Why should I buy an Xbox 360 vs PS3?

greyt_Autumn said:
DVD is 540 lines (really 480p in most cases)

Id di not mean that Forza was on both- It just like GT5 will be single platform.

I'm not too pleased to see that MS is chippinhg away at people- Live subs, need to buy a series of addons in order to get 'full' functionality- $100 for a wireless nic?

I think that the PS3 is probably better for me- if I can ever find one.

It's still funny to see how people get inflamed over this type of stuff. :rolleyes:

It's not like it affects YOU in any real way.

you dont need the wireless NIC, it has a wired NIC built in

i have cable internet and TV, so the cable modem and wireless router sit in my entertainment center, 360 is hard wired to the router, wireless is used for my laptop anwhere in the house, works flawlessly, besides, using the wireless connection on the 360 as opposed to the wired introduces some issues like wireless router compatibility, etc.....

JSC450 said:
when i picked mine up there was a sale. It wasnt advertised or anything, they just rung it up, and there was a $50 instant rebate.

Did it just ring up as $50? Durnit, now I want to call and confirm this price. If it's true I'm heading there ASAP.

Furystrike said:
$30 for a wireless bridge
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5067725

not as elegant as the wireless nic, but it'll do the job.

My 360 is out for delivery! I'm so psyched!!! Gears of war and my extra controller came yesterday.

Hrm, very intriguing! How well does it work though? Our apartment is really long and the wireless router would be pretty much on the other side of the apartment. It'd have to go through 3 walls and about...35-40 feet probably (maybe a little bit more). The 1.5 MBps speed isn't fantastic either. We've got 6 MBps down/768 KBps up. Can anyone else confirm that these work with a 360?

Also, how big of an issue is ping on XBL?

Looks like you're in the market for the same things I am :) I nabbed GoW for $41 on buy.com, an extra controller for $30 with the Kmart deal, and the 360 is in the mail :)

kabob983 said:
Did it just ring up as $50? Durnit, now I want to call and confirm this price. If it's true I'm heading there ASAP.

it rang up as $100 - $50 rebate

i got it awhile ago

You buy the system with the games you want.

If you want to compare the 360 to the PS3, there really is no difference... well other then a $200 price point.

Personally ? 360.

greyt_Autumn said:
BluRay currently has the catalogs that I want in HD (Indiana Jones, Star Wars, James Bond back catalog- but that's fuzzy about distribution)

Just a note: Lucas has said that he has absolutely no plans to release any of his movies on either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. That means no Star Wars or Indiana Jones for at least two years, no matter what the studios say.

kabob983 said:
Hrm, very intriguing! How well does it work though? Our apartment is really long and the wireless router would be pretty much on the other side of the apartment. It'd have to go through 3 walls and about...35-40 feet probably (maybe a little bit more). The 1.5 MBps speed isn't fantastic either. We've got 6 MBps down/768 KBps up. Can anyone else confirm that these work with a 360?

Also, how big of an issue is ping on XBL?

Looks like you're in the market for the same things I am :) I nabbed GoW for $41 on buy.com, an extra controller for $30 with the Kmart deal, and the 360 is in the mail :)

I use a $30 wireless ethernet bridge as well and it works great. Anyone who buys into the $99 MS USB adapter just isn't aware of their options.

We've got wireless DSL right now. I could plug an ethernet cable into the router I suppose.

What option would you go with in my shoes?

kabob983 said:
We've got wireless DSL right now. I could plug an ethernet cable into the router I suppose.

What option would you go with in my shoes?

i use a bit of both. but my router is right next to my 360 so. if it were in another room, i would use the wifi. i wouldn't buy the MS one though if you can't get it for $50 or less (its nice only because it attaqches to the 360) otherwise i would go with a cheaper wireless bridge.

Will the Logitech wireless ethernet bridge he linked to at Fry's work with our wireless DSL? If so, what's the best way to set it up? One end directly plugged into the router and the other plugged into the 360?

ellover009 said:
Honestly the Best reason to get a PS3 at this moment is because it has potential,

Don't buy a console on potential. Don't buy a console on games that might ship somewhere in the distant future.

If the console meets that potential, then you should buy it when it does, as it'll probably be cheaper and more reliable/less buggy.

Keep the money in your pocket, where it does you some good instead of spending on a console with potential. It isn't like either console is a limited edition and if you don't get it at release you can never get one at all.

The only thing you'll miss out on by waiting to buy a ps3 is the Internet bubble for Resistance. If it is a good game, people will still be playing multi when you get your ps3. If it isn't, then there was no point in playing it multi in the first place.

Furystrike said:

"The 1.5 Mbps data rate eliminates the bottlenecks associated with slower 54 Mbps or 11 Mbps wireless networking standards, helping to reduce lag when playing online games on broadband connections."

Am I the only one who's confused by that? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Still looking for someone to verify that this gizmo will work with a wireless DSL

As an owner of all 3; go with the 360.

The library is better, the system is more mature, the featureset / pricepoint is much better.

Not to say I dont enjoy the PS3 (and Resistance), but if I could only have one console, it would be the 360 without a doubt.

Just bought 360 at Micro center for the $100 mail in rebate.

I bought it for games now GOW and oblivion. Also for the future, Halo 3, Fable 2, and Assassins Creed. I know some of those are multi platform but if I can get them all with one console its well worth it and my computer sucks till I graduate from college.

