Why so excited for the iPhone X ? It's the same old thing running boring iOS

I one of those who does not care about headphone jack as I stopped using it already 4 years ago by switching to BT headphones, speakers etc.

You had me with everything you said there until the "no headphone jack" part, which is mainly difficult to stomach because Apple only puts ONE Lightning port on their phones. Listen OR charge, not both... Same goes to the Android manufacturers who think only one USB-C port is enough, even if that port's not proprietary enough to reap licensing fees like Apple can get away with.

Also, one thing that I'm dearly hoping wouldn't carry over from the iPhone X is that unsightly unibrow. Alas, it makes it difficult to relocate the front-facing camera module and proximity sensor for shutting off the screen when you put it next to your face for a call if you don't have some kind of screen cutout and still insist on some kind of edge-to-edge screen, but it would honestly work out better if the corners flanking the "brow" were kinda like the LG V10/V20 second screen ticker in practice, not intruding on the main screen content. (This is something that both the iPhone X and the Essential PH-1 get horribly, horribly wrong as it is.)

Still, there is a considerable amount of extra screen that could be present on a 5S/SE if they just trimmed down those bezels and went even wider, all without compromising that compact phone handling.

It is a bit of a headache to go with one port, although personally I'm not affected -- I'm just thinking more about the relative gain compared to removing the jack on a larger phone. The iPhone SE is small enough that a headphone jack represents a lot of potential space to reclaim for a larger battery or more advanced sensors and haptics.

My question: if Apple wanted to do an iPhone X-style screen and implement Face ID, how would it do that on an SE-sized device when there isn't room for the "ears" that you get with the notch on the X? I'm guessing you'd end up with something closer to the conventional iOS layout, just with no home button.

As it stands, the more I read about the new iPhones, the more I think the X is the one to go for if you're in any way an enthusiast. The 8 is fine if you're just overdue for a new phone, but the X is, yes, exciting. It's Apple finally shaking things up a bit... and frankly, I'm just happy to see Apple go beyond a 5.5-inch screen while still keeping the device compact. And I'm the sort who could actually use a dual camera with OIS on both sensors.

:D

http://gizmodo.com/this-free-app-adds-an-iphone-x-notch-to-your-android-ph-1818540557

bca9kayxlewbu2igxvpj.jpg

Looks like Apple has indeed raised the bar for pricing at least.

Pixel 2 XL pricing expected at $849 for the 64gb and $949 for the 128gb model.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixel-2-xl-exclusive/

Think I'll be sitting out phones this year as my used 7+ from Swappa is just fine and I can always play with my old OnePlus One if I need an Android fix.

Maybe I'll pick something up from the used market in January but I can't see paying retail for any of these new phones as what they offer is a minimal upgrade at best.

Used iPhone 7/7+, OnePlus 5 or Pixel XL may be the best options currently as all have seen prices dropping in the used market and should drop further after the iPhone X and Pixel XL 2 hit the market.

I bought my Pixel (non XL) 128gb, 3 months ago used ($330). I feel I got a fantastic deal.. Google even sent me a replacement phone (transferred the ownership to me, and gave me full warranty) due to the faulty microphone mishap that plauged some models.

Can't see the need to upgrade at all to these newer models, honestly. Especially with the price-bar being set so high these days.

The update makes things look a bit cartoony, but I could probably get used to it over it. I think the UI makes more sense when there's no home button...

The update on the iPad is really strange. I thought Apple is against making tablet laptops. iPad now looks more like the MacOS X than ever in the app dock. And now with Split View and Slide Over, it looks like a MacOS Surface... Wish Apple would just shut up and make a convertible. Like make an iPad that serves as a display for a "compute base" that contains what's in typical laptops minus display.

The update makes things look a bit cartoony, but I could probably get used to it over it. I think the UI makes more sense when there's no home button...

The update on the iPad is really strange. I thought Apple is against making tablet laptops. iPad now looks more like the MacOS X than ever in the app dock. And now with Split View and Slide Over, it looks like a MacOS Surface... Wish Apple would just shut up and make a convertible. Like make an iPad that serves as a display for a "compute base" that contains what's in typical laptops minus display.

I see this as a kind of bridge, if not a stopgap. It's not making touchscreen Macs (not yet, at least), but now you can have some of the features you're used to on desktops.

iPhone X Production Faces Further Delays

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/20/iphone-x-production-further-delays/

He says production is set to start in mid-October, later than earlier predictions. With additional delays, full production ramp up will be delayed into the December quarter.

