why pay $320 on a 512GB USB flash drive when you can get a MS90 encloseure + m.2 ssd?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I picked up a PNY Pro Elite 512GB stick for $200 on Amazon.

Last edited:
I bought a Corsair returned Flash Voyages GS (the 300MB/s one) 512GB drive for 95 bucks during their 20% off refurb sale.

Agreed that's always been the way to do it. Though "good" sticks have been getting far better in the recent years.

Agreed that's always been the way to do it. Though "good" sticks have been getting far better in the recent years.

I bought a metal version of Data Traveller from Kingston years ago, 32 GB. At first, I can plug it to USB 3.0 port, in the last year, it can only be recognized on some brand new machine (antec P100 case) on the USB 2.0 port, but on USB 3.0 port, I got error, all those brand new cases are not seeing it at USB 3.0 port.

On top of that, this is the $323 HyperX from kingston:

http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/personal_business/hxs3

what does "USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0) functionality" means in English? and did they pay good lawyer to write this?

it sounds like they are saying for $323, I am only getting USB 3.0 speed, in fact, when you click "Specification", it actually said that:

Speed: USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0)

what does that really means?

w/ Silverstone, I'm getting USB 3.1 speed, that much I know

I have a quick question, at anatech, they have an old article that said SSD has to be powered at all time, if not you can lose all the content of the drive after x amt. of time. Is that still true?

because if we insert a SSD in a Silverstone case, and say you backup once every 2 weeks or every mth., what happens to the other time when you are not connect the SSD inside the USB, could you lost all your data?

I bought a metal version of Data Traveller from Kingston years ago, 32 GB. At first, I can plug it to USB 3.0 port, in the last year, it can only be recognized on some brand new machine (antec P100 case) on the USB 2.0 port, but on USB 3.0 port, I got error, all those brand new cases are not seeing it at USB 3.0 port.

On top of that, this is the $323 HyperX from kingston:

http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/personal_business/hxs3

what does "USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0) functionality" means in English? and did they pay good lawyer to write this?

it sounds like they are saying for $323, I am only getting USB 3.0 speed, in fact, when you click "Specification", it actually said that:

Speed: USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0)

what does that really means?

w/ Silverstone, I'm getting USB 3.1 speed, that much I know

"USB 3.0" was retroactively renamed "USB 3.1 Gen 1" when the 3.1 spec was released. So you're getting 5Gbps. If you want 10Gbps, then you need USB 3.1 Gen 2. That means you'd have to check if the Silverstone enclosure is Gen 1 (5Gbps) or Gen 2 (10 Gbps). You would also need to make sure your motherboard uses 3.1 Gen 2 for the faster speed.

I have a quick question, at anatech, they have an old article that said SSD has to be powered at all time, if not you can lose all the content of the drive after x amt. of time. Is that still true?

because if we insert a SSD in a Silverstone case, and say you backup once every 2 weeks or every mth., what happens to the other time when you are not connect the SSD inside the USB, could you lost all your data?

This was apparently a misunderstanding of a presentation about behavior of drives that were at the end of their useful lives after being used in data centers. Not something a normal user would have to worry about.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/292...nt-lose-data-if-left-unplugged-after-all.html

Last edited:
Not really much use for me. I use such things for data recovery and transfer. I can see that thing running at 400KBps for 80% of the time. :D

As long as it can do around 80MBps write that's all that's needed.

I have a 420MBps 128GB Lexar that is about as exotic as I've bothered.

He said "having your entire game library literally in your pocket" They have 9tb m.2's?

Some years ago I got used 256gb SSDs for $35 each in trading forums. I am still using them, one as internal drive and one as external portable drive.
I can never bring myself to pay $320 or even $190 for a 512GB USB flash drive or any drive.

Back