Why Successful People Don't Use Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am not sure how to take this article. It might be a joke (explaining why the headline is misspelled) or maybe it is a tongue-in-cheek jab at Facebook’s 400 million users. I don’t know, you'll have to read it and see what you think.

Let's face it, Facebook is turning into an idiot box that eats up much of your productive time as the television. Besides, just like the television, it is laced with subtle programming that is designed to make you a good little consumer so you can fill your life with a parade of trivial products that are creating more clutter than comfort. Don't forget all the data harvesting that Facebook has been accused of, and the rumors of it being a CIA operation are easy to laugh at, but sometimes you have to wonder just where all that data is going.

It is important to spend lots of time networking on Facebook so that you have contact for when you get fired for spending too much time on Facebook.

It is true that 99.9% of the Facebook users are barely capable of tying their shoelaces together, let alone remember how to breathe, but it's still a handy online addressbook.

Social networking? That's what email, forums, IM and IRC are for :)

(Also that little thing called 'real life'. I hear it's totally rad)

i find facebook to be an amazing way to get in touch with friends in my old home town and track down some people I havent seen in a long time. beyond that i cant figure out what facebook is good for :p

Successful people have other people run their facebook page, while they are off making money

Facebook is the biggest waste of time sense TV ;)

FAWK FACEBOOK, I have never and will never own a account

Is it me, or is there a progression to each new social network?

It seems like as each grows it's own success kills it. It's why people have jumped from Live Journal to Myspace to Facebook.

No facebook for me. We just had to fire a guy a couple of weeks ago for spending too much time on it. :eek:

Facebook was cool when it was college-students only, from only select universities.

Ive seen people fired at work over facebook, no need to paint a target on my back by creating an account.

Hell I have supervisory issues at work that i'm sure the genmay forum could give insight with. But I wont ask as Im not sure who might read it from work. (co-workers could be closet [H]er's)

Facebook is great for connecting with and keeping in touch with people.

It's not that hard to block applications on there. I've blocked every one I come across. Works great, and I can still talk to people.

Facebook is great for connecting with and keeping in touch with people.

It's not that hard to block applications on there. I've blocked every one I come across. Works great, and I can still talk to people.

+1 Find people. block apps. done.

I use Facebook primarily for the networking and I hate the excess crap (applications, lame games) but I do like to play a simple puzzle game sometimes though I think my employer has figured out how to prevent Facebook from loading the applications. Guess I should walk around and see if people are still playing that damn farm game.

I guess it's good for brief communication with long lost friends. But that's about it. The rest of friend to friend communication is better spent elsewhere.

Why waste your time on facebook when you can waste your time gaming?

FB and Myspace = Waste of time.

I don't care if it's the best way find long lost friends. My wife drives me up a wall with that FB shit. I'm about ready to block it imo :eek:

Is that a joke? Facebook includes the equivalent of all of the above. Plus eVite. Plus PopCap.

Your Facebook experience is directly correlated with what friends, groups, and applications you choose to accept/join.

It is true that 99.9% of the Facebook users are barely capable of tying their shoelaces together, let alone remember how to breathe, but it's still a handy online addressbook.

(Also that little thing called 'real life'. I hear it's totally rad)

So you use four systems: email, forums, IM and IRC to do what one system: Facebook could do for you? :p

So you use four systems: email, forums, IM and IRC to do what one system: Facebook could do for you? :p

Facebook can't do the [H]ardForums

Facebook can't IM my buddies on ICQ or Steam

Facebook can't email externally (I don't know if this true as i don't have shitbook)

Facebook from what I have seen, is a massive waste of a gaming computer.

I don't even have to wonder why facebook is blocked in the Air Force.

Why waste your time on facebook when you can waste your time gaming?

yep

I kinda got pushed into signin gup for facebook by some friends, and i ended up never really useing it. when they changed thier TOS i deactivated my account. Is there a way to delete entirely? or os that the same thing?

RANDOM PERSON: Hey man, you on Facebook?

ME: Why no, turns out I'm not gay.

RANDOM PERSON: "perplexed look on face"

ME: "shakes head walking away"

In before Mark Zuckerberg decides to drop by and show off how much monies he is worth and how that he is still on Facebook.

You guys sure are better than people who use Fb! Give yourself a pat on the back, hypocrites.

