Why so excited for the iPhone X ? It's the same old thing running boring iOS

Honestly who cares how fast iPhone X will be or the next gen Pixel or the next OEM flagship device? They are all ridiculously fast now and synthetic benchmarks mean nothing and we all know it. Will the Pixel 2 be noticeably faster than the Pixel when checking E-mail or browsing the web? Not a snowballs chance in hell. Will iPhone X be noticeably faster than the iPhone 7? Not a chance. On paper everything is "faster" but speed is relative and means nothing during normal daily use anymore.

You should go back and try a three year old flagship phone with newer apps. It will feel slow now, even though it didn’t at the time. Responsiveness is extremely important to a good user experience.

You should go back and try a three year old flagship phone with newer apps. It will feel slow now, even though it didn’t at the time. Responsiveness is extremely important to a good user experience.

Three years old he says. :rolleyes: After 2 years the battery life will be complete shit so who the hell even cares about performance at that point? Most people don't keep a phone past 2 years. Anybody that does certainly doesn't give a shit about performance. Again I specifically said "e-mail and browsing the web." Do you really think Facebook is any different on a Nexus 6P compared to a Galaxy S8? If you do then I have a bridge to sell you. ;)

Personally I haven't kept a phone past 6 months (thank you T-Mobile and the original JUMP) in two years. Want to know the difference between my G6 and my previous V10, G5, and V20? Jack and shit. Games are the only things that have benefited from the newer hardware and I hardly game.

I am totally confused the major hype for the new iPhone X, I just don't get it. It's nothing new at all to really be excited about. And I am super smartphone nerd, total gadget geek.

Because it's running the same old boring iOS, sure the iPhone 8 will be all new tech, catching up to the looks and bezel less display Android phones have had for a year already. But at the end of the day, the fancy new phone wears off quickly, and your left with the OS you use day in, and day out 24/7, and iOS 11 is just like lame boring, locked down iOS 10, which was just like old iOS 9, which was like lame iOS 8, and the Fischer Price toy iOS 7 which started it all.

Who gives two fucks about the new design of the iPhone X, when it's running the same iOS still from iOS 7 basically ? I'd be way more excited and pumped if the new phone was just the iPhone 8 Plus, but with a totally revamped major revision to iOS. That would be breaking news and truly jaw dropping. But right now, this X is basically a Galaxy S8 running iOS. Yawn :( Once the shiny new toy feeling wears off, it will feel just like the iPhone 7, and iPhone 6S, and iPhone 6, etc...Nothing new at all really here.

To be honest, I fail to see the big excitement for the iPhone X, What's the big deal here ? My point being the OS in it, is the same thing we've seen for years, nothing new here, just old iOS, nothing new. Sure the phone itself is better FINALLY, but that's it.

Thing is I LOVE the iPhone, a Jailbreaked 7 Plus is the best smartphone IMO right now. But only JB iPhone's do it for me, otherwise Nexus / Pixel all the way.
There hasn't been an iPhone post in ... god knows how long until your post. I think you are the most excited to see it.

Three years old he says. :rolleyes: After 2 years the battery life will be complete shit so who the hell even cares about performance at that point? Most people don't keep a phone past 2 years. Anybody that does certainly doesn't give a shit about performance. Again I specifically said "e-mail and browsing the web." Do you really think Facebook is any different on a Nexus 6P compared to a Galaxy S8? If you do then I have a bridge to sell you. ;)

Personally I haven't kept a phone past 6 months (thank you T-Mobile and the original JUMP) in two years. Want to know the difference between my G6 and my previous V10, G5, and V20? Jack and shit. Games are the only things that have benefited from the newer hardware and I hardly game.

I never really understood the whole battery life thing. We still have iphone 4s's around here that the kids use for ipods and the battery life doesn't seem any different to me.

I will agree that the performance difference for daily use between even a 2 year old flagship (6P) would barely be noticeable.

Congratulations, you're on a technology enthusiast board. Not sure what else you were expecting...:meh:

Thank you, thank you very much!

I find it amusing that people get bent out of shape over trivial stuff- like not having a back button at the bottom of the page instead of the top, etc.

iOS is boring? So what, it's a tool not an important part of making you you happy or satisfied in your life.

My iPhone makes calls, sends and receives texts and other useful stuff. But it's just a tool and it does those jobs fine. I don't understand how people get so invested in it (or Android) to the point that it becomes part of their identity. To me that is just bizarre but I see it all the time, people can't seem to live without their phone and honestly, that's pretty sad.

