Why Pirates Failed To Prevent The Avengers' Box Office Record

It's not a double standard. One is clearly illegal; the other isn't.

Aimed at the one you quoted:

Never seen anyone go to jail or any lawsuits filed for bringing M&M's to a theater. Maybe not allowed in or confiscated, but that's it.

Pirating a movie is illegal. Lawsuits will be filed, jail time is possible.

No shitty films hurts shitty films. The family of four is not going to pirate a shitty film just for the sakes of watching it to see how shitty it is. People who pirate every movie out there (including the shitty ones) need to be removed from the equation as far as lost sales.

If anything piracy probably only hurts the non-blockbusters that don't necessarily need a big screen to enjoy, but is enjoyable enough that you want to watch it (just not pay $50 to see it)

I've seen several shitty films that I'm glad I watched. Not worth buying or watching in theaters, but entertaining and not a complete waste of time. Very disappointing, but still a 5/10 or less. Those 1,2,3's are not worth watching and are a waste of time. But, some crappy movies aren't bad. Similar to a lot of made for TV movies. Some aren't that bad. Not great, but not bad.

Pirated movies that are mediocre (which is what I should have used last time) aren't worth watching in theater, but are a definite rental (which is basically what some pirates think they are doing, but with no compensation). I find a lot of movies like that. I wouldn't buy it unless it was on sale or a $10 Blu or whatever. But, I'll rent it and enjoy it. Never would pay to watch it in theater. Some movies are worth a $10 viewing and nothing more. Good movies, but not great. Piracy hurts those films. Don't want to pay $50 to watch it, don't want to wait for the Redbox release... The link is right there, it's so easy. Come on, do it. It's so easy! That's right. <click> There ya go. A few hours later, you're watching a semi decent (some are very good, some are extremely crappy) copy of a movie that was just released to theaters that weekend.

For those who have seen it, how is the dialogue and acting? Should I go in there expecting levels around Iron Man 1 or more along the lines of Thor/Captain America?

I was gonna say...I can explain this in four words: "Cam rips are shitty."

They often have fucked up audio , huge gamma problems , people getting up and walking in front of the cam , people talking/laughing/cheering.

I fucking hate cam rips. I'd rather spend the $9 to see the movie. Want a tip for saving money? Don't fucking buy food at the Movie Theater. Go eat a huge ass meal before hand so you are stuffed and then go watch it. You'll be able to focus on the movie and you won't feel like a moron spending $20 on snacks that will give you the shits later on for a $9 movie.

You want pop corn? Go fucking buy some $3 pop corn and eat it when you come home.

Why more people don't do this is odd.

this was by far the best movie i have seen in a very very long time. why did pirates fail to spoil the box office earnings? this movie screams quality and it proves a point if you make shitty movies you will get shitty returns. if you make a great movie you will get great returns no matter what is floating on the net.

You want pop corn? Go fucking buy some $3 pop corn and eat it when you come home.

Why more people don't do this is odd.

Here is my breakdown in pricing for going to see this movie with my wife.

12:30 PM ticket price $7.50 each = $14 Total
Carmike value bucket refill = $3.50 (its a big ass bucket to and allows refills through 2012)
Large drink to share = $5.50

Total = $23 for a pretty darn good movie

I really don't know why people complain so much, get up early and go see the movie, look for concession deals or coupons and enjoy the big screan. You can save a ton of money of you put in a little effort to do so

Carmike value bucket refill = $3.50 (its a big ass bucket to and allows refills through 2012)

I really don't know why people complain so much, get up early and go see the movie, look for concession deals or coupons and enjoy the big screan. You can save a ton of money of you put in a little effort to do so

Nice prices where you are. Here it's about $10.50 per ticket and I think a large bucket of popcorn is about $8.50 (one refill while you're there, but no multiple refill options like you have). Drinks are at least $5.50 for a large.

Never understood why people have to stuff there fat asses in the movies just watch the damn movie. And go to a early show if the price is too high for you. The Avengers was awsome i went to a marathon event that ran all the movies lasted all day and was quite fun and didnt have to stuff my face the whole time had lunch before the shows started and dinner quick in between the shows latein the evening. The smell of popcorn and the noise of candy bags is enough to make someone go crazy.

For those who have seen it, how is the dialogue and acting? Should I go in there expecting levels around Iron Man 1 or more along the lines of Thor/Captain America?
While no Oscar material the acting is good. Hiddleston, Ruffalo and Downey Jr.'s performances stand out the most. I'd say the dialog is suits the tone of the film with a lot of well placed humor. That being said, nothing beats going out and watching the movie for yourself. Many will say it's worth it.

$18.50 for me here (and that's before 3:00PM after that its $11.25) for tickets for me and my girl. Plus its an extra $6.50 if its in 3D for both of us.

$6.50 for Pop corn (not a bucket)

$6.00 for Soda (not large size)

Just for me to go with my GF is $31. Its hard enough to justify spending $31 for 2 hours and 20 minutes worth of movie when I can buy a game on a Steam sale that will provide me possibly 50+ hours of fun. The only reason I go to the movies is because it makes my other half happy. Otherwise I have no interest in getting ripped off.

Never been one to even ATTEMPT to try to watch a video recorded copy of a movie. I'd much rather pay 10 dollars and see it in person than try to watch that garbage with poor A/V quality.

Same. I care to much about quality.

Never seen anyone go to jail or any lawsuits filed for bringing M&M's to a theater. Maybe not allowed in or confiscated, but that's it.

