Why so excited for the iPhone X ? It's the same old thing running boring iOS

I know some will see this as hyperbole, but it really does cut to the core of a major issue. When debating hardware design, specifically the transition from plastic/utilitarian to unibody/aesthetics-first across the Android market, Apple fans are likely to argue "hey, it turns out that's just what the average consumer wants, more bling!" While there may be some truth, I'd argue the media/blogs played a major role. Whether you call it marketing, advertising, or whatever else, Apple lives by a different set of rules than the rest of the world, in the eyes of the media. When they make a fundamental design choice, it's the de facto standard by which everyone else has to live, lest they receive poor reviews. And reviews play an important role in driving the success of tech products. Even if Joe Sixpack doesn't read The Verge himself, the ripple effects from those kind of outlets trashing Android hardware circa 2012 for being "non-premium" (read: ewww, this looks like a poor person's phone, everyone I saw this morning walking around Manhattan had a shiny fruit logo on theirs!) are likely quite significant.

It's possible to recognize that Apple has real advantages to their ecosystem and even their OS while also acknowledging that for many, especially what might loosely be called the "coastal elite" in the U.S., it's also a status symbol and ticket into a cultural phenomenon with a significant irrational component. Most of the tech nerds in this thread defending Apple likely enjoy their products for rational reasons, but I doubt they can deny that this phenomenon is real, and the way it influences the broader tech market is annoying as shit. For people like the ones in this thread lamenting how the Note series has changed radically over the past several iterations, it's not hard to see how this played into it.

I feel like you can't have it both ways. You can't say that the Android market can carte blanche blame Apple for the things you dislike coming to Android while simultaneously ignoring all the things coming from Apple that you do like.

I originally wanted to make a smarmy post like: "you heard it here first guys, Android apologists finally admit that Android just takes everything from Apple!", which I could use as being just as bias as your statement is.

The truth is much closer to the middle. Samsung as an example definitely makes their own moves. Yes, they copied some of Apple's designs in the past (who cares, I'm not saying that I do), but at the same time they have been doing their own practices to take over the market in a way that none of their competitors have. Like trying to design their own Android market and forcing their customers to use that instead of Googles. Of course Google closed that loop and that was kind of a marking point in which Google realized that there had to be some standards in Android. And that their 'greatest strength' was also their 'greatest weakness', and that 'the goodness of people' or in this case corporations couldn't be depended upon. Anyway, that's all a side note. The point is Samsung has in more than a few ways gone and done their own things, as they are their own company. You can't say that everything good comes from them while everything bad comes from Apple (or any other Android versus Apple comparison).

If you wanted some hardware specific examples as opposed to their software ones: the idea of "Edge" screens which now they have as standard on flagship phones is a really obvious one. One that Apple has zero to do with. Using a stylus, which Apple says "no" to with the exception of the iPad Pro. Etc. I'm sure you can fill in the rest with tons of other examples. As we both know they're there.

===

Has Apple influenced the market? Yes, the same way that any market leader in any industry does. Is the market leader just capable of making every other company in the market dance? Frankly, I don't really think so (for a multitude of business reasons). Apple may have opened the door for other manufacturers to do some of the same things, but only because those companies also already wanted to do them. (Google with the Pixel II and Andy Rubin with the Essential Phone removed the headphone jack for their own reasons. If they really wanted to stick it to Apple, they would have kept the headphone jack and touted it as an advantage that Apple doesn't have. And there is no way that you can convince me that Google themselves just tries to do everything that Apple does from a hardware perspective, the Essential phone maybe, but not Google).

And to just sort of talk about your other point, I haven't really heard anyone say anything about wanting Apple-like design decisions for Android (whether they're an Android user or not). I think simply a certain level of polish in a phone is desired. I don't think its been the aesthetic as much as the build quality in general.

When HTC came out with the M7, it blew the minds of the cellphone market. And it didn't look like an Apple device. So to reiterate, I think people just want to have a quality device in fit, finish, and polish. Which is far from saying that it must have an Apple aesthetic (however you define that). "Bling", I would say is hyperbole.
Apple may be the single largest cellphone seller, but they are still the minority when looking at the entire market. Meaning more people are buying an Android device than an Apple one by large margin. No other single Android manufacturer sells as much as Apple does, that's true, but part of that is because of competition with the Android market itself. That's easily recognized here where people are having to decide between the V30, Pixel I/II, Note, S8, Essential Phone, and a host of other devices. The point being, if buying an Apple device in terms of aesthetic or "bling" as you call it was and or is a necessity, the market place certainly doesn't show it. Apple has been the minority for over 5 years now. So if hardware design is their sole influencer it isn't changing things enough to make them gain more than 15% of the cellphone market versus the other 85% that are buying mostly Android devices.