While our checks are ongoing, initial feedback from our meetings suggests that final production of iPhone X has not yet begun, with production expected to commence in mid-October. That production start is a month later when compared to expectations a month ago, and 2 months later than expectations earlier.

It could be months before Apple has adequate supply to meet demand for the $999 device. Reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, for example, has said it could take well into 2018 for Apple to fill orders.

Last edited:
I see this as a kind of bridge, if not a stopgap. It's not making touchscreen Macs (not yet, at least), but now you can have some of the features you're used to on desktops.
I feel like Apple is "wasting" all that glorious HDR 120Hz display by not allowing iPads to be used as a display for a computer. Heck, I wish that the "compute base" (that I previously wished for) had a HDMI or USB-C/HDMI input so I could plug in a Xbox One S/X to game on...

>production delays out of the blue
>does nothing but increase the buzz about the device
>makes the Cult of Mac members get funny feelings in their bellies
>the trembling and quaking is almost palpable

Apple Marketing, hard at work to maximize profit 24/7!!! :p

And the resellers... Imagine if the availability is truly limited what the prices will be on eBay and Swappa. $1k will feel like a bargain.

Some of this is functionality I would've expected from the very beginning on any half-decent OS (including basic UI concepts Apple pioneered themselves with the Lisa and Macintosh like drag-and-drop), and it goes a long way toward putting the "Pro" in "iPad Pro"... though not so much the smaller iPhones.

Also interesting to note is that they put much more emphasis on being able to annotate things like screenshots and documents, as well as making their Notes app boast the same handwriting searchability that Microsoft's OneNote has boasted for a decade and a half. Sounds very nice, but at the smartphone level, even the egregiously expensive iPhone X has no Pencil support to boast, which kinda kills the appeal a little when you know how much capacitive styluses suck compared to active pen digitizers (read: the very thing that sets apart the iPad Pro, the Galaxy Note, every non-RT Surface and most Windows Tablet PCs before the big touch-only trend).

Better late than never, at least, and it makes iOS in general that extra bit more viable without having to jailbreak the damn thing.

This is the dumbest way to go about "maximizing" profits. Apple maximizes profits by meeting demand, and has done an exceptional job of that.

I just want something different, and the X satisfies that need. I also want to stay in the Apple ecosystem, so switching to AndroidOS is a non-option. The X looks nice, and I frankly have no issues with iOS11. Do I want something more substantial for the next OS? Sure, but who the hell knows if we'll get that.

Apparently in some parts of the world the iPhone 8/8+ sales started today and they're lukewarm at best, seems people are holding out for the iPhone X to get something "new" instead of just a polished up 7/7+ more than anything else. Can't say I blame 'em to be honest, but considering the price differential to get something "new" in this case I still think the X is simply not worth the increase.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...one-8-sees-muted-launch-in-asia-idUSKCN1BX05Y

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...eues-muted-reaction-questions-demand-iphone-x

There's a good YouTube video I need to find again. But it compared the iPhone 8 Plus to the iPhone X, and actually the 8 Plus is the more powerful phone, with better battery life. Of course based on specs. He also pointed out how much in common both the 8 Plus and X have. These phones are damn near identical. Same A11 processor. Same 3GB RAM. Same harddrive. Same camera. Both are IP67 certified.

But the 8 Plus has the 1080p screen being more battery friendly, and less of a power hog. And the iPhone X has the front sensors always on looking at your face, and running in the background, some expect that to be a slight battery drain, as well as use up power.

So if you want the most powerful and fastest iPhone this Fall, and better battery life, it's the 8 Plus and not the X.

Honestly I am definitely thinking about the Pixel 2/2 XL for the generation. The X is essentially a first generation phone at least in design and screen ratio. And right now with all the small glitches I've found on iOS 11, I'm questioning myself whether I want to be an early adopter.

There's a good YouTube video I need to find again. But it compared the iPhone 8 Plus to the iPhone X ...

I don't see how that's possible since no reviewers have used an iPhone X outside of the demo after the presentation earlier this week - nobody has the iPhone X for review units yet, all people have (like MKBHD) is a mock-up non-functional device. The iPhone 8 and 8+ are obviously now in the hands of many people, but not the iPhone X, at least not yet.

