Why so excited for the iPhone X ? It's the same old thing running boring iOS

I really don't care. So why am I posting? It's because I think it's an amazing thing that people get so locked into a company, and are so happy to shell out more money, year after year. The biggest reason is, of course, the status thing.

Not for all of us. I pick what works best for me as I use my phone for work and personal use.

In the past it has been Android. For the past two years or so I have used an iPhone as my daily phone while still testing the waters with OnePlus and Pixel phones.

My only real issue since moving more or less full time to an iPhone Plus model is the size and most specifically the width.

iOS is more compatible with most of the clients I deal with, connects to Bluetooth in my car flawlessly, doesn't drop wifi, outstanding battery life and camera is very good.

OnePlus 5 has outstanding battery life is as fluid and quick as a phone can be but camera is less than stellar and Bluetooth, wifi and calls were always hit or miss. Sometimes they worked as expected where other times it was very frustrating.

Last year's Pixel/XL was excellent and the camera was/is probably better in most instances than the 7+. Battery life was great. Fluid OS and just worked. I never really had issues with it but it was more of a challenge when 90%+ of the people I deal with daily use an iPhone.

For some it may be status. For others like me, it boils down to what works best for my needs.

I don't lease phones I buy them outright and use them for about a year now as they are to the point where even the current flagships are overkill and my 7+ fits everything I need except the physical size.

I'm hoping the X ticks the last box for me which is a smaller physical size while still providing a largish screen.

I am not beholden to Android or iOS as I don't have a houseful of Apple devices other than an old iPad Mini.

I use homebuilt Windows PC's and laptops and can appreciate the ease of Android in moving files between the PC and phone but with cloud services like Google Photos, DropBox, etc. and Google Apps thatvwork just as well if not better on iOS there really is not much difference between the two OS's at this point when you are actually using the phone.

I used to be a fanatic about rooting my phones, flashing ROM's, custom kernels but it was always to improve something that was lacking in how I needed to use my phone.

Apple has a walled garden and totally restricts what you can do to it but it just works for me at this point so why fight it.

The biggest reason is, of course, the status thing.

This statement is funny, because it’s made up and repeated so often! Do you think people go around saying “omg! I like have an iPhone and stuff, I have status lol!

It absolutely happens, if you're paying attention to the world around you. :D
Lol, I’m sure it happens but that world is very small. Back when the iPhone was the only thing worth buying, sure.

Now, it’s like this:

Person 1 “Hey you buying the new iPhone?”

Person 2 “Yes/no”

Person 1 “K”

iPhone's are sold at Target and Walmart now, they are the Honda Accord of phones, or the McDonald's Big Mac of smartphones. They are not status symbols today, nothing special.

Now the Nexus phones or Pixel those are more like the Corvette Z06 phones, they are unique.

iPhone's are sold at Target and Walmart now, they are the Honda Accord of phones, or the McDonald's Big Mac of smartphones. They are not status symbols today, nothing special.

Now the Nexus phones or Pixel those are more like the Corvette Z06 phones, they are unique.

Placement has little to do with prestige. If it did, I shouldn't be able to buy a Mercedes Benz anywhere in SoCal except Beverly Hills.
Obscurity means that your product doesn't sell well enough to get placement. That generally points far more to niche than it does to prestige.

Also Z06's aren't what I would call either unique or a status symbol. At 80k, they aren't nearly what a super car or hyper car would cost. And neither am I impressed when I see one. Corvettes are for people experiencing a mid-life crisis that generally don't want to buy something that's both practical and fast and also can't afford a supercar. I'd rather have an M5 or S6 than any Chevy of the same price. Hell even a Mercedes C63 AMG.

Additionally if your argument that Apple is nothing special due to placement, you did a poor job citing a Chevy as your reference. As those are more widely available than virtually any luxury car, and especially more so than any car I mentioned.

iPhones aren't really prestigious in the US, although I'll bet that'll change slightly with the iPhone X (less so if the design is democratized with the 2018 model).

In countries like China, however, the iPhone is still aspirational: it's what you get to signal that you've "made it." That's why you still see quite a few iPhone knockoffs in China... pretend you have the latest iPhone when your salary makes the real thing unaffordable. The X is definitely going to be a status symbol in the region.

From the guy that reviewed the 1st iPhone as an early pre-release. He got the X early and he talks about his first impressions after a week of use. Not terribly detailed and I can't imagine why Animoji's are anything that someone would use but whatever.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/iphone-x-first-impression/amp

What I get from that review is that the X is a beautiful phone that, in the end, is still an iPhone. Granted, a large screen iPhone in a small package is exactly what myself and many others are looking for.

