Why so excited for the iPhone X ? It's the same old thing running boring iOS

Curious if anyone here pre-ordered an iPhone X. I'd been tempted, but I have an iPhone 7 that's still serving me well. That and I suspect next year's iPhones will both refine the X formula and bring it down to a more affordable price point. With that said: if an iPhone X dropped in my lap, I'd probably be ecstatic.

Curious if anyone here pre-ordered an iPhone X. I'd been tempted, but I have an iPhone 7 that's still serving me well. That and I suspect next year's iPhones will both refine the X formula and bring it down to a more affordable price point. With that said: if an iPhone X dropped in my lap, I'd probably be ecstatic.

Yes, can’t wait to get it this upcoming Friday. The iPhone 7 you have is still an amazing phone but expect the X to blow it out of the water.

Too much apple hate on this forum, dumbasses really. They make amazing phones with amazing build quality, reliable as hell and keep great resale value.

Sold my iPhone 6S plus 64GB for $300 AND an iPhone 5S ( to hold me over which is working flawlessly on iOS 11 still )

And sold the wife’s old 6S 16gb for $270

Name 1 android phone you’ll resell for that much easily 2+ years later

I pre-ordered a space gray and a silver 256GB. Will compare it with my Pixel 2 XL and decide which one I'll stick with or make the second one my work device.
Sold my iPhone 6S plus 64GB for $300
You let that go cheap...I sold a 2 year old iPhone 6S 64GB (not the plus) recently for $325.

Right now I'm debating whether or not to leave Jump On Demand. If I buy my 128GB iPhone 7 Plus from TMo for $220, I would get a $300 trade in credit from T-Mobile over the next two year period. So $80 in two years or $80 now? And unfortunately, I HAVE to get the 256 GB version, cause my current iPhone 7 has used up 90GB. And I would imagine that I will using more of it as I use my phone+beastgrip more for videography.

I didn't stay up or get up early but happened to check AT&T just before 8:00 AM EST Friday morning and they still were quoting a November 3 delivery date. So put in my pre-order for a 64gb Silver. Already received 2 emails since then from AT&T so I'll see when I actually get a ship date.

I've been using a 7+ since I gave my son my OnePlus 5. OnePlus 5 is a great phone just could not take the camera and connection issues as I also use my primary phone for work. 5T looks like it may be something to watch for as well.

Before that I was a longtime Android fan/user but over the past few years have been more of an iPhone user (6s+, 7+) but still have used Android phones as I am an early supporter of OnePlus and have bought and owned every OnePlus phone since my original One.

Nexus/Pixel phone as well as I have bought every Nexus/Pixel since the Nexus 4 except for this year's Pixel2/XL.

Lots of other Android phones in between and really enjoyed most all of them but got tired of rooting and flashing custom ROM's as after working all week I just want to use my phone and iPhone seems to do that best for me.

The Pixel XL was the first Android phone I found no reason to root as it just worked.

Pixel 2 XL does look like an awesome phone and I would imagine I'll get one some time but for now iPhone gives me the best experience for what I require for both the office and home.

Right now I'm debating whether or not to leave Jump On Demand. If I buy my 128GB iPhone 7 Plus from TMo for $220, I would get a $300 trade in credit from T-Mobile over the next two year period. So $80 in two years or $80 now? And unfortunately, I HAVE to get the 256 GB version, cause my current iPhone 7 has used up 90GB. And I would imagine that I will using more of it as I use my phone+beastgrip more for videography.
I dumped my Jump several months ago. It's a great perk, but I'd rather just buy my phone on one of my cards and pay it off in a couple months instead of over 2 years. I'm still with T-Mobile, though. Best carrier, IMO.

My X is "in the pipeline" according to T-Mo. Ship dates are 11/3 - 11/10. I'll believe it when I get the UPS shipping notice.

I also plan to get the OP 5T or HTC U11 Plus. I like Android too much to leave it entirely for iOS.

I dumped my Jump several months ago. It's a great perk, but I'd rather just buy my phone on one of my cards and pay it off in a couple months instead of over 2 years. I'm still with T-Mobile, though. Best carrier, IMO.

My X is "in the pipeline" according to T-Mo. Ship dates are 11/3 - 11/10. I'll believe it when I get the UPS shipping notice.

I also plan to get the OP 5T or HTC U11 Plus. I like Android too much to leave it entirely for iOS.

