Why Quake Champions Isn't Coming To PS4 And Xbox One

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Even if you don’t care for the upcoming Quake game, it’s interesting to hear an executive agree to something like this. Bethesda could probably water it down for consoles if they wanted to, but they are, shockingly, only catering this one for the master race.

"You know, Quake Champions, maybe anybody else would've been like, 'No, you have to do it, and it's got to work on every platform,'" Hines explained. "We were like, 'No, it's a PC-only thing. It's this kind of game. It's got to have this kind of performance, and it's going to be on PC full stop.' We feel very comfortable in making those calls. "I guess theoretically there's a chance [it could come to consoles]. Who knows what future consoles look like? But this is full stop a PC product: 120Hz, unlocked frame rate. That's the experience we want folks to have."

Its very interesting to hear this, because back in the day, it was ID who was the one who dragged PC gaming into the limelight. Now it looks like they are doing it again. I am all for it.

I absolutely adored Quake 2's multiplayer (LMCTF, Weapons Factory, etc) but I felt nothing at the announcement of Quake Champions. I think it's because Q3A went too far into an arcade/arena/Unreal Tournament type direction, and QC seems to be built on the premise and style of Q3A.

If QC brings back some tactical balance, and if it has game modes similar to LMCTF and WF, then I'll give it a look.

I mean being honest dedicated FPS should be exclusive to PC's. I'm sorry but controllers are absolute shit for aiming and there is a reason why they won't allow PC and console players on the same servers. The few times it happened the console players got utterly shit on because Mouse + Keyboard is just grossly superior for aiming. That said I did enjoy destiny on my PS4, but I obviously didn't participate in the PVP as a result of the controller handicap. It however would of been a far better game on PC.

I enjoy my consoles for platformer's, RPG's and sitting back with friends with party type games. My PC however is designed for games where I want to smash someone's face.

dedicated servers, mod and mapping tools.... I wish I wish I wish I wish.... please please please.

Well, they did release Quake 3 for Dreamcast. It was stuck at 1.17 forever, meaning cross-platform multiplayer was cut early on.

I just hope they bring in everything from Quake Live. There shouldn't be a need for mods like OSP and CPMA to exist.

Most PC players will be watering down the experience on slow hardware and 60Hz monitors. Unless they make the system requirements sky high, they are just talking out their ass and using this as marketing speak.

Hell. Yes. I don't care as much that it's only pc, but this way they are focused on making sure the game is the best it can be. 4k baby!

Well, they did release Quake 3 for Dreamcast. It was stuck at 1.17 forever, meaning cross-platform multiplayer was cut early on.

On the upside K/M was supported on Dreamcast Q3. As such people with controllers got dominated online.

honestly I dont think pure twitch shooters like this are really popular anymore. Keep in mind when quake1 came out the mere concept of a real-time 3d rendered FPS was revolutionary. The game was breaking new ground on all sorts of fronts. We hadnt been exposed to anything like this before, so the mere simplicity of just shooting things on screen was plenty to keep us entertained. But FPS gameplay today has evolved to such levels of strategic complexity we need more than just point and click. I think thats why everything since Quake3 has failed in that format.

honestly I dont think pure twitch shooters like this are really popular anymore.
Yeah, the same way space piloting games weren't popular anymore... except that once Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen went on kickstarter, they received millions upon millions of dollars, because gamers had been hungry for the genre this whole time and it was only the publishers that decided they weren't popular anymore.

But FPS gameplay today has evolved to such levels of strategic complexity we need more than just point and click. I think thats why everything since Quake3 has failed in that format.
So you think UT2004 Onslaught mode didn't have strategic complexity? I think it comes down to good game + marketing muscle, and that's about it. There have been smaller twitch shooters keeping the torch going since then, but major studios haven't really touched the genre. Likely it's specifically BECAUSE this genre only really works on a mouse and keyboard and is severely handicapped on consoles. So yeah, not popular on consoles, likely still as popular as ever on PCs.

This game has wall hacks by design and it looks like they are going for loadouts instead of weapon pickups. 2 very bad ideas for a competitive PC fps.

Back