What I get from that review is that the X is a beautiful phone that, in the end, is still an iPhone

"... that comes with a display that's got less pixels than it normally would because of the rounded nature and yes that damned notch, but that just means it's Apple innovation and we can charge even more money for it!!!" :D

"... that comes with a display that's got less pixels than it normally would because of the rounded nature and yes that damned notch, but that just means it's Apple innovation and we can charge even more money for it!!!" :D

But the difference is Apple has always gimped the smaller phone in regard to screen, battery size and camera.

The X provides the high end goods in a smaller physical form factor that slots between the regular and plus size.

What I get from that review is that the X is a beautiful phone that, in the end, is still an iPhone. Granted, a large screen iPhone in a small package is exactly what myself and many others are looking for.

Reminds me of someone grousing about the Nintendo Switch: "it's just a mobile device that runs Mario and Zelda. My PS4/Xbox One/PC does X or Y." Yes, but... it's a mobile device running Mario and Zelda.

In both cases, it's trying to downplay the importance of the software. The reason people are jazzed for the iPhone X is because it brings some pretty dramatic improvements to an iPhone. If you're not a fan of Android or just prefer Apple's software more, this is one gigantic sugar rush. It probably won't convince you to throw out your S8, but it doesn't have to.

All rumors point to this for the Fall 2018 iPhone lineup, I have read this from numerous Apple fan sites, that have a pretty good track record of enxt gen products

- 5.8" iPhone XI ( replacing the standard size 4.7" smaller iPhone )
- 6.4" iPhone XI Plus ( replacing the standard size 5.5" Plus phones, overall footprint size of phone no bigger than the current iPhone 8 Plus )
- 6" iPhone 9 ( LCD screen, cheaper iPhone than the iPhone 11's but still sharing similar hardware )

Both iPhone 11 phones keeping a nearly identical style and design to the 2017 iPhone X. And the iPhone 9, keeping the style of the past 4 generations.

Apple will never call any version of any device on any of their platforms XI - it's just not gonna happen. :D

They might call such devices 11 but XI, nope, not going to happen. I've always been one of those people that purposely referred to OS "X" as Ecks (the sound of the "X") and not OS 10 because they banked on "The X Factor" meaning anything with a big fucking X in the name would be more interesting (The X-Factor, The X-Games, etc).

They did the same thing with the iPhone X once again (since it's obviously not the 10th device in the series) and you see how they switched from calling the desktop OS "OS X <whatever point release>" to now just calling it macOS 11 - they've dropped the so-called Roman numeral aspect since they can't really call it macOS XI which is just ugly no matter how you try to get the point across - even Apple's marketing spin can't make XI sexy. :)

iPhone X is named as such to commemorate the 10th year of iPhone, and OS X / macOS is still only at major version 10. Though you probably are right that next year's phone will be the iPhone 11. The LCD version will likely replace the "SE" line with similar naming.

The Fall 2018 iPhone lineup name of iPhone XI was just placeholders, people suggest Apple employees have bounced around names like iPhone X2 / iPhone X2 Plus, others saying they will go with iPhone 11 / iPhone 11 Plus.

But the one thing that has been consistently rumored for next years iPhone's are the sizes, and everyone says this is most likely what to expect;

-5.8" OLED bezeless display ( will take the place of the normal iPhone model that the 4.7" has been )
-6.4" OLED bezeless display ( will take the Plus sized place )
-6" LCD display with older looking bezels ( budget iPhone )

Placement has little to do with prestige. If it did, I shouldn't be able to buy a Mercedes Benz anywhere in SoCal except Beverly Hills.
Obscurity means that your product doesn't sell well enough to get placement. That generally points far more to niche than it does to prestige.

Also Z06's aren't what I would call either unique or a status symbol. At 80k, they aren't nearly what a super car or hyper car would cost. And neither am I impressed when I see one. Corvettes are for people experiencing a mid-life crisis that generally don't want to buy something that's both practical and fast and also can't afford a supercar. I'd rather have an M5 or S6 than any Chevy of the same price. Hell even a Mercedes C63 AMG.

Additionally if your argument that Apple is nothing special due to placement, you did a poor job citing a Chevy as your reference. As those are more widely available than virtually any luxury car, and especially more so than any car I mentioned.