So, coastal, elite status, cool, or whatever has done little in the one area it matters: money/marketshare. Even if it has given Apple 'mindshare' it hasn't done much else. Call me back when Apple has at least 40% of the smartphone market.

Last edited:
On my Verizon iPhone 7 plus 256gb

11.0 was TERRIBLE for my battery. Normally I go to bed with about 30-40% depending on my usage during the day. On 11.0 Golden Master, I would get warnings about going into power saving mode at dinner time around 5:30pm. I did a hard reboot (volume down and the power button) and after that had no battery issues. Its within the margin of error but I would say battery life was a little better. I would end my day with 35-45%. Small bugs like the phone not recognizing screen rotation on the home screen. It would work fine in apps, just not the home screen for whatever reason. Messages in imessage get covered up by the keyboard. Its like the keyboard covered 1/3 of my screen instead of pushing the text area up. I could kind of scroll up to see the last message, but it would just rebound back behind the keyboard as soon as I let go.

11.0.1 More of the same good battery life. Screen rotation is better but still not as good as 10.3.3, imessage still screwed up.

11.0.2 Updating now.

My thoughts are that people who keep buying iPhone's and never Android phones (I'm a Galaxy S5 to S8 user), are mostly locked down due to how much they might have spent at the App store, which they would lose by switching to Android. The Galaxy S8 is an absolutely beautiful phone, and I'm not locked down by any apps I might lose by switching to iPhones. That said, if someone gave me an iPhone X for a gift, I wouldn't complain. I'd most likely sell it, though.

But now they've been scaling back ever since the Note 5, and it's biting them in the ass big time with the Note 8, in part because they started releasing upsized Galaxy S flagships that have the size, but not that one most notable feature. Cue YouTubers calling the Note 8 an overpriced S8+ with a pen, while somehow ignoring just how useful that pen is.

I can tell you that while I do have a Note 8, I never asked for fragile glass backs with sealed batteries, curved screen edges (which don't belong on a penabled phone) or the loss of the IR blaster. It's just what I moved to out of lack of alternative choices.

You know, this makes me think all the way back to when the first iPhone was released over a decade ago. No App Store. No multitasking. No cut/copy paste. NO MEMORY CARD SLOTS. NO REMOVABLE BATTERY. NO 3G. EXCLUSIVE TO AT&T FOR $600 ON CONTRACT.

I was a pretty avid Palm OS and Windows Mobile user at the time, and I quickly saw the iPhone's shortcomings in that it had a really good Web browser and nothing else going for it yet, insisting on Windows Mobile 6.5 and prior until Android matured. I do admit the Palm Pre was a bit tempting along the way, though; just remember that it did card multitasking and wireless charging way before Android devices did, let alone iOS! Nice slider keyboard, too... but webOS was not to be.

Yeah, I was very much an enthusiast; while I didn't have a smartphone per se, I remember impressing my classmates by connecting my Dell Axim X50v to a projector with a VGA cable and showing off a presentation that way. I even went to XDA-developers to get some custom ROMs for the X50v and the competing HP iPAQ hx4700, back when "XDA" was a carrier-specific rebranding of various HTC-made Windows Mobile devices; that site is older than a lot of people think.

I liked pen input, dammit, so I was none too fond of Steve Jobs' infamous "If you see a stylus, they blew it" comments and wanted to point to all my math notes to say "No, you idiot, it's the one thing I need!" Capacitive multi-touch was pretty nice, but not worth giving that up... well, until the Galaxy Note came along and boasted that with a Wacom EMR pen that blew the old resistive digitizer and plain passive stylus implementation out of the water. That was truly the PDA of a new age.

So, unsurprisingly, that's why I've largely stuck to the Galaxy Note line between the Note 4 and Note 8 (and it would've been a Note 2 if not for Sprint BOGO limitations at the time, so I ended up with an S3 instead for my first smartphone). I feel like they're the best of both worlds, particularly the Note 4.

How is it biting them in the ass when they have sold the most note 8s out of any NOTE line from release? Seems to me it was a hit.

