Why the New HealthCare.gov Website Is Going to Work This Time

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s a well-known fact that the original launch of the HealthCare.gov site was a total disaster from a programming standpoint and through steady work made the site at least usable. Now a new team of tech pros from some of the biggest tech corporations has been put in place that will guarantee a smooth second launch in November.

The Marketplace Light team fixed this by using something apparently in short supply during the original design of HealthCare.gov: common sense. “We just did the most basic simple thing that anybody would do,” a team member says. “Make one page, and use the e-mail as the user name.”

The original website is a perfect example of what happens when you let for-profit companies do things.

Is it me or will this be healthcare.gov v3?

user name/email was what broke the original site for me...

I just ended up making a new account after they redid it, because the original only half-worked and calling them was an exercise in futility. I could log in but I couldn't do anything.

Not sure why they had to redo again? After I made new account with different email on website #2, or whatever they changed, it worked like a charm and I had my choice between free healthcare and paid-programs that always denied me for a pre existing condition.

Approval? Got mine. He's got a good hook shot, too.

How much money did they throw away at it this time?
Free healthcare my ass.
Still not buying this fucker's shit.

Have not signed up for it. Will not sign up for it.

It's still going to be a sham. The whole idea, from the start, was a sham. It will never work the way they want it to and will be a perfect place for thieves to get info.

Nope, won't do it.

If by some miracle everything isn't broken, it will be lauded as an example of government superiority over private enterprise....

lmfao

A for-profit company has incentive to drag out producing the development so they get paid more, they also get incentive for making it bad and buggy so they get paid extra to fix it.

The original website is a perfect example of what happens when you let for-profit companies do things.

Or let relatives design websites because "anyone can do it". Didn't Gingrich spend $1mil of campaign funds towards a campaign website that was designed by a relative? So much corruption in these types of deals.

Right, because I really hate amazon's website, newegg's website, wsj's website, grocery stores, my car, my house, the bank that gave me loans to go to college, the clothes on my back, the shoes on my feet, etc... Oh yes, those terrible "for profit" companies that sold me shit I wanted and needed. Oh I am so upset with them for making the parts that power my computer. HOW EVIL OF THEM!!

A for-profit company has incentive to drag out producing the development so they get paid more, they also get incentive for making it bad and buggy so they get paid extra to fix it.

Actually you've just described how politicians use entitlement programs to remain in power.

Rcip

You apparently know very little about the software industry.

Most likely this project was flat-fee billed... so the provider has no reason to go over time.
Its contracts were likely so full of bureaucratic garbage and had no oversight.... that's a recipe to fail.... more so in the public space since the consequence for failure is immaterial to the engineer.

Sounds like a good description for what my last home repairs contractor did, cost me 20k and the floor needs replaced again 2 years later. Can't trust carpenters these days, worse than plumbers jeez.

The original website is a perfect example of what happens when you let for-profit companies do things

What?? Yes hired by and paid by the Federal Government will no over site.

This administration is full of incompetent, inexperienced, social activists headed by an arrogant,
man child, classless, boob of a president.

Does this mean that the American people don't need to apply lube first when bending over?

Yeah, cause sites like Amazon, Google, YouTube...so broken and impossible to use.

Although HardForum might be the perfect aaaaaand I'm banned.

So like Washington, that puts out fewer bills every year and spends even more?

This administration is full of incompetent, inexperienced, social activists headed by an arrogant,
man child, classless, boob of a president.

I take umbrage with that statement. Some of them are quite experienced in lying.

Here's an interesting tidbit. The original company that designed the website was notoriously known among federal agencies in DC as arguably the worst software company in terms of execution. Yet they got a no bid contract. Any other country and we would call it corruption and headlined in the NYT. Those evil people think of the children!

Here's an interesting tidbit. The original company that designed the website was notoriously known among federal agencies in DC as arguably the worst software company in terms of execution. Yet they got a no bid contract. Any other country and we would call it corruption and headlined in the NYT. Those evil people think of the children!

No-bid contracts should be outlawed. One problem, though. Take bids and you take the risk of hiring the lowest bidder. Doesn't matter if they do a good job, it's still going to make the late night rounds.

All they really had to do with healthcare.gov is provide a page of links to insurance provider's websites. It didn't need all this interactive stuff to fulfill it's mission.

Back