My 2 cents lol

My iPhone makes calls, sends and receives texts and other useful stuff. But it's just a tool and it does those jobs fine. I don't understand how people get so invested in it (or Android) to the point that it becomes part of their identity. To me that is just bizarre but I see it all the time, people can't seem to live without their phone and honestly, that's pretty sad.

My 2 cents lol

I hear you. I was in college when the first iPhone came out, but I was a very, very late smartphone adopter, so I still see mine the way you do: it "makes calls, sends and receives texts and other useful stuff."

I never really understood the whole battery life thing. We still have iphone 4s's around here that the kids use for ipods and the battery life doesn't seem any different to me.

I will agree that the performance difference for daily use between even a 2 year old flagship (6P) would barely be noticeable.

It really varies widely from person to person, even if they have similar usage habits.

I work my phones hard: Bluetooth headphones, streaming music, Instagram photos, navigation, you name it. But somehow, even if I'm out for several hours in the evening, I easily make it through a day. My phones usually still hold a great charge by the time I move them to someone else. On the flip side, I know people with only moderate use who somehow need to charge twice a day and kill their phone's ability to hold a charge... and this is with phones that are supposed to have great battery life!

It really varies widely from person to person, even if they have similar usage habits.

I work my phones hard: Bluetooth headphones, streaming music, Instagram photos, navigation, you name it. But somehow, even if I'm out for several hours in the evening, I easily make it through a day. My phones usually still hold a great charge by the time I move them to someone else. On the flip side, I know people with only moderate use who somehow need to charge twice a day and kill their phone's ability to hold a charge... and this is with phones that are supposed to have great battery life!

Alright, well in that case we cannot base our opinion on the battery based solely on the age of the phone. I guess that was more my point towards the guy I quoted. As an example, my battery on my 6P has been flaky since I purchased the phone, but I wouldn't generalise and say it's every phone.

I prefer a fingerprint sensor to facial unlock so I'm kinda disappointed.

iphone-x-iphone-8-benchmark-test.jpg

More power to run all the ARKit apps!

I prefer a fingerprint sensor to facial unlock so I'm kinda disappointed.

They still got the iPhone 8 at least. I'm pretty sure I'd go for that even if they were the same price as the X just for the FP scanner.

iphone-x-iphone-8-benchmark-test.jpg

More power to run all the ARKit apps!

Damn, that's about twice as fast (definitely on single core) as the SD 835 in current Android flagships.. crazy.

I don't trust those Geekbench scores, haven't for a long time, especially when they come to iOS products. Considering the raw clock speeds of the given SoCs/CPUs I find it really questionable that a single core can provide a score that is roughly half the multithreaded score when all 6 cores in that iPhone X are put to use, that's just not right no matter how you slice up the cycles. Either there's some tomfoolery going on with the device or there's something odd with the Geekbench code - and we all know it's pretty dirt simple to modify devices, drivers, and OSes to provide for excessive benchmark scores in some particular areas and sometimes in entire benchmarks themselves.

I'm sure the A11 SoC is fast, I have no doubt of that, but I don't trust the Geekbench stuff because of that kind of result. One would think if one single core can produce a ~4K score (yeah, I know, 4K BS again) then with 6 of them going (and we have no idea WHICH single core was used, one of the lower frequency cores or one of the "high efficiency" cores to produce that score) that having 6 cores (mixed efficiency) could SURELY do better than just a rough doubling + a wee bit more for the total.

Something just ain't fucking right with that benchmark when it comes to iOS devices, and it has similar results with Android devices too I've noted. Either the Geekbench code is just pure garbage and not multithreaded very efficiently itself or it's just taking big guesses at performance overall when it comes to using multiple cores.

Alright, well in that case we cannot base our opinion on the battery based solely on the age of the phone. I guess that was more my point towards the guy I quoted. As an example, my battery on my 6P has been flaky since I purchased the phone, but I wouldn't generalise and say it's every phone.
You can credit this to apple's design of hardware and OS being tightly controlled. Where on Android there are a verity of factors that can cause horrible battery life. Apple is not immune, but its a more consistent experience.

Or this, a lot of times I use my nexus 6P or Pixel XL as a portable harddrive, I have a big PDF I downloaded on my PC, I just plug my phone into the PC, and grab the file and throw it onto the phone, within seconds, unplug the phone, and the PDF is there on the phone for me. Easy, no big deal. Can this new file system in iOS 11 do the same now ?
My Honor 8 can actually see all Windows PC shares out of the box. On top of that Solid Explorer + FTP plugin means that I really don't feel the need to connect it to my PC with a cable. Obviously with Android the cable still just works. Those itoys still need third part bloat if you want to transfer shit, right?

