Why People Are Giving Up On The Apple Watch

This is why I'm still wearing mine after getting it in June. It's pretty handy for things like this. That and as a result my battery life on my phone is up significantly. it's about ease of access to my company email, texts/messages, and all that. It's to augment what you have not replace it.

It's more about the ease of getting those notifications.

When I'm driving, I just have to rotate my wrist to see a message...also don't have to worry about phantom phone vibrations.

If I'm working in the garage I can set my phone in a safe place, but still get messages.

If I'm charging the phone, the watch will pick up messages from just about anywhere in the house (which surprised me).

I can change songs while in the shower :D

I can change songs while mowing the yard without having to get out my phone.

If I get a text during a meeting, I can very discretely look at my watch rather then pull out my cell phone.

It's just lots of little stuff like that.

I'm not looking for Maps or games or the Internet...I'm not even looking for Dick Tracey calls. But just having some amount of utility is handy.

Don't hate on the fitbit, that thing is great for lazy people as it motivates you to do something when you see actual numbers.

Lazy people? Or perhaps it is more difficult for some to get motivated than others? Should I say because I could probably kick your butt in any foot race from one mile and above that you are lazy? Get real, I think those who are actually doing something, no matter what it takes, are far more motivated than most around here by the looks of it. :cool:

I still use the 1st gen Moto 360, I frequent the bar and have no issues whatsoever. I also don't live on my phone or watch. The watch is great for the time of course and checking messages. I don't use apps on it. That is what my phone is for. Not sure what would be so different about the Apple Watch that makes things so difficult.

Verge is totally right though. It's a gimmicky fad and in the vast majority of cases, people will just stop using them after a little while just like all the exercise equipment they buy and never use, but say is a motivational thing. People who are in shape go out to exercise regularly so they don't turn into moo-moo piggy butts or spare tire tummy football fans. Getting and staying fit isn't stuff that happens because you bought a stupid looking wrist toy. It takes getting a icky and sweaty and doing exercising stuff even if you don't feel like it.

You either get motivated or you don't. Most people get fat because they're too busy and unmotivated with life and just overall don't care. I ended buying one for myself because I wanted to see just how little excercise I get over the course of a work day. I started inputting my caloric intake and measuring it up with my fitbit which does this automatically. If you stop using it it's for one of two reasons. You once again lost motivation or you've created a habit for yourself of getting in shape that you no longer need it. I stopped wearing mine after 6 months because I started making progress and began going to the gym regularly. It definitely gave me a boost in confidence seeing the numbers and how well I was doing. But like I said it's not for everyone but it's great to see there are options out there that can help.

Lazy people? Or perhaps it is more difficult for some to get motivated than others? Should I say because I could probably kick your butt in any foot race from one mile and above that you are lazy? Get real, I think those who are actually doing something, no matter what it takes, are far more motivated than most around here by the looks of it. :cool:

Uh yes? Being lazy and lacking motivation are essentially one in the same, I am in the same boat so don't just to conclusions.

When I'm driving, I just have to rotate my wrist to see a message...also don't have to worry about phantom phone vibrations.

If I'm working in the garage I can set my phone in a safe place, but still get messages.

If I'm charging the phone, the watch will pick up messages from just about anywhere in the house (which surprised me).

If I get a text during a meeting, I can very discretely look at my watch rather then pull out my cell phone.

I'm not looking for Maps or games or the Internet...I'm not even looking for Dick Tracey calls. But just having some amount of utility is handy.

You sir hit the nail on the head when it comes to smartwatches. This article is about Apple Watch but I'd bet the entire smartwatch market is like this.

Smartwatches aren't revolutionary. They aren't life changing. They're simply a little niche market device that makes a very limited number of small things easier for some people.

I love my Sony SW3 but if it died today I wouldn't be running to the store to replace it.

I

When you are driving, just drive. Dont look at messages, nothing is more important than the activity you are currently engaged in. It can wait.

Yeah, but the problem is they're probably walking to a pizzaria, Mcdonalds, Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Or just the office break room to grab the last piece of cake.