I don't see how that's possible since no reviewers have used an iPhone X outside of the demo after the presentation earlier this week - nobody has the iPhone X for review units yet, all people have (like MKBHD) is a mock-up non-functional device. The iPhone 8 and 8+ are obviously now in the hands of many people, but not the iPhone X, at least not yet.

But they know the specs on the X, with it sharing so much hardware from the 8 Plus, and the X has a higher res display = more power draining, and the front sensors for Face ID running, is known to be a slight drain on the OS, as opposed to not having them at all on the 8 Plus.

Having a larger res display does not necessarily mean more power draining. The unlining technology is different. X has an OLED display while 8 has a traditional LCD. OLED's power efficiency has caught up to LCD's in the last few years, so on the average OLED actually uses less energy. The Kinect sensors also don't necessarily use more power than the always scanning touch ID...

Look at the battery life specs on this chart:
iPhone-7-vs-iPhone-8-vs-iPhone-X-battery-life-768x536.png

And yes, I'm comparing the X to the 7 and the 8, not the Plus variants due to relative size.
iPhone-7-vs-iPhone-8-vis-iPhone-X-size-and-weight-768x367.jpg

I'm surprised DxOMark still had a Nokia 808 PureView on hand to evaluate, and I guess the larger 41MP sensor isn't as much of an advantage as I thought. Makes me wonder what modern smartphones can do with a sensor the same size as the 808's (not necessarily the resolution, talking physical size and surface area for gathering light here), with today's software image processing techniques.

I wonder if they'll also test the Nokia Lumia 1020, or if it's deemed too similar to the 808 save the OIS and ludicrous lag time between photos.

With all that said, for all the bragging that people do about their phones' camera performance, I don't put that much importance on it since you can only do so much with a small sensor and fixed lenses, and every camera since the Note 4 has looked good enough to me for general use, with 2015 flagships implementing the camera2 API for manual control (too bad that never got backported to the Note 4).

The part where they all suck is telephoto/zoom performance, and that's just because it's hilariously impractical to be dangling a foot-long tube of glass from a phone that would most likely cost more than an iPhone X by itself - body not included. Keep in mind that your typical full-frame DSLR body is a pretty expensive piece of kit in and of itself, even without any lenses.

2x zoom on phones like the Note 8 isn't really enough for my liking; I want something more like 4x or 8x optical zoom if it were at all feasible, and that's when I'll be able to get some decent detail out of distant shots.

DxOMark has crowned a new champ today:
https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-8-reviewed-a-solid-performance-upgrade-over-the-iphone-7/

iPhone 8 set a new record at 92.

Let's see what HTC and Google (and also LG) will come up with on the Pixel 2. And I also have to assume that the iPhone X will have equal if not better quality cameras.

On that tip: Michael Fisher (aka Mr. Mobile) posted some photo samples in the first part of his iPhone 8 review, and... sounds like it's better than the S8, at least in terms of low-light performance. Less noise and preserves more color. Interesting the difference a year can make...

I watched some reviews and looked at some comparison photos and have to admit the 8/8+ are a noticeable step up from the current competition...

Reminder: we haven't seen what the LG V30 is capable of just yet either, and unfortunately DxOMark hasn't said they're doing any testing but I sure hope they do because I for one would be interested in seeing what that newer f/1.6 sensor is capable of.

Just got my 8+ (coming from a Pixel XL). Its funny, this is the first time switching back to iOS from Android that I have noticeably noticed iOS does stuff worse (notifications...omg).

However, I went back for the apps, and I can already see a difference (espn gamecast is actually updating on time again!). The phones feel quite sturdy in hand, noticeably heavier than my Pixel XL.

Reminder: we haven't seen what the LG V30 is capable of just yet either, and unfortunately DxOMark hasn't said they're doing any testing but I sure hope they do because I for one would be interested in seeing what that newer f/1.6 sensor is capable of.
From early comparisons against the Note 8 it tends to take better low light photos and tends to have more sharp/detailed photos as well. However, it handles HDR worse than the Note 8...and the Note 8 so far from what we've seen handles HDR worse than the iPhone 8. Granted this is preprodution hardware and software it was tested on 1-2 weeks ago if that makes any difference. But the one thing that the V30 has is the super wide angle lens that I think is the best dual camera set-up option by far.

My work ended up ordering an iPhone 8 for me (couldn't get them to swing for the X...damn) so I'm interested to play with it when it arrives. The LG V30 will likely be my personal phone (if it ever actually releases in the US...:mad:), but now since we're basically in October I want to see a full comparison between the Pixel XL 2, LG V30, and iPhone X before I make my final decision.