Yet for most people, the pen on the Note series is mostly gimmick. People hardly use it. Sure, some people like you do. But most people just kept it inside the phone. (I believe we had a topic on that a few years ago.) People mostly bought the Note because it's got a bigger display and bigger battery. So between Samsung's Galaxy S8+ and Note 8, where the Note 8 is only slightly bigger, with 2GB more RAM, but lesser battery, there's really not much point for people to purchase it over an S8+. When you can find two GS8+ for over a hundred less than one Note 8, is 2GB of RAM worth that much?

But I do love your talking of past nearly forgotten XDA history. Thanks!
Well, I do wonder if they just legitimately find it useless, or don't know how to use it. Even tech reviewers who get paid to talk about smartphones don't know the full range of S Pen functionality half the time, nor do they know of non-Samsung software that makes very good use of it (OneNote, Clover Paint and Xodo Docs, to name a few). I could even make a drinking game out of how many YouTube reviewers overlook the subtle but significant upgrade that the Note 8's translation feature has: you can now translate entire paragraphs of text at a time instead of single words, all just by clicking an icon.

Yet the typical person is still likely to use pen and paper at some point alongside their smartphones - moments I see as an opportunity to go paperless somehow. My mother still uses a big paper planner for appointments, for instance. It'd be easier if good pen input wasn't something that was just limited to the Galaxy Note lineup amongst smartphones.

As for XDA history, yeah, those were good times, managing to push Windows Mobile 6/6.1/6.5 on devices that originally shipped with WM 2003 SE (the version immediately before WM5). It wasn't long before the meager 64 MB of RAM on the devices I used hit a wall, though, and I wasn't willing to pay hundreds for the 128 MB RAM upgrade this one vendor was offering.

How is it biting them in the ass when they have sold the most note 8s out of any NOTE line from release? Seems to me it was a hit.
See above. Enthusiasts who don't see the value in the pen just go "get the S8+!", and I can't even look at a YouTube video about the Note 8 without that damn Unbox Therapy vid coming up in the sidebar, never mind that he praised the hell out of it before getting to why he says not to buy it. I really feel like the more accurate title would be "DON'T Buy The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 At Full Price", rather than at all, because that's actually the common sentiment they have - all generally because the S8+ is a thing that exists, unlike the days of the S5/Note 4 and prior where Samsung didn't produce larger-screened, pen-less S-series flagships.

Now consider that enthusiasts like us forum folks tend to be the ones recommending phones to average people, and you see where this is going. We don't know for sure that the pre-order high is gonna keep going over the next few months until we watch it all play out.

Record-breaking pre-orders are hardly a surprise after the pent-up demand from the Note 7 backfiring so hard, though, and particularly over in Europe where Samsung weirdly decided that market didn't need the Note 5, so they haven't really had a new Note since the Note 4. About damn time, I'd say, because while I still do miss having removable batteries, the IR blaster, and a flat screen without rounded corners (all things I will continue to gripe about until I get them back, unlikely as it is), the Note 8 is actually a surprisingly good upgrade in my experience - and to think I wouldn't have bought it if the Note 4 wasn't from that Samsung era of a bazillion carrier-specific variants with locked-out bands!

I'm just glad the line's around to stay, since nobody else is offering any active penabled smartphone options and Samsung was getting grilled hard over the Note 7 recalls. Remember all those "they should retire the Galaxy Note brand" articles the tech journalists kept pumping out after that?

My thoughts are that people who keep buying iPhone's and never Android phones (I'm a Galaxy S5 to S8 user), are mostly locked down due to how much they might have spent at the App store, which they would lose by switching to Android. The Galaxy S8 is an absolutely beautiful phone, and I'm not locked down by any apps I might lose by switching to iPhones. That said, if someone gave me an iPhone X for a gift, I wouldn't complain. I'd most likely sell it, though.

More like locked down to a few features. For me its photo sharing and imessage.