That's a diet problem. 3 miles a day is not bad, especially if they're obese....that extra weight means extra calories are burned (I think).

Verge is totally right though. It's a gimmicky fad and in the vast majority of cases, people will just stop using them after a little while just like all the exercise equipment they buy and never use, but say is a motivational thing. People who are in shape go out to exercise regularly so they don't turn into moo-moo piggy butts or spare tire tummy football fans. Getting and staying fit isn't stuff that happens because you bought a stupid looking wrist toy. It takes getting a icky and sweaty and doing exercising stuff even if you don't feel like it.

What the fitbits do for people that exercise regularly is give them a baseline for how active they are day to day. I always seriously underestimated my activity level until i bought a vivofit and monitored for a couple months. I found its real easy to starve yourself when dieting when you dont really have to if you have a better idea of your activity level + your BMR you can more accurately set goals for yourself.

Its just a tool. One that anybody can use wrong or right. Personally i dont get those that wear it 365 days a year but i guess some need motivation.

If it doesn't have standalone cellular capability untethered from phone then it's wasted wrist space.

If it doesn't have standalone cellular capability untethered from phone then it's wasted wrist space.

I don't completely disagree, but do you really want to pay for a wireless subscription on your watch? To argue the other side, why do I need cellular built in? If I'm at home, or work, I've got wifi. If I'm on the road, I've always got my phone with me.

Unless you're arguing that people want a watch and don't want a cell phone at all (and I don't think that's the case), it really doesn't matter.

Either way, I still don't see why I'd want a smart watch. That may change in a few years.

I don't completely disagree, but do you really want to pay for a wireless subscription on your watch? To argue the other side, why do I need cellular built in? If I'm at home, or work, I've got wifi. If I'm on the road, I've always got my phone with me.

Unless you're arguing that people want a watch and don't want a cell phone at all (and I don't think that's the case), it really doesn't matter.

Either way, I still don't see why I'd want a smart watch. That may change in a few years.

I'm not into jewelry and body accessories so it has to have significant usability for me to spend money on it and to take up space on my body. Where a cellular smartwatch is useful is in situations where I can't nor want to carry a phone such as fitness, dance, etc. Service plan cost isn't an issue since it's like $5 extra on Verizon and Tmobile. So, something like Apple Watch is a useless accessory whereas something like the Gear S2 I would seriously consider.

Once you get into they are completely useless. To get even close to accurate for runs you have to have gps, so you need the giant "surge." But wait, how do you play music on this thing? Oh shit you can't, so you have to bring your damn iPhone along anyway to connect to you Bluetooth headphones, so what is the frigging purpose of that device?

I agree. I still use my Moto V3 RAZR because I use a phone to make phone calls. If I could make calls from just a watch sized device maybe I would switch to one, and especially if it could be made like a pocket watch. I have never had a need for a phone to do anything more than make a call so have never even thought about getting a smart phone. The smaller and less intrusive a device can be the better for me.

I might even be tempted to give up my 100+ year old pocket watch I still carry if I could replace it and my phone with a pocket watch phone. (stopped wearing a wristwatch because they got in the way when working in the lab)

You have a very good point and I agree!

Is it better than them sitting at a desk? Even adding a
few thousand steps a day because they are more aware of it is better. I don't think they are expecting to get into shape, but they are getting more active.... Some fat people just can't win... They finally get some exercise, and it's still not enough.

Because most people realize wearable tech like smart watches and smart glasses are pointless. Your phone already does everything, why do i need a separate screen on my wrist to tell me the time or who texted me.
If your phone already does everything, why do people by iPads either?

Just making a point.

More useless crap from crApple.

If your phone already does everything, why do people by iPads either?

Just making a point.

More useless crap from crApple.

Meanwhile tablets are hurting PC sales and are absolutely perfect for your typical joe blow who watches youtube, checks email and surfs the web as a computer replacement. Tablets are far from useless. Also how is this an apple bash when they where like the the last to market with a smart watch?