My plan as well but iPhone X and OnePlus 5T when it's available.

Yeah I think the iPhone X and the OnePlus 5T truly are the best of both worlds. Not a bad idea, I may do the same.

Yeah I think the iPhone X and the OnePlus 5T truly are the best of both worlds. Not a bad idea, I may do the same.

And the OP....

I am totally confused the major hype for the new iPhone X, I just don't get it. It's nothing new at all to really be excited about. And I am super smartphone nerd, total gadget geek.

Because it's running the same old boring iOS, sure the iPhone 8 will be all new tech, catching up to the looks and bezel less display Android phones have had for a year already. But at the end of the day, the fancy new phone wears off quickly, and your left with the OS you use day in, and day out 24/7, and iOS 11 is just like lame boring, locked down iOS 10, which was just like old iOS 9, which was like lame iOS 8, and the Fischer Price toy iOS 7 which started it all.

Who gives two fucks about the new design of the iPhone X, when it's running the same iOS still from iOS 7 basically ? I'd be way more excited and pumped if the new phone was just the iPhone 8 Plus, but with a totally revamped major revision to iOS. That would be breaking news and truly jaw dropping. But right now, this X is basically a Galaxy S8 running iOS. Yawn :( Once the shiny new toy feeling wears off, it will feel just like the iPhone 7, and iPhone 6S, and iPhone 6, etc...Nothing new at all really here.

To be honest, I fail to see the big excitement for the iPhone X, What's the big deal here ? My point being the OS in it, is the same thing we've seen for years, nothing new here, just old iOS, nothing new. Sure the phone itself is better FINALLY, but that's it.

Thing is I LOVE the iPhone, a Jailbreaked 7 Plus is the best smartphone IMO right now. But only JB iPhone's do it for me, otherwise Nexus / Pixel all the way.

And other posts...

The iPhone has been the Fisher Price phone for the Grandmas and teens for years now. Just shocked with the brand new groundbreaking iPhone X, that Apple didn't choose this time, to finally update and revise the stale looking "My Little Pony" iOS theme they've been rocking since iOS 7.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. If you like the Disney style that is iOS, that's cool. I don't, and with the X it would have been the perfect time to revise it,

:rolleyes::banghead:

Wait, well why bother right?

Ok let's all bash on Z for my random smartphone thoughts :(

I prefer stock Android #1. But I get bored with it, and iOS is something different to play with. But never get so bored I'd want a Lagwiz device from Samesuck I mean Scamdung.

Last edited:

I prefer stock Android #1. But I get bored with it, and iOS is something different to play with. But never get so bored I'd want a Lagwiz device from Samesuck I mean Scamdung.

I think we just like how you'll dart between phones and platforms like they're going out of style. Most of us are loyal to one platform and consider a once-a-year upgrade to be a big deal; for you, you're not so much buying a phone as renting it for a few months until the curiosity about another device becomes overwhelming. It'll be a strange day when you look at a new flagship phone and say "nah, I'm good until next year."

Personally, I think you bring it on yourself. If you had any level in consistency in what you want, you wouldn't end up in this position.
If you didn't say one thing and then immediately do the other. If you didn't bash an entire platform for months and then buy it.

Personally, I think you bring it on yourself. If you had any level in consistency in what you want, you wouldn't end up in this position.
If you didn't say one thing and then immediately do the other. If you didn't bash an entire platform for months and then buy it.

I for one love the inconsistency. He brings a lot of good points up and considers iOS and Android phones on their merit and based on his individual use and needs from each platform.

I wonder if the day will ever come when he declares he has found "it".

I for one love the inconsistency. He brings a lot of good points up and considers iOS and Android phones on their merit and based on his individual use and needs from each platform.

I wonder if the day will ever come when he declares he has found "it".

There is a difference I think between vascilating and comparing points versus slamming and derision of choices and platforms. It would be one thing if he constantly was interested in different features in different platforms and wanted different things within that.
But instead we just hear a lot of hate about how things are garbage until he falls in love with them, and then it’s fine. Until it’s garbage again.

===

In any case to get back on topic, it will be really interesting to see what the X brings to the table. Despite a lot of the “same old story” or “ copied it from android” rhetoric, the X is definitely going to be a unique platform that isn’t duplicated anywhere else. And by that, before all the haters chime in, I mean that that series of features in that type of package doesn’t exist anywhere else.