Photo Sharing - I have about 2 dozen family and friends who are in various shared pictures groups. Its replaced facebook for me for sharing photos and them sharing photos with me and my wife. I'm sure there is a google version of it, but it would be stupid for me to buy android phone and try and get every single family and friend to switch to that new app (if its even available cross platform) just because I switched. It would be a major feature of the phone that I would more than likely just have to do without, and I don't want to do without it.

iMessage - Google needs to pull their head out of their ass and make a real competitor for iMessage. It needs to be integrated into Android and be THE standard app for all messaging. It needs to come on every android phone, and it needs to be the ONLY messaging app that comes with stock android. It needs to be an all in one stop for messaging where you can send messages/pictures/video using data, and it needs to fall back to SMS if a good data connection isn't available. It needs a man-in-the-middle similar to iMessage that handles group messaging similar to iMessage. If they really want to one-up imessage, make the client available to users on Windows. Integrate it into Chrome if you have to. Hangouts came very close to this before they had the great idea of discontinuing it. I dont know if Google's android primary designers are just really out of touch with what people want, or if Google just thinks sms is fine, but there are a LOT of people who stick with iphone for this sole app, myself semi-included in that.

The only thing I found the pen useful for was swype, other wise I never used mine for much.

Short cuts was useless, it wouldn't register the click unless it was touching the screen

The drawing was good at first but then the draw lag was unbearable. The next "official" update made it almost 100% useless.

Drawing lag is something I've noted even on the Note 8 with its much faster SoC; I just wonder if Clover Paint and ArtRage are just too system-intensive for current ARM processors, particularly with larger brush sizes (which you're more likely to use due to sheer screen DPI).

Clover Paint doesn't have a Windows equivalent, but ArtRage does, and it'll hammer one of my i7-4770K's cores pretty good (at 4.6 GHz, I should emphasize) if I really get carried away in it. There's nothing with Paint Tool SAI levels of optimization in Android yet, I don't think.

More like locked down to a few features. For me its photo sharing and imessage.

Photo Sharing - I have about 2 dozen family and friends who are in various shared pictures groups. Its replaced facebook for me for sharing photos and them sharing photos with me and my wife. I'm sure there is a google version of it, but it would be stupid for me to buy android phone and try and get every single family and friend to switch to that new app (if its even available cross platform) just because I switched. It would be a major feature of the phone that I would more than likely just have to do without, and I don't want to do without it.

I know you said you wouldn't switch, but Google Photos is pretty much the widely accepted standard in photo management and sharing. It's definitely been nice for me and my family (some of which are on iOS as well) at least. I got most of them to switch over to it pretty easily just for one simple reason: unlimited photo backups for free. While the unlimited backups are not the original full size photos, they are still the same resolution high quality JPEGs, which we've all been happy with still so far.

But some other nice features besides the standard group sharing features are the ability to create a link to specific photos or albums to send to anyone to view even if they don't use Photos, automatic cleaning up local phone storage of media that's backed up, easy searching of any person, place, or thing without scrolling, and the nifty colleges/short films generated by the built in assistant.

Last edited:
I dunno if this is the best place to put it, but here's why Pixel and iPhone are the only phones you should get. When you don't get bug fixes in a timely fashion, shit like this happens.

http://bgr.com/2017/10/06/galaxy-s8-text-messages-lost-text-issue/

I told my friends to text me via Line, WhatsApp, or FB Messenger.
I was all in on the V30 train for a while but after Google indicated they'd provide a minimum of three years of software updates for their phones then the Pixel 2 XL took priority. I've been spoiled with Apple's frequent and timely iOS updates (although iOS 11 has been a buggy mess for me...) that I feel that a Pixel is probably the best choice for me.

I dunno if this is the best place to put it, but here's why Pixel and iPhone are the only phones you should get. When you don't get bug fixes in a timely fashion, shit like this happens.

http://bgr.com/2017/10/06/galaxy-s8-text-messages-lost-text-issue/

I told my friends to text me via Line, WhatsApp, or FB Messenger.
But, but... this year's LagWiz is so much lighter and snappier than the last 8 iterations! Samsung's software has really arrived. OEM skins are awesome and bring so many value-added features amidst their ugly, unintuitive, arbitrary, for-the-sake-of-it UI changes. Ditto for the host of redundant, second-class apps like Messaging that a couple Samsung interns probably work on over the summer...for the sole purpose of making sure their customers are confused if they pick up a competitor's Android phone. Bug fix will probably arrive by Christmas for the AT&T sub-variant, or spring for the Verizon one... well, assuming they figure out how to refactor their TouchJiz codebase for the October 2017 security patch version of 7.0 instead of the version it shipped with.