I have a 360 at the moment, but plan on getting a PS3 as soon as I can find one for retail pricing (I missed out on the pre-order, my EB manager friend was on vacation the week the e-mail about the pre-order came out).

The 360 is nice now, I love Madden and Battlefield: 2 MC on it, but that is about all I play. The Blu-Ray player alone makes the PS3 the system to have in my mind, and Sony does have a great relationship with a lot of developers, I doubt that MS can buy them all out.

Also, I do plan on picking up a Wii later if money permits and new titles keep making use of the innovative controller. So far, I doubt they will, but if it really catches on, it does look fun as a second or third system.

bump in hope of someone answering the "will this work with a wireless DSL question"

kabob983 said:
bump in hope of someone answering the "will this work with a wireless DSL question"
Do you have a router? The [H] actually used those exact devices. You hook one up to the router, and one up to the 360. they use 900mhz technology to connect to each other and the 1.5mbs speed is fine for gaming but downloads crawl.

Another vote for the 360 here, after owning the 360, Wii, and PS3, the 360 is my clear winner, and I say this mostly because of the games.
If I had to answer this again in a year I can't say I'd still pick the 360, though.

Kahnvex said:
Do you have a router? The [H] actually used those exact devices. You hook one up to the router, and one up to the 360. they use 900mhz technology to connect to each other and the 1.5mbs speed is fine for gaming but downloads crawl.

The router is in my roommate's room. The console is probably a good 40 feet away from it though (and through 3 walls). Will the bridge pass through the walls?

kabob983 said:
The router is in my roommate's room. The console is probably a good 40 feet away from it though (and through 3 walls). Will the bridge pass through the walls?
why not just get an *actual* wireless networking bridge? Get a 802.11g bridge and a 10/100 5pt switch. Set it up to connect to the router, connect the bridge to the switch, and youll have 4 ports for your consoles.

I had that running until I decided to run cable into my room under carpet. Worked great while it was in use, I just prefer latency of cat5.

This may or may not be relevant to your situation, however it's definitely worth mentioning, and even though I've seen it speckled around the internet, i'm surprised it hasn't hit front pages everywhere..

If you have a Microcenter near you, it is possible for you to take a 360 Premium home for $300+ tax, and have an addition $100 MIR, bringing your cost down to $200+ tax.

You just have to sign-up for the credit card, dump $399 on it, in store when you sign up for it and you get $100 off. Then you just do the MIR.

Now you have saved at least $150 if you account for tax (mine will come out to around $230 after I get my rebate..

This is a freaking substantial amount of savings, enough for games and a spare wireless controller, or say an HD-DVD player add-on, which you could just shove into other console lovers faces..."well I have blu-ray for basically $100 more than a premium console"..."oh yeah, well I have a premium console and the HD-DVD player for $100 less than the cheapest PS3."

If you can get in on this deal, there really is no comparison between consoles, $200+tax for a system that's in stock, with a large library of games, XBL which offers sooo much more than the competition does at this point (and in all honesty I doubt they ever will). Not to mention you go PS3 now, you're basically gonna have to wait it out for a while before you get something that shakes your socks, I've played almost every game PS3 has to offer, and I'm not impressed, I'd rather play Gears of War or Battlefield 2 on my crappy old PC than have the entire library of PS3 games at this point.

And, I'm not a Playstation hater, just not buying a product from a company with it's head up it's collective ass....I've owned and loved the PSX and the PS2. There's too much about this PS3 that just screams "We're fucking you, Love Sony."

This has been mentioned 5 or 6 times already and has been circulating for several weeks...

grey autumn - have you made your decision yet?

Yeah I'd like to know if he made the purchase yet.

99% of the time a OP will ask for advice and never reply which one he got.

360, games, winter lineup, avaibility, hd-dvd, controller, sexyness (yeah sadly I'm really wierd about consoles).

boomheadshot45 said:
360, games, winter lineup, avaibility, hd-dvd, controller, sexyness (yeah sadly I'm really wierd about consoles).

I'm scared to think of what faceplate you have on there lol

I didn't realize that the [H] did a review of the Logitech Play Link already. Seems he was very pleased with it!

Review

Forum

I love my 360. Play it all the time.

I can't make up your mind for you but I would suggest just trying them all out at the stores and keep reading up on them.

It sounds like you are leading towards the PS3. If that is your gut feeling, go with it. I don't think you could go wrong with either system.

"Just my two cents worth."

Hulk said:
grey autumn - have you made your decision yet?

Yeah I'd like to know if he made the purchase yet.

99% of the time a OP will ask for advice and never reply which one he got.

I'm thinking the x360 now at Microcenter. I'll pick up a PS3 later for the media room. Motorstorm is a blast! (even in the old demo that's in the kiosks)I work in Boston anyhow :) Cambridge is just across the river.

Used games just push it over the edge for now.

I've got Christmas and birthday money to use.

What do the different XBL levels mean? I think the gold is fine for me, but work blocks all of the game sites. I run servers, not the network and firewalls.

Thanks all. I've learned over the years that even if these threads are reposts, there's often something of value that comes out of them. I did not know about the MC $100 off 399. I did know about the rebate. That'll save some serious cash. I need to buy a new wireless router anyhow to get the 360 online. Our existing router is supplied by my wife's work and we can't do anything to it.

Back