Why So Paranoid Zuckerberg?

HardOCP News

[H] News
For some reason people have repeatedly sent me links to this Facebook post today showing Mark Zuckerberg celebrating the fact that 500 million people now use Instagram every month. Apparently what caught everyone's attention is the fact that Zuck's laptop has tape over the webcam and microphone in the picture. Hmmmm, that's odd that he doesn't like being spied on. ;)

Considering there are probably a hefty number of dedicated teams actively trying to get into his stuff 24/7 he is probably smart enough to know that one of those teams will succeed eventually succeed. Meaning he is probably pretty paranoid about what he does put on to a computer and how he uses them now.

I do the same thing. I know there is software out there than can turn these cam/mic on without the recording light from coming on. BIOS settings can be changed too. When not in use, cover them up.

Nothing fishy about it.

Then why on earth does he insist on using a laptop with built in webcam and mic? Even I, being the filthy business person that I am, know that I should stick with a PC rig with absolutely no camera and no mic whatsoever to get around that problem.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Then why on earth does he insist on using a laptop with built in webcam and mic? Even I, being the filthy business person that I am, know that I should stick with a PC rig with absolutely no camera and no mic whatsoever to get around that problem.

For me it's because my work laptop was provided by my company. Otherwise I only use my desktop. No built in mic/recorder.

If that question is for Zuck it's probably becasue it's an Apply laptop in which case there's no other option

Also, Zuckerberg may not be the traditional image, but he is part of the rich and powerful. He has to be careful about what he says and who he says it around. The things that he says or actions he does probably are thought out and calculated. It is not surprising in the least.

Not a big deal, he's got people taking pics of him, a mic and camera in his and every other smartphone in use at Facebook HQ, and so on.

Always makes me wonder why anyone gives a single fuck about this person, it really does.

rofl.
Shows the minimum you need to do if you use arse book.

Not a big deal, he's got people taking pics of him, a mic and camera in his and every other smartphone in use at Facebook HQ, and so on.

Always makes me wonder why anyone gives a single fuck about this person, it really does.

Because Facebook share can tank with just one line out of his mouth, which is something we all know.

Consistent behaviour for someone that bought 4 of his neighbor's houses so he could tear them down to prevent the neighbors from seeing into his bedroom. Hypocritical in that his company's business model is spying on everyone else and selling the data to anyone willing to pay the price.

Consistent behaviour for someone that bought 4 of his neighbor's houses so he could tear them down to prevent the neighbors from seeing into his bedroom. Hypocritical in that his company's business model is spying on everyone else and selling the data to anyone willing to pay the price.

Successful drug dealers don't use the drugs. Know your customer, don't be one....unless your this guy.

"Remember, I'm not only the Hair Club President, but I'm also a client."

I do the same thing too. Your Facetime auto connects by default I think. It used to be easy to turn off, but after every update the settings went back. I just covered them up.

Also, Zuckerberg may not be the traditional image, but he is part of the rich and powerful. He has to be careful about what he says and who he says it around. The things that he says or actions he does probably are thought out and calculated. It is not surprising in the least.

His rights to privacy are not above anyone else's. Rich and powerful should not grant you more rights in a "free" country. Yet, it does. Zuckerberg is getting the same feelings as the rest of us - someone could be listening or watching. It sucks thinking that, but it's something people have to be paranoid about.

Meh. Tape over webcams/mics is SOP in most corporate offices. It's not there out of paranoia, but to show other people you're not using your machine to covertly record office conversations. Some corporate offices go as far as to issue laptops with the webcam removed (even drilled out) before they are handed to employees.

Yet his phone is probably just out of frame with no tape at all on it. :rolleyes:

I see this little cocksuckers face and I just can't get past the fact that he is one of the douchiest douche bags to ever exist.

Back