Which really is what cellphone buying for the most part is about. Finding the set of things you want in a phone or platform and then buying it.

I’m most interested in seeing what will happen next year. Will they axe fingerprint scanners forever, or will they bring it back underneath the screen? Will the notch go away once they can place the cameras and sensors under the screen? Will they decide to make other or better UX changes to minimize the view on the notch.

The X changed the direction of the iPhone most significantly in terms of design over the past 4 years. It’s more or less expected that it will be iterative for at least a few more. So with those iterations, what will the changes be?

Last edited:
The X changed the direction of the iPhone most significantly in terms of design over the past 4 years. It’s more or less expected that it will be iterative for at least a few more. So with those iterations, what will the changes be?

I think we're likely to see something along the lines of an iPhone Xs and Xs Plus next year. Minor clock and memory bumps, but nothing major changing. The only thing that would change that is if FaceID totally bombs, imo.

I’m most interested in seeing what will happen next year. Will they axe fingerprint scanners forever, or will they bring it back underneath the screen? Will the notch go away once they can place the cameras and sensors under the screen? Will they decide to make other or better UX changes to minimize the view on the notch.

My guess: if Face ID does well, there won't be a rush to slip fingerprint readers under the display. And I think the big deal will be making the new design more accessible: instead of paying $1K for a 5.8-inch phone, you'll pay closer to $700 (hopefully without major sacrifices). There's talk of a larger 6.5-inch version, and I think that'll be the $1K model that everyone wants (seriously, that's bigger than the Note 8). Beyond that, it's really hard to say. It depends on Apple improving the economies of scale for its OLED screens and TrueDepth cameras; it depends on whether Apple needs to cut features to hit the magic $700 mark (say, by moving back to a single rear camera for the 5.8-incher) or if it can actually pile things on.

My theory is this: if the screen on the X was easier to produce they would of axed the 8 altogether and we would of had just the X, but Apple needed to fill demand with the 8.

Instead they moved demand away from the 8 and everyone wanted the X. Now they are stuck with a device that has a subpar image with their customers. I imagine we will get the 8 at very low prices soon once the X fills initial demand. I don’t see it as being a unicorn product, only being available for a short time.

My theory is this: if the screen on the X was easier to produce they would of axed the 8 altogether and we would of had just the X, but Apple needed to fill demand with the 8.

Possibly, but no one can make them cheaply. We are entering the world of the ultra-premium cellphone. Apple isn't the only maker of a near $1k phone. Samsung and Google have joined those ranks. So if they couldn't figure out how to do it for less either (which would have been a massive advantage, to cost undercut a competitor) than I doubt it would've been possible for Apple. OLED is just expensive for everyone.

Instead they moved demand away from the 8 and everyone wanted the X. Now they are stuck with a device that has a subpar image with their customers. I imagine we will get the 8 at very low prices soon once the X fills initial demand. I don’t see it as being a unicorn product, only being available for a short time.

I agree that the X design isn't going anywhere and Apple has in fact said themselves that that is where the iPhone is headed, but the current cost of making it warranted another pricing tier. As for the 8, it is entirely unlikely that it will be discounted soon. Because that destroys their brand and their pricing tiers. The 8 fills in the space where the last high-end series was, obviously the 7. The X occupies a space further above that.

Just look at any carrier pricing website. Here is T-mobiles as an example: https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/apple?icid=WMM_TM_HMPGRDSGNA_P7QGF8N5L3B5877&sort=prr
Basically Apple can sell you a phone from $350 (iPhone SE) all the way up to $999 (X) in $100 increments (+/- when choosing flash memory options). If they lower the price of one, it would affect all their other tiers. They won't do it. They'd rather eat the lackluster sales for a year. It's not like they're hurting for cash.

There is a difference I think between vascilating and comparing points versus slamming and derision of choices and platforms. It would be one thing if he constantly was interested in different features in different platforms and wanted different things within that.
But instead we just hear a lot of hate about how things are garbage until he falls in love with them, and then it’s fine. Until it’s garbage again.

===

In any case to get back on topic, it will be really interesting to see what the X brings to the table. Despite a lot of the “same old story” or “ copied it from android” rhetoric, the X is definitely going to be a unique platform that isn’t duplicated anywhere else. And by that, before all the haters chime in, I mean that that series of features in that type of package doesn’t exist anywhere else.

Which really is what cellphone buying for the most part is about. Finding the set of things you want in a phone or platform and then buying it.