Just got my 8+ (coming from a Pixel XL). Its funny, this is the first time switching back to iOS from Android that I have noticeably noticed iOS does stuff worse (notifications...omg).

However, I went back for the apps, and I can already see a difference (espn gamecast is actually updating on time again!). The phones feel quite sturdy in hand, noticeably heavier than my Pixel XL.

It's true that iOS isn't great for notifications (having an Apple Watch helps, mind you). But this reminds me of why I'm fine using an iPhone as my main device: ultimately, it's about the apps you can run, not how you organize them.

Yeah, it'd be nice if you could organize your apps exactly the way you like them... but do you know what's nicer? Getting the latest app features first, and having them work well. I don't sit there staring lovingly at the feng shui of my home screen; I stare at it long enough to launch the app I want to run. Sometimes the home screen helps with that, but often it wouldn't matter if it was Sailfish OS so long as the apps were well-supported.

Reactions: Savoy
like this
It's true that iOS isn't great for notifications (having an Apple Watch helps, mind you). But this reminds me of why I'm fine using an iPhone as my main device: ultimately, it's about the apps you can run, not how you organize them.

Yeah, it'd be nice if you could organize your apps exactly the way you like them... but do you know what's nicer? Getting the latest app features first, and having them work well. I don't sit there staring lovingly at the feng shui of my home screen; I stare at it long enough to launch the app I want to run. Sometimes the home screen helps with that, but often it wouldn't matter if it was Sailfish OS so long as the apps were well-supported.

If you think the only differences between iOS and Android in customization is organizing apps then I don't think you've used Android enough. Changing default apps, downloading anything directly from the browser, and having access to the file system on the actual phone are huge for me as well. Split screen multi-tasking is also a big plus for some people, especially with some of these larger flagship phones. There is a lot more to Android than you're referencing.

If you think the only differences between iOS and Android in customization is organizing apps then I don't think you've used Android enough. Changing default apps, downloading anything directly from the browser, and having access to the file system on the actual phone are huge for me as well. Split screen multi-tasking is also a big plus for some people, especially with some of these larger flagship phones. There is a lot more to Android than you're referencing.

I'm aware of all that, and those are concerns. At the same time, though, what I said remains true: customization won't necessarily matter much if your favourite app is always months behind on features, or runs into glitches that aren't evident on another platform. Whether or not that matters depends on the person and the app, but as we saw with Cali3350, that clearly matters to some people.

I'm aware of all that, and those are concerns. At the same time, though, what I said remains true: customization won't necessarily matter much if your favourite app is always months behind on features, or runs into glitches that aren't evident on another platform. Whether or not that matters depends on the person and the app, but as we saw with Cali3350, that clearly matters to some people.

Could you provide examples of multiple apps that are months behind on features on Android compared to iOS? I had an S8+ last month and every single app I had on that phone worked identical to my 7 Plus features wise. The 7 Plus was only a tad smoother on certain apps, namely Snapchat.

Could you provide examples of multiple apps that are months behind on features on Android compared to iOS? I had an S8+ last month and every single app I had on that phone worked identical to my 7 Plus features wise. The 7 Plus was only a tad smoother on certain apps, namely Snapchat.

Cali3350 provided one, but I've seen fitness tracking apps whose features show up first on iOS (including Fitbit). Games, certainly. Facebook tends to introduce features like live video first on iOS.

Don't get me wrong, many big apps are updated in a timely manner on both platforms. It's just that when new features debut on only one platform, it tends to be iOS... and outside of those apps, the support gap tends to be more conspicuous.

Cali3350 provided one, but I've seen fitness tracking apps whose features show up first on iOS (including Fitbit). Games, certainly. Facebook tends to introduce features like live video first on iOS.

Don't get me wrong, many big apps are updated in a timely manner on both platforms. It's just that when new features debut on only one platform, it tends to be iOS... and outside of those apps, the support gap tends to be more conspicuous.

There may be differences in update deployment between the two on some apps, but I have a hard time believing that apps are months behind on Android as you had initially mentioned. If there are, then they are likely very rare one offs that are due to slow developers more-so than anything actually wrong with Android. The same situation could likely be reversed as well for certain apps.