At least the X is far enough away that the Pixel 2 XL will be announced so a comparison can be made. Google probably loves to see the $999 price tag as they can have the same features and list it for $200-$300 less or they also jack the price up to keep the "premium" price tag thing going.

They still got the iPhone 8 at least. I'm pretty sure I'd go for that even if they were the same price as the X just for the FP scanner.

I think I'm actually going to go with an iphone 8. My work phone is up for renewal(currently a 6s).

Gotta say... There's hardly anything special about iPhone X. It looks pretty much just like any thin bezel/near bezel-less glass sandwich out there. The display cut out just looks stupid. I'd prefer bezels over that every single time.

Gotta say... There's hardly anything special about iPhone X. It looks pretty much just like any thin bezel/near bezel-less glass sandwich out there. The display cut out just looks stupid. I'd prefer bezels over that every single time.

So they can advertise 5.8" screen than 5.6".... ;)

Came back from the iPhone X reveal completely underwhelmed. Not sure if it's because the leaks have been dead on for weeks or if the majority of these features are nothing new in the overall smartphone world.

the majority of these features are nothing new in the overall smartphone world.

And yet they tout wireless charging and facial recognition as some type of advanced super tech the world has never seen before, and charge an exorbitant price increase because of it.

Same shit, different year, and people will still line up at midnight to shell out money for it because Apple. *wanking motion*

Also, for the T-Mobile customers - I don't see the new 600Mhz Network (Band 71) listed as compatible with the iPhone 8/X.

And yet they tout wireless charging and facial recognition as some type of advanced super tech the world has never seen before, and charge an exorbitant price increase because of it.

Same shit, different year, and people will still line up at midnight to shell out money for it because Apple. *wanking motion*

Samsung Note 8 = $960

Pixel 2 XL projected to be $900+

Im failing to see your argument.

Samsung Note 8 = $960

Pixel 2 XL projected to be $900+

Im failing to see your argument.
Both of those phones are also larger than 5.8" (Note 8 is 6.3"...) and yet they're STILL cheaper than the iPhone X. Not to mention you have expandable storage with the Note 8 so you don't have to pay an additional $150 to get 256GB storage...

Android facial recognition has generally worked quite poorly, this may be one of the best implementations of it. Like the fact it will work in the dark or if you get fat and grow a beard.

Android facial recognition has generally worked quite poorly, this may be one of the best implementations of it. Like the fact it will work in the dark or if you get fat and grow a beard.
I'll wait to see how it works in consumer hands before basing any judgement on it.

Also, very stupid decision by Apple:

0C48BFB.jpg

The cutout at the top blocks games/videos.

I'll wait to see how it works in consumer hands before basing any judgement on it.

Also, very stupid decision by Apple:

0C48BFB.jpg

The cutout at the top blocks games/videos.

Face ID failed on stage, I don't have high hopes for it working better than Touch ID :p

Also developers will update their games to not use the space on the left for touch or UI elements. Legacy games will display in a rectangle and not reach out to the rounded corners.

Also, for the T-Mobile customers - I don't see the new 600Mhz Network (Band 71) listed as compatible with the iPhone 8/X.

There was NEVER a chance that it would. Apple was a full year+ behind on the 700mhz addition as well. And when Legere was talking about the 600 he said Samsung & LG, but never mentioned apple.

Both of those phones are also larger than 5.8" (Note 8 is 6.3"...) and yet they're STILL cheaper than the iPhone X. Not to mention you have expandable storage with the Note 8 so you don't have to pay an additional $150 to get 256GB storage...

Is this news to you that Apple is always a little bit higher priced than the competitors and dont offer expandable storage?

I never understood the whole hate on iOS/Android hype. I dont like Android therefor I dont buy the product. I think Android is complete crap. I think 99% of the phones are complete crap that run Android from my personal experience of owning devices that run Android. Therefor I purchase Apple but I know a lot of other people enjoy Android and have had better experiences with the OS and products than I have but I dont go out of my way to post that its complete crap (besides this post) because it makes no sense.

People like different things. I know its hard to understand when you like something and someone else doesnt but thats just the way the world works.

BMW or Mercedes. Ready GO!

Is this news to you that Apple is always a little bit higher priced than the competitors and dont offer expandable storage?

I never understood the whole hate on iOS/Android hype. I dont like Android therefor I dont buy the product. I think Android is complete crap. I think 99% of the phones are complete crap that run Android from my personal experience of owning devices that run Android. Therefor I purchase Apple but I know a lot of other people enjoy Android and have had better experiences with the OS and products than I have but I dont go out of my way to post that its complete crap (besides this post) because it makes no sense.

