Why so slow to transfer file.

bobhowell

n00b
I am copying DVDs to my WHServer. I have a Gigabyte lan and it takes 35 min to rip each movie. I check network utilization and its at 3-4%. Where is my bottleneck?

source:
GA-MA69G-S3H MB
x2 4800
2gigs RAM
onboard gigabyte lan
Vista- sp1

NETGEAR 8 port gigabyte switch

WHS
MSI 939 MB
x2 4200+
1 gig RAM
Intel gigabyte NIC

The Intel NIC cut time down from 50 min., but this is still slow. It takes 12-15 min to rip to same sys., but I've no room. Anything I can do?

Are you ripping the data over the network or just transfering the exported file? If you are ripping over the network, thats your problem.

What kind of switch or hub do you have?

The source sys. is running Vista-SP1.

I guess I am ripping over the network. The save for the rip on the Vista sys. is the drive on the WHS.

2 mos. back, pre sp1 and Intel NIC, it took 12 hrs to transfer 250 gigs. I read others were having slow transfers that were solved with this card.

The DVD drive can get the data off in 12-15 min. How long should I expect it to transfer to the WHS? Any tweaks to speed it up?

Question: I have wondered why some MB's have 2 lan connections. Can you double the rate by hooking up two lan connections?

?

Am I understanding correctly...

You have a machine running Vista, that is ripping the dvd (I'm guessing ~8.5 gigs single sided dual layer) to its hard drive, then taking that rip and transferring it over a gigE network to a Windows Home Server machine and its taking 35 minuets to do each movie?

Are you using and firewall/anti-virus on these machines? If you are, try disabling them.

Well, I am riping straight to the WHS and taking 35min/ 8gigs. I rip from the source sys and the save target is WHS drive.

I will try that

I have cat 5 cables I installed 9-10 yr back. Are they an issue? I could up grade but its a lot of work.

Also, reading has confused me about jumbo frames. I set every nic to largest possible. With mixed systems, is this best?

I have cat 5 cables I installed 9-10 yr back.

Bingo!

Depending on the length of the cables....most likely yes the issue. CAT5 is not certified for gigabit. While in the real world..when using good quality new CAT5 cables for short lengths..yes you can manage to squeeze gigabit out of them, depending on your mixture of NICs and switches, quite possibly having lots of repeats due to errors. It's still better to go with 5e or 6 if you can..to be the most problem free.

Back