Now we need to wonder about what the next iPhone flagship will be, because I'm pretty certain it's not going to be the iPhone XI and that's one reason why I refuse to call the damned thing the iPhone "10" in the first place. Apple once again decided to bank on "The X Factor" like they did years ago with the first release of OS X, and I for one have always called it "Oh-Ess Ecks" and I ain't gonna change now. :)

So, who thinks we'll see an iPhone X (and some codename here) like they've been doing with the desktop OS versions over the years? :D

Now we need to wonder about what the next iPhone flagship will be, because I'm pretty certain it's not going to be the iPhone XI and that's one reason why I refuse to call the damned thing the iPhone "10" in the first place. Apple once again decided to bank on "The X Factor" like they did years ago with the first release of OS X, and I for one have always called it "Oh-Ess Ecks" and I ain't gonna change now. :)

So, who thinks we'll see an iPhone X (and some codename here) like they've been doing with the desktop OS versions over the years? :D

They could do that. Personally I'd prefer iPhone X1, X2 or similar, but then Apple would have to explain why it's pronouncing "ecks." All I know is that you probably won't see Apple talk about an iPhone 13 thanks to society's triskaidekaphobia. Heck, there are rumors the iPhone 4 took a hit in Asia because of the number's similarity to the word "death" in multiple languages.

I'm going to call it now. Next year Apple will release the iPhone 9 and no successor to the X. The iPhone 9 will be basically an iPhone X but with a standard and plus model available. Then the following year the iPhone 11 will come out.

So essentially the iPhone X will be an iPhone 9, but you're getting it a year earlier.

But in all seriousness, next year's iPhone lineup is supposed to be;

- iPhone X type phone for the smaller version, but with the updated annual hardware + camera upgrades
- iPhone X Plus 6.4" screen, being no larger than the overall footprint of the current iPhone 8 Plus.

Now what they name these two ? Rumors are just iPhone 11 and 11 Plus

FYI, the iPhone X is the replacement for the smaller 4.7" sized iPhone. And there will be a X Plus next year with a 6.4" screen, being no bigger overall than the current iPhone 8 Plus sized phones.

Fall 2018 iPhone lineup, per all rumors and news I have read about the next gen iPhone's coming a year from now;

- 2018 iPhone X2 ( 5.8" screen ) replacing the iPhone ( 4.7" )

- 2018 iPhone X2 Plus ( 6.4" screen ) replacing the iPhone Plus ( 5.5" screen )

I doubt these will be named the X2, but I mean whatever next year's line up will be.

And also a rumor of a third 2018 iPhone, a 6" screen with LCD display, in case there's not enough OLED displays for the two main models.

The only thing I'd be excited about is trying to pre-order one to scalp on fleabay to net $300-500. Apple is sticking it to the East Coast people as a 3:01 AM pre-order time blows.

iOS 11.0.2 is no where near as buggy as 11 or 11.0.1 was. But my phone froze up three times yesterday, and probably just twice total not counting yesterday since it was released. Yesterday, my phone had a large number of apps updates. So I'm guessing whatever the internal code for 11.0.2 is not playing well with third party apps. On Reddit, theories are a plenty. But in any case, Apple should stop releasing shitty updates. And perhaps pull the updates and tell people to revert back to 10.3.3...

I've had a lot of random glitches but nothing with my phone restarting randomly like some have been reporting.

I just noticed I can’t get sound on for GPS, this for both google maps and imaps

This Aurelius vs Nizmoz debate has been more entertaining than anything from the Twilight or the 50 Shades series.

I'll take 50 Shades anytime rather than another iPhone/Android pissing match.

They both have their plusses and minuses. Both are getting more similar and you can do what you need with either. It's all about choices and if one or the other were to fall off the face of the earth then we would all be in trouble.

Battery fix coming soon!

So which specific beta gives that amazing battery life ? 11.1 ? 11.1 beta 4 ?

I need a new phone ASAP, my great Nexus 6P has seen better days, and battery life has always been #1 feature for me, as well as a bright display to see outdoors. My carrier has some pretty sweet deals for the 8 Plus right now, and I can get on Jump on Demand, as opposed to the Pixel 2 XL I need to fork out $950 for, which I am not interested in doing.

The battery fix was added in 11.1 beta 4, so it is also included in 11.1 beta 5. 11.1 official should be released in November, judging by Apple's current update cycle.

here's a video of beta 4 vs beta 5:

So which specific beta gives that amazing battery life ? 11.1 ? 11.1 beta 4 ?