I agree. I still use my Moto V3 RAZR because I use a phone to make phone calls. If I could make calls from just a watch sized device maybe I would switch to one, and especially if it could be made like a pocket watch. I have never had a need for a phone to do anything more than make a call so have never even thought about getting a smart phone. The smaller and less intrusive a device can be the better for me.

I might even be tempted to give up my 100+ year old pocket watch I still carry if I could replace it and my phone with a pocket watch phone. (stopped wearing a wristwatch because they got in the way when working in the lab)

You know you're old when you write about making calls on a phone.

That's good. You have a smart watch so you found out its usefulness. I'm not sure what brand of smart watch you have, but I guess a waterproof one if you use it in the shower. Are the Apple SWs waterproof? Just mentioning Apple since the thread did.

If a smart watch could fully replace a FitBit, then I could see some value in it. But I don't know if smart watches can tell you how well you slept or act as a pedometer.

That's good. You have a smart watch so you found out its usefulness. I'm not sure what brand of smart watch you have, but I guess a waterproof one if you use it in the shower. Are the Apple SWs waterproof? Just mentioning Apple since the thread did.

If a smart watch could fully replace a FitBit, then I could see some value in it. But I don't know if smart watches can tell you how well you slept or act as a pedometer.

It'd only have to be water resistant and all of these devices have to be able to withstand a rain storm or reviews would kill the products reputation. In the case of the apple watch, there apparently is a guy that same 1200 meters with one before doing some high diving and a simulated 40 meter dive. He had no issues.

Seems you are pretty outdated in your info. There are smart watches that do everything a fitbit surge does and then some. Pedometer, heart rate monitor etc. The sleep monitor on these things is a useless feature. Its just the pedometer picking up movement when you slept. This dont really tell you anything of value. that is unless you think knowing how much your arm moved while you slept can tell you something.

Yep, I am 48 as well. I remember rotary phones, party lines and record players when I was a kid. :D

I'll be 48 this coming May and remember these things well. There were wide use until we were teenagers. CD players where just becoming affordable as I was a senior in HS.

People are giving up not because its an Apple Watch, but because its a piece of tech that is way overpriced. For example, if Apple charged $300 for their stainless steel 42mm model - I would buy it. I would also buy it if the watch wasnt a square.

I cant say enough how much I love Gear S2 design, but I cant really use it because I use an iPhone. I also use a FitBitHR which makes any wearable a hard sell for me.

At the end of the day the wearables are overpriced. Smartwatches are simply an extension to your smartphone, but they are pricing the watch as if its meant to replace your phone. There is simply no reason to charge so much for a stainless case that has been polished.

People are giving up not because its an Apple Watch, but because its a piece of tech that is way overpriced. For example, if Apple charged $300 for their stainless steel 42mm model - I would buy it. I would also buy it if the watch wasnt a square.

I cant say enough how much I love Gear S2 design, but I cant really use it because I use an iPhone. I also use a FitBitHR which makes any wearable a hard sell for me.

At the end of the day the wearables are overpriced. Smartwatches are simply an extension to your smartphone, but they are pricing the watch as if its meant to replace your phone. There is simply no reason to charge so much for a stainless case that has been polished.

I don't know if that's a price that Apple would make money on (if you included R&D and other costs, beyond the h/w itself), but I generally agree that that's a price I'd pay for this one, which probably means it's too low (because I'm cheap and don't really want V1 of any tech device).

I'll just keep saying, let's see what version 3 or 4 brings us. For now, I just don't see the value, even if it was $300 (though at the price, it might be closer to buying an pricey toy).

I had the luxury of trying several as part of my job. I ended up with the LG Urbane It looks like a classic watch. I get a lot of compliments on its looks. People are actually startled when I get an email or text notification since the watches appearance is more of a traditional look.

Another bad thing about the iWatch is not only do you need an iphone but you need a specific model. I know someone who got a free one and it's 100% useless to him because it does not do anything because he does not have the right phone. It's bad enough that this stuff is not standardized to work across all platforms but even worse when it does not even work on all models of a specific platform.