So you'd rather have two extremely douchey status symbol cars of vastly lower performance, from the same status-conscious vein as the iphone, while regurgitating internet nonsense about the z06. Way to be. The current m5 tied the rental car Mustang GT around VIR in Car & Driver's Lightning Lap. What a deeply impressive 4500lb "sports car."

Reactions: N4CR
like this
So you'd rather have two extremely douchey status symbol cars of vastly lower performance, from the same status-conscious vein as the iphone, while regurgitating internet nonsense about the z06. Way to be. The current m5 tied the rental car Mustang GT around VIR in Car & Driver's Lightning Lap. What a deeply impressive 4500lb "sports car."

You didn't even discuss the entire main point of the post in the first place, which was in regards to placement as an ear-marker for status. But to talk about your one focus target here...

The Z06 carries two people, one being the driver, with no appreciable trunk space. The other is a practical car that I could take on a track and still carry a whole family. So if having a car that is also conscious of my family and friends is "douchey" than I'd gladly take that title rather than put a greater compromise where it counts.
You skipped everything relevant in my post while being only keenly focused on the 'insult' to your preference. My point entirely is that the Z06 isn't impressive and neither is any car in that price range. If your goal is to grow your epenis than all of those vehicles are a compromise and none are impressive. But at least any of the 4 door sedans I listed get more than one job done and do little to stroke my ego, while still going plenty fast enough and with all the tech toys to keep myself and anyone else in the cabin busy. And yeah, I guess they'll do it far more comfortably and more 'stylishly' too.

Last edited:
I also owned a ///M5 and LOVED it, I should have said ///M5 instead of Z06. My point on the Zo6 was that it's more unique and best bang for the buck. For less than $100k you get in the Z06 a super car performance, that takes cars almost double the price to match, plus Z06's are pretty rare, and I'm not talking about the lame standard base Corvette, those are wimpy and boring. But the Z06 with the widebody, and fat rear tires, specifically if modded slightly, with tinted windows, lowered, and after market exhaust, they can look and sound mean.

I'm not interested in any new Apple phone but unfortunately with the typical Apple assfuckery, IOS 11 slowed down my iPhone 6+ a lot and it now stutters on opening pages like reddit and sometimes outright crashes. This didn't happen in previous versions so if I can I'm going to downgrade back to IOS 10.

Edit: Well found out Apple stopped signing 10.3.3 so I can't downgrade my phone. Basically they are forcing obsolescence on a perfectly good working phone. Will probably sell this thing and grab a Galaxy S8+.

Last edited:
This statement is funny, because it’s made up and repeated so often! Do you think people go around saying “omg! I like have an iPhone and stuff, I have status lol!
Trolling? I see more iPhone in the hands of people at Walmart with holes in their sweatpants, complaining about how they can't afford gas while paying for food with food stamps. But they have that newest iPhone tho!

Trolling? I see more iPhone in the hands of people at Walmart with holes in their sweatpants, complaining about how they can't afford gas while paying for food with food stamps. But they have that newest iPhone tho!
Lol sure.

Lol sure.

There is a great deal of truth in what jmilcher just said, seriously, 'cause I see that shit myself constantly. Ain't nothing more ridiculous than seeing some person yammering away on a high end smartphone (pretty much every iPhone is considered to be such a thing based on the pricing alone) in a line at a grocery store (not just Walmart) complaining about a variety of things and the prices too and then out comes a Quest card aka "food stamps" and then an argument over the non-food items and how the hot deli food (like rotisserie chicken or something) can't be purchased using the Quest card and then finally that person gets their shit together and gets the hell outta my way.

All the time, all the fucking time, really. :D

There is a great deal of truth in what jmilcher just said, seriously, 'cause I see that shit myself constantly. Ain't nothing more ridiculous than seeing some person yammering away on a high end smartphone (pretty much every iPhone is considered to be such a thing based on the pricing alone) in a line at a grocery store (not just Walmart) complaining about a variety of things and the prices too and then out comes a Quest card aka "food stamps" and then an argument over the non-food items and how the hot deli food (like rotisserie chicken or something) can't be purchased using the Quest card and then finally that person gets their shit together and gets the hell outta my way.

All the time, all the fucking time, really. :D
I guess I wouldn’t know, I don’t hange out at Walmart all that much listening to other people’s conversations. :p

I still don’t believe this happens, but they are fun to read.