And glitches happen on both systems; for example, my ecobee app had a glitch on iOS where you had to set the temperature 1-2 degrees lower than you actually want it to be on the thermostat to offset the glitch. On the Android app it worked completely fine and the temperature I set on the app was what the thermostat was set to.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of popular apps between the two platforms are generally updated within days of each other. I had over 50 apps installed on my S8+ and they all were identical to the apps on my 7 Plus in functionality - some just had minor differences in UI and the 7 Plus ran a couple of them a tad smoother.

There may be differences in update deployment between the two on some apps, but I have a hard time believing that apps are months behind on Android as you had initially mentioned. If there are, then they are likely very rare one offs that are due to slow developers more-so than anything actually wrong with Android. The same situation could likely be reversed as well for certain apps.

And glitches happen on both systems; for example, my ecobee app had a glitch on iOS where you had to set the temperature 1-2 degrees lower than you actually want it to be on the thermostat to offset the glitch. On the Android app it worked completely fine and the temperature I set on the app was what the thermostat was set to.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of popular apps between the two platforms are generally updated within days of each other. I had over 50 apps installed on my S8+ and they all were identical to the apps on my 7 Plus in functionality - some just had minor differences in UI and the 7 Plus ran a couple of them a tad smoother.

Feature wise apps are pretty consistent. But functionally I’m already noticing large differences.

1. As I mentioned above, espn game cast is properly updating live again, instead of having to constantly refresh or back out -> back in.
2. Chase sign on works much better. Both android and iOS have fingerprint login, but on iOS it goes straight place finger -> see accounts. On android I would often get a popup with a loading notification, with multiple messages overlapping each other in the background.
3. MLB.tv. When listening to a radio broadcast, the audio would often just stop. I would have to re-do the audio signal by backing out and backing back in. This was largely random, but seemed to be due to network quality fluctuations. On iOS, that radio broadcast is solid and doesn’t drop. It handles network fluctuations without stopping the broadcast.

Those are three quick app difference examples. The apps are feature compatible, but the experience is better in iOS. Neither are large or pariticularly dealbreakers, but they are annoyances. And they don’t exist on iOS.

Feature wise apps are pretty consistent. But functionally I’m already noticing large differences.

1. As I mentioned above, espn game cast is properly updating live again, instead of having to constantly refresh or back out -> back in.
2. Chase sign on works much better. Both android and iOS have fingerprint login, but on iOS it goes straight place finger -> see accounts. On android I would often get a popup with a loading notification, with multiple messages overlapping each other in the background.
3. MLB.tv. When listening to a radio broadcast, the audio would often just stop. I would have to re-do the audio signal by backing out and backing back in. This was largely random, but seemed to be due to network quality fluctuations. On iOS, that radio broadcast is solid and doesn’t drop. It handles network fluctuations without stopping the broadcast.

Those are three quick app difference examples. The apps are feature compatible, but the experience is better in iOS. Neither are large or pariticularly dealbreakers, but they are annoyances. And they don’t exist on iOS.

Don't use the other two apps, but I'll agree with the Chase app. That was one of the apps that runs better on my 7 Plus.

If you wanna see an app that just runs better on iOS then pokemon Go is by far the best example of this I have seen... Literally a few weeks ago had a s8, s8+ G6 & an iPhone 5 sitting next to each other running pogo & the iphone 5 was by far the smoothest of them. Even with 5 year old hardware the iOS app is just flat out better.

That all said I am a little over 24 hours into using my iPhone 8 & havent noticed anything being much different performance wise (didnt really expect to though since I was already on an iPhone 7).. The only real difference for me is that I love wireless charging & was able to go right back to using it. For most people the upgrade from 7 to 8 would not be worth the money. For me the only difference is 2.17 per month on my bill (T-Mobiles Jump On Demand lease so I dont even pay taxes up front).

I picked up an 8+ to replace my 6+ today and I am pleased by the performance increase. There is no more lag, delays, or 1GB of ram problems. Demanding games and apps run awesome. Sure there’s some bugs and things to fix but that always happens with a new OS. If you’re behind two generations or more you will not be disappointed.

I didn’t get the X because of two things. The hardware notch IN THE DAMN SCREEN and the thousand dollar price tag. Fuck that.

On that tip: Michael Fisher (aka Mr. Mobile) posted some photo samples in the first part of his iPhone 8 review, and... sounds like it's better than the S8, at least in terms of low-light performance. Less noise and preserves more color. Interesting the difference a year can make...

See above. Definitely not. SAF proved it in his review.

Back