Another bad thing about the iWatch is not only do you need an iphone but you need a specific model. I know someone who got a free one and it's 100% useless to him because it does not do anything because he does not have the right phone. It's bad enough that this stuff is not standardized to work across all platforms but even worse when it does not even work on all models of a specific platform.

Sure, but people who spend insane amounts on a watch probably have a recent iPhone..especially since it's a G1 watch. I hope we get to the point where these watches will work with any phone (or better still with no phone at all), but it's apple, and they've always been a highly integrated vertical company.

Seems you are pretty outdated in your info. There are smart watches that do everything a fitbit surge does and then some. Pedometer, heart rate monitor etc. The sleep monitor on these things is a useless feature. Its just the pedometer picking up movement when you slept. This dont really tell you anything of value. that is unless you think knowing how much your arm moved while you slept can tell you something.
How accurate is the heart rate monitor for these smart watches? A couple friends who have Fit Bit that have this feature say it's crap. The only reliable ones seem to be those Polar devices that hug one's chest.

I guess tracking your sleep can be equated by how much you toss and turn during the night. And if tied to heart rate monitor, perhaps the slower the pulse, the deeper the sleep?

In any case, the battery life of at least the Apple Watch sucks. Smart watches in general need to recharge via kinetic and/or solar and/or thermal energy.

How accurate is the heart rate monitor for these smart watches? A couple friends who have Fit Bit that have this feature say it's crap. The only reliable ones seem to be those Polar devices that hug one's chest.

I guess tracking your sleep can be equated by how much you toss and turn during the night. And if tied to heart rate monitor, perhaps the slower the pulse, the deeper the sleep?

In any case, the battery life of at least the Apple Watch sucks. Smart watches in general need to recharge via kinetic and/or solar and/or thermal energy.

From what i have heard its not a bad monitor, nothing beats a chest strap but those suck to wear.

I highly doubt we will see solar or kinetic smart watches. The amount of power they use would just make it a waste of space.

From what i have heard its not a bad monitor, nothing beats a chest strap but those suck to wear.

I highly doubt we will see solar or kinetic smart watches. The amount of power they use would just make it a waste of space.
True about the chest straps being a PITA to wear.

Well about the kinetic power part. I have a Seiko dress watch whose battery doesn't need to be replaced b/c it runs on kinetic power; the swinging of my wrists. Now obviously that uses a lot less power than a smart watch would. But maybe there's a way that someone can devise a way to implement that kind of tech on a smart watch. Maybe the tech hasn't caught up yet, but if/when it does, imagine never having to recharge a smart watch b/c it's automatically and constantly being recharged as the user swings his arm. :cool:

True about the chest straps being a PITA to wear.

Well about the kinetic power part. I have a Seiko dress watch whose battery doesn't need to be replaced b/c it runs on kinetic power; the swinging of my wrists. Now obviously that uses a lot less power than a smart watch would. But maybe there's a way that someone can devise a way to implement that kind of tech on a smart watch. Maybe the tech hasn't caught up yet, but if/when it does, imagine never having to recharge a smart watch b/c it's automatically and constantly being recharged as the user swings his arm. :cool:

I have a Seiko kinetic as well i have had a couple, one i popped open after my kids broke it and its basically a weight attached to the movement that swings around and winds it up just like the old school watches that you had to wind up every so often.

I think you are way underplaying it when you say it uses a lot less power. :p The amount of power a smartwatch uses in a single day is more than 10 wristwatches like that will use in your entire lifetime.

That pretty much sums it up. At the prices Apple is asking it is trying to compete with luxury watches and it isn't a luxury watch by any stretch. Smart watches are neat little pieces of tech, they are just too limited, terribly designed and badly overpriced.

That pretty much sums it up. At the prices Apple is asking it is trying to compete with luxury watches and it isn't a luxury watch by any stretch. Smart watches are neat little pieces of tech, they are just too limited, terribly designed and badly overpriced.

If you think luxury watches are $250-$350 you dont have the slightest clue what a luxury watch is.

Back