Nobody said I or the other poster was "hanging out," I said for myself it happens in the checkout line and it does, literally - I go shopping, I get my shit, I get to the checkout line and... I end up dealing with that kind of crap when all I want to do is get the hell out and back home like most folks would. Maybe you're just not paying all that much attention to the world around you when you're out and about (assuming you do get out and about now and again) or you just choose to filter things to such degrees you're unaware, I have no idea, but it absolutely happens.

Can't speak for where you live or the environment in your area, of course, but in general in today's world and especially in the US people in public places (and that includes inside businesses/malls/retail outlets/etc) tend to be loud noisy arrogant insensitive obnoxious motherfuckers more often than not.

Anyway, I see an incredible amount of iPhones in use in such instances but that's just me and my 24/7/365 days a year situational awareness that's cranked to a solid 10. I don't miss much going on around me whether I like it or not.

Nobody said I or the other poster was "hanging out," I said for myself it happens in the checkout line and it does, literally - I go shopping, I get my shit, I get to the checkout line and... I end up dealing with that kind of crap when all I want to do is get the hell out and back home like most folks would. Maybe you're just not paying all that much attention to the world around you when you're out and about (assuming you do get out and about now and again) or you just choose to filter things to such degrees you're unaware, I have no idea, but it absolutely happens.

Can't speak for where you live or the environment in your area, of course, but in general in today's world and especially in the US people in public places (and that includes inside businesses/malls/retail outlets/etc) tend to be loud noisy arrogant insensitive obnoxious motherfuckers more often than not.

Anyway, I see an incredible amount of iPhones in use in such instances but that's just me and my 24/7/365 days a year situational awareness that's cranked to a solid 10. I don't miss much going on around me whether I like it or not.
K

Still don’t believe you.

I also owned a ///M5 and LOVED it, I should have said ///M5 instead of Z06. My point on the Zo6 was that it's more unique and best bang for the buck. For less than $100k you get in the Z06 a super car performance, that takes cars almost double the price to match, plus Z06's are pretty rare, and I'm not talking about the lame standard base Corvette, those are wimpy and boring. But the Z06 with the widebody, and fat rear tires, specifically if modded slightly, with tinted windows, lowered, and after market exhaust, they can look and sound mean.

It's more like a GSF than M5. Bold, old school V8, slower 0-60, but dang that classic engine sound, and no turbo lag...

And yes, I do own one for all these reasons. Same as my Pixel.... :happy:

It's more like a GSF than M5. Bold, old school V8, slower 0-60, but dang that classic engine sound, and no turbo lag...

I like both too, the sound alone could sell me on the cars but those price tags.... they'd cause me to miss a rent or two :)

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8710&idPhone2=8858

Essential PH-1 = 141.5 x 71.1 x 7.8 mm
iPhone X = 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm

I think the best of both worlds if you could afford it, would be to own both the Essential phone, and the iPhone X. Size wise they couldn't be any closer, they are nearly identical in size within a millimeter or so. With 5.7" and 5.8" screens respectively. So would be cool to have two extremely similar full screen devices, but with both OS's to switch back and forth on.

The Essential phone is a great stock Android type phone for a budget price of $499, and the latest update this week, really smoothed out performance per real reviews, and people saying each update every two weeks have been really turning this phone around, to be a better performer than when it first launched. And Oreo is due in December with a dark mode settings too, and even more bug fixes, etc...

I know the Essential phone isn't as premium as the iPhone X, the Essential doesn't have wireless charging, it's not IP67, doesn't have an OLED screen, but the size of it is almost exactly to the iPhone X, and it runs stock Android, which is Google's pure OS. I think an Essential next to the X would just be cool to have them both.

I know the Essential phone isn't as premium as the iPhone X, the Essential doesn't have wireless charging, it's not IP67, doesn't have an OLED screen, but the size of it is almost exactly to the iPhone X, and it runs stock Android, which is Google's pure OS. I think an Essential next to the X would just be cool to have them both.

Last edited:
I was totally in the same situation the other day, but at a comic shop. There was this guy in line talking on an android phone to his friend when he was supposed to be checking out. He was complaining about how the shop didn't carry and direct imports of his Manga, only re-releases that are translated into english. He had a hard time finding his wallet because the katana sitting on his hip was getting in the way of his back pocket. Once he managed to finally reach around his huge gut and get his wallet out of his pants, he wiped the sweat from the beard on his neck and pulled his debit card out. He had one of those custom cards that was Rick and Morty themed. He saw that I noticed and asked if I watched it. I told him I did and he kind of just skoffed at me and said that I probably didn't understand 99.6724284% of the jokes because surely my IQ was too low. I asked how he knew my IQ and he just pointed at my iphone, while tipping his fedora.

