100%! It's all so stupid.

Because of the pricing it has put my GPU and probably monitor upgrade on hold. Not because I couldn't afford it but it's a principle matter. I regret I cheaped out and didn't get a 3070 or 3060 Ti at launch, wanted to a get a FE card. Should have gotten any card I could have got hands on. I did have a 3060 Ti card ordered until a month or so waiting until they told me they wouldn't get any more of them in stock. Since then it has kind of withered any upgraditis I had til rock bottom.

you are 100% right, you haven't kept up with video card MSRPs.
MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) hasn't changed, just the availability/markup prices have. Granted the markups are disgusting. E.g. my card has a retail price that is 50% more than retail pricing at launch and 65% more than I paid for my card when I ordered it at launch.

MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) hasn't changed, just the availability/markup prices have. Granted the markups are disgusting. E.g. my card has a retail price that is 50% more than retail pricing at launch and 65% more than I paid for my card when I ordered it at launch.
MSRP has changed, the manufacturers have literally changed what they suggest the retail price should be.

MSRP has changed, the manufacturers have literally changed what they suggest the retail price should be.
Nvidia is the manufacturer so they set the MSRP for the GPU. Actual retail price and suggested retail price is not the same thing.

Nvidia is the manufacturer so they set the MSRP for the GPU. Actual retail price and suggested retail price is not the same thing.
EVGA, Asus, Zotac, MSI, Gigabyte, etc, are all manufacturers as well, and they HAVE changed their MSRPs.

EVGA, Asus, Zotac, MSI, Gigabyte, etc, are all manufacturers as well, and they HAVE changed their MSRPs.
I think you’re referring to the tariff price increase and not anything to do with inflated eBay prices.

I think you’re referring to the tariff price increase and not anything to do with inflated eBay prices.
No they really have changed their msrps. Nvidia only sets msrp for reference designs and most of these AIBs don’t even sell the reference design.

Evgas msrp goes up this month.

No they really have changed their msrps. Nvidia only sets msrp for reference designs and most of these AIBs don’t even sell the reference design.

Evgas msrp goes up this month.
They went up to due to tariffs though. eVGA has the lowest increase I’ve seen so far.

It isn't just tariff prices anymore, the prices for other components for making electronics have also increased, so MSRPs have gone up for not only tariff costs, but component shortage costs as well. Very ugly time we are living in for buying PC hardware for reasonable prices. The other issue for increased prices in the future is the increasing cost of smaller die shrinks, this will lead to further price increases that we are not used or desiring of but it is the cost of making itty bitty transistors even ittier and bittier than before.

It isn't just tariff prices anymore, the prices for other components for making electronics have also increased, so MSRPs have gone up for not only tariff costs, but component shortage costs as well. Very ugly time we are living in for buying PC hardware for reasonable prices. The other issue for increased prices in the future is the increasing cost of smaller die shrinks, this will lead to further price increases that we are not used or desiring of but it is the cost of making itty bitty transistors even ittier and bittier than before.
Have prices for anything besides GPUs gone up? Mobos seem okay, PSUs seem okay, both of which use a lot of components. Which would mean it's a Samsung or VRAM issue?
TSMC related electronics (consoles, AMD products) are also suffering.

Have prices for anything besides GPUs gone up? Mobos seem okay, PSUs seem okay, both of which use a lot of components. Which would mean it's a Samsung or VRAM issue?
I'm not privy to the whole electronics supply chain or all of the effected components, but some of those items such as Mobos and PSUs may not be affected yet. DDR RAM memory prices are expected to increase this year, something like 20% if I recall. AMD did increase their 5000 series prices like for like core counts, maybe they priced some of that in so we are not seeing an MSRP increase but an e-tailer/retailer increase. Motherboards may not need some of the more exotic raw amterial that transistor manufacturing companies need to make CPUs and GPUs, that may account for some of the differences.

Soon it'll all be cheap again. Pandemic is dying out, and people will forget that they even wanted a video card soon with summer here.

All the 'luck' in aquiring one, will be replaced by patience for a 4xxx card in September that won't be pestered by the same issues, and hopefully will not be sucking up 350+w, needing VRAM pads, or catching PC's on fire..

Could be wrong, but historically speaking, that's what I expect.

Soon it'll all be cheap again. Pandemic is dying out, and people will forget that they even wanted a video card soon with summer here.

All the 'luck' in aquiring one, will be replaced by patience for a 4xxx card in September that won't be pestered by the same issues, and hopefully will not be sucking up 350+w, needing VRAM pads, or catching PC's on fire..

I've also heard there are changes to Ethereum coming by the end of Summer so there may be a surge in used cards coming.
I think we're going to see record travel and vacation numbers this summer, that's for sure. Can't say what the impact on the GPU market will be.

I've also heard there are changes to Ethereum coming by the end of Summer so there may be a surge in used cards coming.
I think we're going to see record travel and vacation numbers this summer, that's for sure. Can't say what the impact on the GPU market will be.
ETH miners have been accumulating as fast as they can before ETH moves to proof of stake (currently proof of work, hence the mineability) as ETH is still the most profitable coin to mine. However, if ETH 2.0 doesn’t land this summer, 6GB equipped GPUs will have to be switched to different coins or mine a bit longer with tricky workarounds like the 4GB cards. If ETH changes to proof of stake most miners will switch to a different coin. Raven coin seems to be the next favorite coin though it requires a lot more power to mine that ETH because it uses more of GPU core whereas ETH uses mostly memory bandwidth and some of the core.

ETH miners have been accumulating as fast as they can before ETH moves to proof of stake (currently proof of work, hence the mineability) as ETH is still the most profitable coin to mine. However, if ETH 2.0 doesn’t land this summer, 6GB equipped GPUs will have to be switched to different coins or mine a bit longer with tricky workarounds like the 4GB cards. If ETH changes to proof of stake most miners will switch to a different coin. Raven coin seems to be the next favorite coin though it requires a lot more power to mine that ETH because it uses more of GPU core whereas ETH uses mostly memory bandwidth and some of the core.
Considering all the previous delays, are we even sure this will happen when they say it will?

You're not going to see a 4xxx card till maybe September 2022. These 3xxx just released last September.

Considering all the previous delays, are we even sure this will happen when they say it will?
That is the question, which is why people are jumping in to mine it as long as the good times last, however long it takes to move to proof of stake...

20 Supers came out less than a year after the originals. Although they were a direct response to Navi launch.
We could see a 30 Super series with the new mining blockers.

The RAM kit I bought went from like $180 to $230 in the span of a week. The motherboard has an original MSRP of $419.99 and is now $449.99. Much smaller difference vs a GPU in terms of total money, though that RAM kit went up like 22%.

I'm so old I remember shopping at newegg because they had reasonable prices on things.

I'm so old I remember shopping at newegg because they had reasonable prices on things.
Looking at the bapcsales subreddit, Newegg is still king of prices.
I shop there because they are the only site that doesn't tax me. They also send me tons of free shit as an Eggxpert reviewer.

I do miss their Premier program, though. Wish they'd bring it back.

why doesn't best buy and the others sell cards for the price they sell all day for on ebay?

I shop there because they are the only site that doesn't tax me. They also send me tons of free shit as an Eggxpert reviewer.

I think the only place that beats newegg is MicroCenter if you are lucky enough to have one near by. And if they do not, they WILL match newegg or amazon, so it is a win-win.

So true. These days B&H often has better prices AND no sales tax AND free shipping for most items. And Amazon's prices are usually the same as B&H's. So Newegg is the odd man out here.

No sales taxes? Do you live in a state with no sales taxes? Doesn't Amazon also not tax you?

Back