Don't get the whole "gotta post every freakin thing I do" crap myself. I go out to FB once a month or so, mostly to see if someone has a birthday I've forgotten. That's about it. I find it absolutely ridiculous the things people post out on facebook. I didn't realize that many people were that stupid.

yep

I kinda got pushed into signin gup for facebook by some friends, and i ended up never really useing it. when they changed thier TOS i deactivated my account. Is there a way to delete entirely? or os that the same thing?

while it worked, suicidemachine.org was ur best bet. deactivating is just that, all your info is still on fb servers. never actually deleting. suicidemachine.org logs in as you, and deletes everything youve ever posted one by one, unfriends all your friends etc etc etc.

works for fb, myspace, linkedin, twitter.

at the moment tho, facebook banned their ip so they're working on getting around that. aside from facebook tho, they're worth a looking at if you wanna kill off other social links you're sick of.

[vid of how it works http://vimeo.com/8223187]

I love how people get so passionate about their dislike for Facebook or [insert anything else popular like twitter, youtube, anything].

We get it, you're too cool to be social. Move on.

I love how people get so passionate about their dislike for Facebook or [insert anything else popular like twitter, youtube, anything].

We get it, you're too cool to be social. Move on.

I don't like any of those things. It's not cause I'm too cool for them, I just think they're stupid. Believe it or not, everyone gets to have an opinion, not just you... ;)

[RIP]Zeus;1035642698 said:
*Pats self on back for not being on shit EVER!!!*

Not being on shit ever? You sure make a lot of sense with your posts. Glad you are using that awesome power of your gaming computer to reply!

I like Facebook, it's fun. Just block the apps, and pay attention to the actual people. When you look for the entertainment in Facebook, instead of being a bitch, you'll find it.

[RIP]Zeus;1035642475 said:
Facebook can't do the [H]ardForums

Facebook can't IM my buddies on ICQ or Steam

Facebook can't email externally (I don't know if this true as i don't have shitbook)

Facebook from what I have seen, is a massive waste of a gaming computer.
Facebook | ICQ Download
FB also has e-mail notification of as much (or as little) as you want. I only check my e-mail every couple of weeks now. Steam/XBL are whole other animals since your games are tied to them.

It's about as much of a waste of a gaming computer as a browser, since that's all you need to use it. :confused:

I don't like any of those things. It's not cause I'm too cool for them, I just think they're stupid. Believe it or not, everyone gets to have an opinion, not just you... ;)
Yeah, but you're posting HERE, aren't you? I don't get how it's different. Forums are arguably better than, say, FB groups for targeted discussions, except you don't get to decide who can see your posts or comment on them.

By the way, while everyone has an opinion, not all opinions are equal. ;)

Do you really need that Facebook to have a productive life? No? Then take the challenge!

Facebook isn't my hobby of choice, but this attitude makes me angry. No one should spend their time doing anything that isn't productive.

People watch tv, movies, surf the web, play video games, etc etc. None of these are "productive" and so we shouldn't do any of them?

Yeah, but you're posting HERE, aren't you? I don't get how it's different. Forums are arguably better than, say, FB groups for targeted discussions, except you don't get to decide who can see your posts or comment on them.

By the way, while everyone has an opinion, not all opinions are equal. ;)

Posting and reading in a technical forum is an area where I'm comfortable and where I'll find a lot of like minded fellow tech enthusiasts. FB is more like a free for all where 99% of the crap I could care less about. People posting what they're doing, what they're eating, who they're screwing and then quoting song lyrics is more then pointless IMO, but that's just IMO. Some people love it and I say to each their own. Just don't try to sell me on the whole thing, that's all.

i find facebook to be an amazing way to get in touch with friends in my old home town and track down some people I havent seen in a long time. beyond that i cant figure out what facebook is good for :p

Likewise, although the only difference in my case, it's people back home in the UK

Found out my school has been setting up bots to track students from Facebook... they're empty accounts that "friend" you because you go to the school, the email address they signed up with is one that doesn't exist in the school's email directory (which lists every single email of every student/faculty).

It's funny though... I just use facebook to keep track of friends that I might not hang out with every day...

I still refuse Facebook, MySpace, & Twitter. I have no need to be that connected. Hell, I quit using a cell phone 4 years ago. It was a waste of money.

What?! You mean my dumbass opinions really can't get 1 million fans before [something internationally famous]?!!? I will have to write an incoherent, rambling status update about this!

Back