People like different things. I know its hard to understand when you like something and someone else doesnt but thats just the way the world works.

BMW or Mercedes. Ready GO!

Maybe you ought to use it on a flagship phone. All apple devices are basically flagship, so you cannot use an iPhone and then switch over to a shitty Droid or some Sony phone. If you want to compare Android, do it with a stock release.

Maybe you ought to use it on a flagship phone. All apple devices are basically flagship, so you cannot use an iPhone and then switch over to a shitty Droid or some Sony phone. If you want to compare Android, do it with a stock release.

See thats another problem I see with Andorid and why I dont purchase Android devices. I had the Galaxy S7 Edge and I had problems with it every day, and I mean EVERY DAY. If someone is going to put an operating system on a device, I expect it to work right out of the box. I dont want to have to play around with settings, download programs, remove apps, etc. to get the phone to work how its intended to.

There are a lot of people who love to fiddle around with that type of stuff and hate being locked into an OS where they cant mess around and customize every little thing. For me, I use a phone as its intended I dont have time to sit around and play with the damn thing. I use Apple because the OS is stable, their products are just about flawless and everything works.

Thats just my opinion and it really doesn't bother me that people dont agree with me. People love Android and that doesn't bother me either.

The LG V30 at $750 is looking like quite the nice flagship compared to the iPhone X at $1,000 base starting price, and Note 8 at $950.

For me the best phones this fall would be LG V30 rooted and custom TWRP running Lineage 15.0, that would be a nerds wet dream phone, or the iPhone 8 Plus for $799 with a stable untethered Jailbreak :)

The LG V30 at $750 is looking like quite the nice flagship compared to the iPhone X at $1,000 base starting price, and Note 8 at $950.

For me the best phones this fall would be LG V30 rooted and custom TWRP running Lineage 15.0, that would be a nerds wet dream phone, or the iPhone 8 Plus for $799 with a stable untethered Jailbreak :)

Depending on what Google does with Pixel 2 and carriers I will most likely be moving from my G6 to the V30. Looking forward to it no doubt. I wonder what kind of deal LG is gonna give this time...

Between the free 200GB Sdcard with V10, the 360 Cam with G5, the B&O Headphones (bitchin btw) with V20, and Google Home with G6 I've been livin' large. ;)

Depending on what Google does with Pixel 2 and carriers I will most likely be moving from my G6 to the V30. Looking forward to it no doubt. I wonder what kind of deal LG is gonna give this time...

Between the free 200GB Sdcard with V10, the 360 Cam with G5, the B&O Headphones (bitchin btw) with V20, and Google Home with G6 I've been livin' large. ;)

lol... I got them all but the headphones (got my v20 for 200 from someone who won it). But I also did T-Mobile Jump from my & my daughters g6's that I got the google home's with to another 2 g6's when LG had the bogo for that short period.

Come on guys, WP is where it's at. :D.

Seriously though, MS had a good thing going with WP 7 and then 8 but managed like they always do, to screw it up.

The LG V30 looks to be the sleeper hit for Android, or just smartphones overall, this year if it lands in the sub-$800 bracket. It will likely be my next phone unless the Pixel XL2 somehow retains its headphone jack and comes in under $900 then that may make things more difficult for me.

I can't wait for release so I can get a 7 plus at a decent price.

You can have mine for what I have left owed on it. ;)

I'll just say that my little bro's iPhone 5S had weird freeze/lockup related issues a few times that required a hard reboot. "It just works" my ass. At least he hasn't had to ask me about anything regarding the iPhone SE that replaced it and seems plenty content with it, even if iOS (and any version of OS X/macOS starting at roughly 10.7 Lion or so, for that matter) is not my cup of tea for a litany of reasons.

Anyway, Apple could've grabbed my attention if they just announced one thing on the iPhone X that I honestly would never have expected to begin with: Pencil support. But no, missed opportunity to steal some of Samsung's Galaxy Note userbase there, just like everyone else. Welp.

Seriously, they're the only ones with active pen digitizer tech that can even compete against Wacom (whose EMR tech that the S Pen is just a rebadged version of), and they withhold the Pencil to the iPad Pro lineup anyway!

Oh well, their loss. I got my Note 8 earlier today and am quite happy with it so far, though the real test for any Samsung device - especially on stock firmware - is after a few months. Gotta see if it ends up choking like a typical Windows install.

Back