Why Serious Gamers Won't Go for Wireless Mice

For clarity, I actually have the mini explorer. The full sized one in the link appears to come with a charging station and a internal battery. For $28!!! Wow! I payed $35 in for mine and It was totally worth it.

For clarity, I actually have the mini explorer. The full sized one in the link appears to come with a charging station and a internal battery. For $28!!! Wow! I payed $35 in for mine and It was totally worth it.

I have the mini explorer. That thing is a total piece of crap. I have it on my Win 7 Pro 64 Bit tablet and the scroll wheel is total shit. I thought it was cause I didn't have the actual drivers installed, so I installed the MS drivers. Still has a problem with the scroll wheel. I resorted to a MS Optical mouse. Kind of annoying to have a wired mouse on a tablet, but I can't live with a scroll wheel that has inconsistent scrolling.

I see zero pros for a wireless mouse. It is a device that always remains on a 24" squarish pad, it's not like I'm putting it in my pocket and walking around with it :shrug:.

That said I <3 my logitech wired mice. I've certainly bought a enough of them over the years.

It all comes down to a personal choice based on personal issues... just like someone believes in god.. others dont...There is no right or wrong here... to me.. wireless mice suck... ive had issues with them.. and i dont use them... but i guess an opinion is just all in my head...

Not everyone is as sensitive to the lag as others.

True. I don't play as many hours as some so my sensitivity is likely not as good as others. I did have a Logitech Performance MX mouse on my desk side by side with a Razer DeathAdder and swapping back and forth saw no difference between wired or wireless. But that is me. :)

True. I don't play as many hours as some so my sensitivity is likely not as good as others. I did have a Logitech Performance MX mouse on my desk side by side with a Razer DeathAdder and swapping back and forth saw no difference between wired or wireless. But that is me. :)

I did the same test and noticed quite a difference! But like it's been said, depends on the person. I really did like the scroll wheel on the MX, but now I have a G9, and I love the scroll wheel on that thing, too. Incredible mouse.

Apparently TechRadar missed Logitech's G7 wireless gaming mouse that was put out around 5 years ago.
Like others, I'm not a "serious" gamer, but I never had any problems with dropout and battery swapping was a matter of seconds.

The G7 was one of my favorites, and only got replaced with my 2yr old broke it. My Lachesis now is great but I did love my G7.

The G7 was one of my favorites, and only got replaced with my 2yr old broke it. My Lachesis now is great but I did love my G7.

The G7, great mouse, I have two still but the lack of two thumb buttons sucked. Love my X8, the G7 has a better shape but I love the thumb buttons on the X8. The G700 is looking good, will probably pick one up.

Can't stand wireless kb or mouse. Use them at work and they drive me insane because they randomly dropout.

At home I use an MS Reclusa keyboard and MS Habu mouse. Habu needs to be replaced though as the software isn't fully compatible with Windows 7. I had to jury rig it to start up correctly with Windows and when the computer wakes up from sleep I have to reload my saved config file to get the mouse working how I like it again.

I should take advantage of this thread and ask a question that's been nagging me for awhile. Does anyone have any issues with RF mice and keyboard lagging badly (I'm not talking millisecond lags, I'm talking as if you're trying to wade through quicksand) when using the computer's Bluetooth at the same time? Sometimes when I listen to mp3 music though my laptop's Bluetooth to my hearing aid (which is Bluetooth capable), my RF mouse would be almost unusable.

I have monster hands and piano fingers but the sidewinder isn't just big it is obnoxiously huge. I am trashing mine and picking up a new mouse very very soon.

+1

I tried to like the sidewinder but it is huge. I really noticed this when playing shooters. I replaced it with a G9x. Couldn't be happier.

LOL, I love my Sidewinder, my hands aren't huge, but sit nice and comfortably on it. Love the metal thumb buttons, real easy to tell apart on the fly.

Actually, dimension-wise, the MS sidewinder x8 is no wider, longer, or taller than my Sharkoon Fireglider, RAT7, CM Storm Sentinel Advance, etc... it just looks bulky because of how its rear end is proportioned (makes me thing of the Plymouth Prowler).

The sidewinder is a helmet. It's meant to be worn on someone's head, not a mousepad.

LOL, I love my Sidewinder, my hands aren't huge, but sit nice and comfortably on it. Love the metal thumb buttons, real easy to tell apart on the fly.

I love my Sidewinder. My hands are small. It all depends on how you hold the mouse. I don't molest my mouse with my hands, so the Sidewinder's size isn't all that cumbersome. I wish the side buttons were further back, cause I can't reach them without re-adjusting my hand.