Give it some time. With some of the asinine laws that they are trying and passing already it won't be too long before bringing your own M&M's to a theater will be illegal. "You want to save jobs in our country, right? Well, we can't have Joe Schmoe bring his own candy in to the theater! That needs to be illegal! They need to pay 10 x retail at the theater for it! Help save jobs! You don't want to be known as the anti-jobs Congressman, do you?"

,,, except the part where he basically admits that he'll pirate a copy of the bluray just so he doesn't have to deal with the issues in theaters?

Shhhh. You weren't suppose to see that.

All kidding aside, this is one move where I'll go to the dollar theater to watch. The last movie I went to watch was Thor. The last full price was Avatar (twice).
One movie I want to see on the big screen is the opening space battle scene from Star Wars 3, actually just want to see that one scene then leave before the rest starts.

One movie I want to see on the big screen is the opening space battle scene from Star Wars 3, actually just want to see that one scene then leave before the rest starts.

Come back for the final lightsaber fight. That's good on the big screen too.

While no Oscar material the acting is good. Hiddleston, Ruffalo and Downey Jr.'s performances stand out the most. I'd say the dialog is suits the tone of the film with a lot of well placed humor. That being said, nothing beats going out and watching the movie for yourself. Many will say it's worth it.

Yeah, well, I would not have felt bad had I only seen Thor or Captain America on blu-ray. Action is great and all but if it doesn't have something half-way decent to go with it I lose interest quickly, and if the rest is just awful, I just stop watching it (for example, every Transformer movie ever made).

pirates who are willing to sit through and watch such a shitty rip have no money to go to the theater anyway.
so piracy has minimal damage effect.

given the quality of vids on youtube and pretty much everything, I think we all like watch videos with high quality. It just that we have a higher standard compared to before. HD ftw? ;)

I really want to go to the movie theater but sitting in my Movie Theater in my basement is much more enjoyable, ill wait for the Blu-Ray but its going to be very Hard.

Perhaps everyone who pirated the movie thought it was so kick-ass that they went and saw it at the theater. I sat through a 15 hour Avengers marathon (all 6 current films) for the midnight release and it was freaking epic. I'd be willing to pay for another admission just to see it with different friends.

Piracy for me has only ever enhanced the desire to own something by giving me valuable demo time with it. I got the pre-screening version of V for Vendetta when it was still in theaters and still ended up picking up the special edition DVD when it was released, and I saw it twice in theaters.

The well placed humor wasn't expected. One character, stand out in particular. I won't mention the name, but oh boy was a jerk. :)

Same. I care to much about quality.
Same here.

I refused to watch Les Miserables for a year because I couldn't find it in HD.
It was a great movie but as soon as it's released in HD I'm tossing my gf's DVD in the trash.

and to clarify before someone reports me for piracy I'm talking about the inability to find it for *purchase*
http://www.amazon.com/Les-Misérables-Blu-ray-Hugh-Jackman/dp/B005S9EKCW

I'm pretty excited to hear all this good stuff about Avengers because I have a feeling my gf is going to want to see this one in the theater instead of waiting until the bluray is released.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bet most of those pirates who saw the cam ended up going to see the movie anyways.

Though I'd skip the 3D part... it didn't really add much to the film, seemed a bit tacked on and non-immersive... the fact remains that it is actually a very good superhero film.

Might be one of the best that I've seen, though I'd still rank it behind Superman 78, then Batman 89, then The Dark Knight, but it's the best of the Marvel releases by FAR.

Bet most of those pirates who saw the cam ended up going to see the movie anyways.

Though I'd skip the 3D part... it didn't really add much to the film, seemed a bit tacked on and non-immersive... the fact remains that it is actually a very good superhero film.

Might be one of the best that I've seen, though I'd still rank it behind Superman 78, then Batman 89, then The Dark Knight, but it's the best of the Marvel releases by FAR.
Better than X-Men by far or where would you rank it including those?

Better than X-Men by far or where would you rank it including those?
The original X-Men film would be #5 on my list... the sequels I didn't like so much, and the Wolverine and New Class spinoffs are further down, as well.

Mm, Spiderman #1 after X-Men... tsk, can't edit my own post. Damn I should've just written down the whole top ten while I was at it.

,,, except the part where he basically admits that he'll pirate a copy of the bluray just so he doesn't have to deal with the issues in theaters?

Correct. In my excitement to share in the hatred for the great teaming unwashed masses, I seem to have overlooked the pirating part. :D

My bad. I do not condone pirating.

I didn't pirate it, went to the non 3D matinee, paid $8 for the seat.

Got my moneys worth. Would watch again.

Hollywood, the secret is not that piracy is killing out, its that shitty movies kill you.

Make kick ass movies, people pay to watch, make shit, nobody does. Its not rocket science.

Had to buy the 3-D ticket since regular sold out (great in a newly renovated theater :D)

The movie was crafted to be a solid summer blockbuster. It wasn't ground breaking, and didn't try to finesse anything, but managed to get everything "just right." It was such a solid B superhero film that the popularity curve bumped it to an A.

But yeah, Hollywood and the recording industry need to take note: don't just toss any old shit out there and complain that it doesn't sell well due to pirating. If you want to make good profits, only invest in acts that are good, not just anything and everyone and hope for the best. Not everything will be a smash hit, so invest wisely.

I agree with most of those negatives, but there were enough genuinely witty and funny lines that made it pretty good. Movie needed a trip to the editor, though. Too much empty dialogue and I felt like I was being bludgeoned with CGI. I skipped the Michael Bay "Transformers" trash, so I can't compare. They should have developed all of the character's backgrounds. Having never read comic books, I really know nothing about Captain America. Instead it was fight with Thor/Iron Man, fight with Thor/Hulk, fight with Hawk(?)/Black Widow, etc. Asskicking is great, but how did they get to be such badasses?

Back