My only issue with my 7+ is the physical size. It's bigger than it needs to be because Apple was lazy but knows they can sell it just because it is the bigger phone with better camera and battery.

I would have preferred the 7 as the Nexus 5 was my favorite phone size but all the good stuff gets put in the bigger phones so I got used to using a larger phone and Android phones followed suit with larger phones as they knew they could charge more.

Last year's Pixel got the size right but had big bezels that rivaled the iPhone so I used the 7+ as my daily.

The X definitely has some compromises. Notch, Face ID, etc. But the physical size is what I am looking for as it provides a similar screen size as the Plus but in a smaller physical body.

Nexus 5
137.84 x 69.17 x 8.59 mm (5.43 X 2.72 x 0.34)

iPhone X
143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm (5.65 x 2.79 x 0.30 in)

My order has moved to "Preparing to Ship" so I'm hoping it gets here by 11/3.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why Apple didn't tweak the 4 year old design of the iPhone 6, 6S, 7, and now 8 ? Couldn't they have tweaked it a bit ? Cut the bezels down a little bit like 1/3rd less, made the iPhone 8 Plus a 5.7" screen in the same overall footprint, and the iPhone 8 like a 5" screen in same overall size.

I still don't understand why Apple didn't tweak the 4 year old design of the iPhone 6, 6S, 7, and now 8 ? Couldn't they have tweaked it a bit ? Cut the bezels down a little bit like 1/3rd less, made the iPhone 8 Plus a 5.7" screen in the same overall footprint, and the iPhone 8 like a 5" screen in same overall size.
I think all that tweaking would have negatively affected interest in the X. I certainly would have chosen your version of the 8 Plus over the X.

My only issue with my 7+ is the physical size. It's bigger than it needs to be because Apple was lazy but knows they can sell it just because it is the bigger phone with better camera and battery.

Personally I think it was an issue with two things:

1.) The more obvious: development time. Apple had to create two phones this year. And their goal generally speaking is to have the slickest, smoothest experience with no hiccups (not saying they get that perfectly every time, but they do a pretty good job at generally delivering a flawless experience). There is only 1 iPhone team. Using what was already built and modifying an already proven platform was just more realistic than making a second entirely different phone. Time affects things a lot.

2.) The less obvious one, which isn't laziness, is brand iconography. Since the beginning of iPhone in 2007, Apple has maintained 2 design features with iPhone, which are the bezels at the top and bottom of the phone, and the home button. They have used their design iconography to immediately make their product recognizable. While this may not matter at all to the 'tech elite' in this forum, they want other people out in the world to know that what someone else is holding is an iPhone. Constantly changing the design makes that incredibly difficult to do. Out in the world, it's hard to tell if someone is holding a Samsung vs an HTC vs a Pixel. Especially with cases, screen protectors and the like. Especially WITHOUT holding the other persons phone. But iPhone is always immediately recognizable.

This is one of the reasons why the X is such a landmark design change for Apple, since they are changing their iconography for the first time in 10 years. My understanding is that the notch (which may be reviled by some) is the new iconography that is designed to replace the bezels and home button, that will easily identify iPhone as iPhone. As the notch, much like the bezels and home button, will be product specific to iPhone.

And I guess 3.) Cannibalization (which Commander Shepard brought up). Although I don't think this is really an issue for Apple believe it or not. As they don't care if they cannibalize their own sales as long as they got the sale over their competitor (which is one area that they are much smarter than a lot of other companies in that are too afraid to design products that will cannibalize their own sales). This is at most a distant third, and I doubt Apple was too concerned about it. Hence why both iPhone's have the same processor and flash options etc. Really it's the form factor and FaceID, OLED, and a few features like that that are different from one another.

Last edited:
The iPhone X was supposed to come out last year, but it got delayed for various issues. So they had to stick with the HTC One iPhone 6 design for a third year. And this year's iPhone 8 is probably just there to be the "cheap" iPhone...

Picked up a couple of X cases. Both are Spigen. Left one feels a bit thicker, more protective.

6rY2Kh7.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CMWM9H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CNF6YW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For reference, compared to Pixel 2 XL case.

yAlGxiv.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Picked up a couple of X cases. Both are Spigen. Left one feels a bit thicker, more protective.