I need a new phone ASAP, my great Nexus 6P has seen better days, and battery life has always been #1 feature for me, as well as a bright display to see outdoors. My carrier has some pretty sweet deals for the 8 Plus right now, and I can get on Jump on Demand, as opposed to the Pixel 2 XL I need to fork out $950 for, which I am not interested in doing.

Not sure what plan you're on, but if you're on the One plan, then T-Mo will give you $325 credit towards the Pixel to soften the blow a bit. I'm still on their old 6GB SC plan though and thought about calling and pleading with them to give me the credit still if I decide to pick up the Pixel 2 XL. But it's still not worth it at its current price to me even with the credit, so I'm gonna wait for BF to see if Best Buy or anyone else has any deals on them.

It highly annoyed me that they're still only selling this phone through Verizon again this year. But this is one of the reasons JOD doesn't appeal to me either; I don't care much for Samsung, LG, or Apple phones, which are about the only phones you can get through that program.

Off topic.

Entire reason I joined T-Mobile a few years ago, was because they were the only company to offer unlocked bootloaders on flagships phones like Samsung and LG, and HTC, etc...when ATT and others stopped doing that. But now all phones are locked down.

And if you want a AOSP pure Android type phone, T-Mobile doesn't sell any of these either. The Pixel 2 NOPE. Essential NOPE, OnePlus 5T of course not.

So that only leaves Apple's phone, which doesn't matter which carrier it's on, as there is no carrier bloatware or BS on the iPhone. The iPhone is sort of like Google's Pixel in that way, but you can get the iPhone anywhere easily.

Off topic.

Entire reason I joined T-Mobile a few years ago, was because they were the only company to offer unlocked bootloaders on flagships phones like Samsung and LG, and HTC, etc...when ATT and others stopped doing that. But now all phones are locked down.

And if you want a AOSP pure Android type phone, T-Mobile doesn't sell any of these either. The Pixel 2 NOPE. Essential NOPE, OnePlus 5T of course not.

So that only leaves Apple's phone, which doesn't matter which carrier it's on, as there is no carrier bloatware or BS on the iPhone. The iPhone is sort of like Google's Pixel in that way, but you can get the iPhone anywhere easily.

I think it would be more apt to say the the Google Pixel is like the iPhone in that regard.

I have kind of reserved myself to either an iPhone or Nexus/Pixel now as they are the only phones that actually get updated in a timely fashion.

With all the crap that is going on with data and security having at least the monthly security updates arriving monthly should be mandatory for Android vendors.

I ordered an iPhone 8 Plus today. My OP5 keeps fucking up incoming calls and nothing has worked (factory resets, root/ROM, etc.) to solve the problem for more than 24 hours. Not very happy about leaving Android, but I need a phone I can count on.

I ordered an iPhone 8 Plus today. My OP5 keeps fucking up incoming calls and nothing has worked (factory resets, root/ROM, etc.) to solve the problem for more than 24 hours. Not very happy about leaving Android, but I need a phone I can count on.

Look forward to your review.

If you're not happy about leaving Android, just want a phone that just works, and are going to drop $900+ on it, then why didn't you just get the Pixel 2 XL? I'm guessing because of carrier financing, but you can finance through Google as well. Just checked and the black 2 XL looks to actually be in stock too and shipping on the 29th.

I know there's been a lot of controversy about its display, and it's partially why I'm holding off on buying it right now. But I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with it still, just not for a $850+ device.

Edit: Looks like Google just upgraded their Pixel 2 phones to a 2 year warranty and addressed the display issues as well.

Last edited:
If you're not happy about leaving Android, just want a phone that just works, and are going to drop $900+ on it, then why didn't you just get the Pixel 2 XL? I'm guessing because of carrier financing, but you can finance through Google as well. Just checked and the black 2 XL looks to actually be in stock too and shipping on the 29th.

I know there's been a lot of controversy about its display, and it's partially why I'm holding off on buying it right now. But I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with it still, just not for a $850+ device.
I tried the Pixel 2 XL, but returned it because of the screen. Inexcusable for a $1000 dollar phone. Everything else about it was great, though.

I tried the Pixel 2 XL, but returned it because of the screen. Inexcusable for a $1000 dollar phone. Everything else about it was great, though.

Understandable, I probably would have too if I paid full price for it. But personally I would rather deal with that color shift than iOS still for the same money.

Back