People here are going to say that our stories are fake or we made them up, but it happens like all the time. People without that hyper awareness 365%$ of the time just don't get it. Its all good though because its the 31st and my food stamps come in tomorrow. Good thing too, that Iphone X I ordered was hella expensive. There's no way I could afford food on my barista salary.

LOL good story, that was funny. What a douchbag and tool for being that fat fuck

I'm pretty confident that story from AltTabbins was poking fun at my actual story but it's somewhat tough to tell, the sarcasm is pretty strong with Alt apparently. ;)

But that's God-tier 4chan level stuff, definitely, absolutely GOAT material. :D

A couple day's ago I told my Dad I ordered a Pixel 2 XL and the price.

His reply was:
Him: What? You could have ordered an IPhone for that much!

Me: Why would I do that?

Him: Isn't it allot better?

Me: Not to me it's not.

Dad has a pixel XL and is under the impression from his friends and others that Iphone is the Rolls Royce of smartphones still. So I have to agree there is certainly still this apple / status symbol thing going on.

TLDR: I guess I'll have to recommend an Iphone for my Dad next time around, and see if it will make him happier because it is a status symbol.

A couple day's ago I told my Dad I ordered a Pixel 2 XL and the price.

His reply was:
Him: What? You could have ordered an IPhone for that much!

Me: Why would I do that?

Him: Isn't it allot better?

Me: Not to me it's not.

Dad has a pixel XL and is under the impression from his friends and others that Iphone is the Rolls Royce of smartphones still. So I have to agree there is certainly still this apple / status symbol thing going on.

TLDR: I guess I'll have to recommend an Iphone for my Dad next time around, and see if it will make him happier because it is a status symbol.
Nothing of what you mentioned makes it a status symbol, only YOU calling it one in your TLDR. Your dad assumed the phone was better, not +9000 status.

I’m starting to see a trend though, people who have no notion of buying iPhones keep saying that people buy them for status. So maybe it’s only non-iPhone people who still see them as status symbols?

I was totally in the same situation the other day, but at a comic shop. There was this guy in line talking on an android phone to his friend when he was supposed to be checking out. He was complaining about how the shop didn't carry and direct imports of his Manga, only re-releases that are translated into english. He had a hard time finding his wallet because the katana sitting on his hip was getting in the way of his back pocket. Once he managed to finally reach around his huge gut and get his wallet out of his pants, he wiped the sweat from the beard on his neck and pulled his debit card out. He had one of those custom cards that was Rick and Morty themed. He saw that I noticed and asked if I watched it. I told him I did and he kind of just skoffed at me and said that I probably didn't understand 99.6724284% of the jokes because surely my IQ was too low. I asked how he knew my IQ and he just pointed at my iphone, while tipping his fedora.

People here are going to say that our stories are fake or we made them up, but it happens like all the time. People without that hyper awareness 365%$ of the time just don't get it. Its all good though because its the 31st and my food stamps come in tomorrow. Good thing too, that Iphone X I ordered was hella expensive. There's no way I could afford food on my barista salary.
I bet he missed his rent too.

Wow, I can’t believe the length of these paragraphs and how far some of you weirdos are going to explain yourselves , lmao!

Dude it’s a badass phone. Just like the Note 8 is badass, the iPhone 8’s are badass and the Pixel 2’s are badass.

Fuck lol

Define "badass" 'cause I don't consider smartphones to be "badass" devices myself. It's just a damned smartphone, that much we should all be able to completely agree on, and anything outside of that tends to be personal opinions. Right?

Now, having said that, if there ever has been a smartphone that could legitimately be called "badass" assuming we're on the same level with the usage of that word it would be the Motorola Droid Turbo 2 - why? Because I can take a Droid Turbo 2 and smash any other smartphone that's ever been made to literal shards and the Droid Turbo 2 would just laugh about it and keep right on going with a few scuff marks on the metal frame at worst. :D

EDIT:
Made this post then went looking at typical tech sites and saw this which I found funny considering the "status symbol" aspects being discussed - mind you there was another article basically stating the same thing years ago but this one was written just yesterday even though it says basically the same ideas:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/31/buy...uis-vuitton-not-a-tech-company-hsbc-says.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back