6rY2Kh7.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CMWM9H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CNF6YW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For reference, compared to Pixel 2 XL case.

yAlGxiv.jpg

Wow the footprint of the iPhone X looks quite a bit smaller than the Pixel 2 XL...can you put on of the iPhone X cases on top of the Pixel 2 XL case for reference? I have my iPhone X lined up for Friday, but my 15th day for a return on my Pixel 2 XL is on November 1st. The much smaller size of the iPhone X worries me that it may be a deal breaker (I have big hands). I think I might end up returning my Pixel 2 XL, trying out the iPhone X and then deciding then if I want to go back or not.

I got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid in today. My wife has one for her 7+, and it has been a good case for her. I'm pretty excited for the X's size now that I have a case in hand. Large screen in a small footprint is what I've wanted for years now.

I also preordered one of these Mous cases (https://www.mous.co/cases/iphone/x/) in carbon fiber. I don't know if I believe their 45' drop claims, but the videos are pretty darn compelling. I wanted a clear case, but these are darn nice looking regardless.

I got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid in today. My wife has one for her 7+, and it has been a good case for her. I'm pretty excited for the X's size now that I have a case in hand. Large screen in a small footprint is what I've wanted for years now.

I also preordered one of these Mous cases (https://www.mous.co/cases/iphone/x/) in carbon fiber. I don't know if I believe their 45' drop claims, but the videos are pretty darn compelling. I wanted a clear case, but these are darn nice looking regardless.

Nice! Never heard of that Mous company but they sure do look like quality pieces.

Looks like a nice case, indeed. The all-glass design of the X has me a bit concerned about its sturdiness. If I keep my X, I'll look for a tougher case like that Mous or this Ottebox:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z7SP7R6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice! Never heard of that Mous company but they sure do look like quality pieces.

Looks like a nice case, indeed. The all-glass design of the X has me a bit concerned about its sturdiness. If I keep my X, I'll look for a tougher case like that Mous or this Ottebox:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z7SP7R6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had never heard of them until someone mentioned them in a Reddit thread. I like that they appear to offer top end protection without having to make your phone look like a tank. They also claim to use real materials (ie real wood, bamboo, carbon fiber, etc), so they should look/feel very premium. Like I said, I wanted a clear case (hence the Spigen I bought), but I'll sacrifice that if the Mous really protects the way it does in the videos.

I had never heard of them until someone mentioned them in a Reddit thread. I like that they appear to offer top end protection without having to make your phone look like a tank. They also claim to use real materials (ie real wood, bamboo, carbon fiber, etc), so they should look/feel very premium. Like I said, I wanted a clear case (hence the Spigen I bought), but I'll sacrifice that if the Mous really protects the way it does in the videos.

To me those Mous cases look cheaply made and you can expect that wafer thin plank of wood to warp out in a few months.

To me those Mous cases look cheaply made and you can expect that wafer thin plank of wood to warp out in a few months.

Reviews all say they are pretty nice from what I have seen. That said, I ordered the carbon fiber one, so I don't have any reason to worry about warping or anything.

In the drop video they show, he mentions that the marble is reinforced. So I'd imagine that all of the materials are likely reinforced to prevent chipping, breaking, or otherwise warping.

Money or more specifically profit. They have a phone available from $350 with the SE all the way to $1000 with the X and a phone at each price point in between.

I went with a Totallee Thin Leather. I've used one on my 7+ for a while now and it is almost like a skin but with more grip due to the leather skin on the back.

https://www.totalleecase.com/products/thin-leather-iphone-x-case

The case is ultra thin like the Caudabe Veil, Peel or Totallee's own thin case.

Absolutely no protection from a drop over a couple of feet but also does not take away from the phones design.

I made something similar a while back from a Peel case with a Slickwraps Natural Series Leather skin but the Totallee version is much cleaner than what I put together.

Protects from scratches and thats about it but I'll have AC+ so I can live with it and use the phone more or less as designed.

If I we're going with another case it would be the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Crystal Clear as that provides some level of drop protection without too much extra bulk.

Apparently it wasn't the screen that really screwed the production but the camera. I understand its quite technical, but if it was the screen that was causing the issues I'd say screw it and go with the same high end LCD they have always used. But the camera? well that makes sense, as its the primary direction they are taking the phone from now on.

I really don't care. So why am I posting? It's because I think it's an amazing thing that people get so locked into a company, and are so happy to shell out more money, year after year. The biggest reason is, of course, the status thing.

Back