I should take advantage of this thread and ask a question that's been nagging me for awhile. Does anyone have any issues with RF mice and keyboard lagging badly (I'm not talking millisecond lags, I'm talking as if you're trying to wade through quicksand) when using the computer's Bluetooth at the same time? Sometimes when I listen to mp3 music though my laptop's Bluetooth to my hearing aid (which is Bluetooth capable), my RF mouse would be almost unusable.

If they both run on 2.4GHz then there could possibly be some interference issues, but I think there are like 17 channels available, so that doesn't happen. Nevertheless, it might be nice to check what frequency your devices occupy. I don't have the same issue with any of my setups.

I'm a pro gamer and I use a Razer Mamba. This article is now defunct.

My TF2 team placed 2nd in Canada 2008 as an average of the two larges TF2 tournaments in Canada in 2008, Fragapalooza and Lanageddon.

IMO though, the Mamba is the only wireless mouse worth using for pro gaming.

Nice. How many TF2 teams are in Canada? Three?

Hey, that wasn't very nice ...

Typical over-reactive Canadian response! :)

Just joking of course... on topic, I personally don't like wireless mice that much. I don't notice the input delay, but I have seen weird 'jumps' that I don't get with my MX518. My major problem with them (besides that - very rare) is the battery issue. Hate having to find new batteries, or look around for the charging cable.

I still think my MX700 was the best mouse I ever owned. I'm using a cordless logitech wave pro keyboard and mouse now, and ugh. While I like how they feel, the mouse sometimes gets some shittacular lag. I think i might try to revive my MX700, take it apart and replace the charging posts, put some new teflon feet on it, and give her a fresh coat of paint. Maybe someone has a new in box MX700 somewhere, that would be epic.

I play alot of game in my spare time that is..and I have both wired and wireless.(mostly logitech )..it just depends on my mood for the moment..This is a mouse I'm waiting to try out...
looks maybe something to get use to and most reviews so far are favorable. It comes in wired and wireless Cyborg RAT :D

cyborgratgamingmicefrom.jpg

I play alot of game in my spare time that is..and I have both wired and wireless.(mostly logitech )..it just depends on my mood for the moment..This is a mouse I'm waiting to try out...
looks maybe something to get use to and most reviews so far are favorable. It comes in wired and wireless Cyborg RAT :D

<snip>

Looks like one hell of a dirt and grime collector.

anyone know the range of a g700 wireless setup? My comp is in one room, and I use my 67" tv as my monitor in the next. I'd guess it's an almost straight shot 20' distance from gaming seat to comp.

Going to get cancer with all that radiation beaming into your body lol. Wired is fine plus wireless still has lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6vzq00HANs

Radiation, it's not just for nuclear holocausts any more you know.;)

People say wireless mice lag, most non-gaming ones do that I've tried, buy I've have a Logitech G7 and Microsoft Sidewinder X8 and I just don't see ANY lag from them. I simply refuse to use wired mice anymore though technically the X8 a hybrid.

You know, I'd be interested in a review of the Wacom Intuos for gaming purposes.

1. The surface of the tablet is 5080 DPI, which is right up there with gaming mice.
2. The tablet itself is effectively a wired touch pad (which can only track a mouse-shaped implement), which means there's no more input lag than a wired mouse.
3. It's likely going to be more accurate as well, since a tablet can determine absolute position and a mouse has to try and figure out realtive position.
4. You can switch between absolute and relative positioning, which may be helpful in some gaming scenarios.

It seems like the perfect mouse without wires...

I dont use wireless anything for my computers unless Iabsolutely have to (like with a laptop)

The less I ahve to worry about remembering to charge things, or replacing batteries, the better.

I don't like drop out and latency issues either, but that's not my primary concern.

Wires FTW! :p

cyborgratgamingmicefrom.jpg

It certainly looks cool :p

Is it going to try to assimilate my other mice?

anyone know the range of a g700 wireless setup? My comp is in one room, and I use my 67" tv as my monitor in the next. I'd guess it's an almost straight shot 20' distance from gaming seat to comp.

If it's infrared (IR), it'll only go about 8 feet. If it's 2.4 or 5GHz radio frequency (RF) wireless, then it can probably go 30 feet. I have no idea what Bluetooth range is. I assume the same as RF.

Line of sight (LOS) is also required for IR, but not required for RF - within reason of course.

I'm using an X8. Looks great, love the placement of the thumb buttons, feels great in my hand. The fucker doesn't charge though, I've resorted to rechargeable Energizers. That's what I get for buying it refurb through ebay though.

Back