Why now is the time to play Planetside 2

This guy does a descent job explaining why now is a great time to play Planetside 2. Probably one of the best "Free to Play" games out there in the sense that even brand new players can be every competitive. It's free, there is nothing like it, come try it out!

Last edited:
Hmm...maybe I will give it another try. As a HUGE fan of the original Planetside, I found Planetside 2 a letdown at launch and when I came back six+ months afterward. It lacked a ton of content compared to the original (including BFRs, which I happened to enjoy), but it seems that some of it has finally come back like ANTs and silos, so that's good....I wonder if hacking and an advanced infiltration suit are now finally in place. However, the one thing not mentioned in the video that turned me off the most about PS2 was its leveling and weapon unlock system. The original Planetside was a subscription title where you gained more Battle Points as you leveled up. Each set of weapon unlocks and skills were put into a category and based on a talent tree, so your level only really allowed you to "cert" more things at once, not WHAT you could cert. For instance, a BR7 could max out the combat medic tree and pick up medium armor. A BR20 could max out combat medic, pick up a few points in hacking, and maybe piloting a vehicle or two. Of course, you had an inventory and every vehicle and weapon had size restrictions so even if you could spec into it (like heavy infantry armor or MAX robo suits) it didn't mean you could fly a scout craft while wearing these. Planetside 2 on the other hand was set up as a Free to Play system, which made it take a long time to gain enough credits to unlock individual weapons which either lasted for days, or permanently . Overall the system both felt more F2P punitive (encouraging you to just bloody pay for it, not to mention spend your money on cosmetics) and didn't offer as much compared to the original. Lastly, it was probably nitpicking but I always loved how the original Planetside had a little animation for you getting into every vehicle (during which you could be attacked), where as PS2 had battlefield-style "press E, pop into the cockpit instantly).

The Original Planetside was probably the most fun I had in an online first person shooter and its a pity the second fell short, but I'd be willing to give it another try and see what progress has been made.

Hmm...maybe I will give it another try. As a HUGE fan of the original Planetside, I found Planetside 2 a letdown at launch and when I came back six+ months afterward. It lacked a ton of content compared to the original (including BFRs, which I happened to enjoy), but it seems that some of it has finally come back like ANTs and silos, so that's good....I wonder if hacking and an advanced infiltration suit are now finally in place. However, the one thing not mentioned in the video that turned me off the most about PS2 was its leveling and weapon unlock system. The original Planetside was a subscription title where you gained more Battle Points as you leveled up. Each set of weapon unlocks and skills were put into a category and based on a talent tree, so your level only really allowed you to "cert" more things at once, not WHAT you could cert. For instance, a BR7 could max out the combat medic tree and pick up medium armor. A BR20 could max out combat medic, pick up a few points in hacking, and maybe piloting a vehicle or two. Of course, you had an inventory and every vehicle and weapon had size restrictions so even if you could spec into it (like heavy infantry armor or MAX robo suits) it didn't mean you could fly a scout craft while wearing these. Planetside 2 on the other hand was set up as a Free to Play system, which made it take a long time to gain enough credits to unlock individual weapons which either lasted for days, or permanently . Overall the system both felt more F2P punitive (encouraging you to just bloody pay for it, not to mention spend your money on cosmetics) and didn't offer as much compared to the original. Lastly, it was probably nitpicking but I always loved how the original Planetside had a little animation for you getting into every vehicle (during which you could be attacked), where as PS2 had battlefield-style "press E, pop into the cockpit instantly).

The Original Planetside was probably the most fun I had in an online first person shooter and its a pity the second fell short, but I'd be willing to give it another try and see what progress has been made.

I only played Planetside 1 for a few months but jumped on PS2 during the beta, and generally I had the same feeling as you did and stopped playing after 6 months. Went back to the game in 2014 and even back then PS was completely different from launch. Lots more content; new vehicles, weapons, bases, point system, even a new continent. It is much easier to earn certs, I remember back during launch how much of a grind it felt to make any good number of certs. New players get a cert bonus for the first 15 BattleRanks and once you hit BR15 you have the option to get back all the certs you've spent and redo your certifications. Cert system is generally the same, your level allows you to cert different things at once, but not what you can cert. If from the beginning you decide to only cert your Medic by BR 15 you can have a pretty full certed medic using the gun of your choice, which by the way is probably the best beginner route for fast certs. I got up to BR 90 before I put in a single $, and I only did because I enjoy the game. Best way to really get the full expirence is to find a good group to play with. This is a MMO after all and really is a team based game.

Last edited:
Nah I'm Done with the Game was fun trying to Take the Crown Over as a Vanu sovereignty

I signed up for a month (i've been considering giving official EverQuest servers a try again so it isn't a waste for me to grab All Access and get the full experience) and just installed. I haven't actually dropped into the game yet, but there have been many changes it seems. Couple of questions. First, I'm on Ultra graphic detail and does anyone feel like thee Vanu uniforms seem kinda...blurry or low res? Just them, not the others...but on login/char creation and the character equip screen it seems that the VS characters seem off; I don't remember them seeming blurry compared to others, like even in the "gray" areas of the suit it doesn't seem to be detailed the way it used to be. Next, have they removed the "home bases" for each faction? I remember there used to be an original base where you could train and try out different weapons, get your bearings etc?

Maybe I'll make a new character on TR to get the new player starting experience, as my launch era character (and my PS1 faction of choice) is Vanu Sovereignty. Speaking of Vanu, anyone who wants to give PS2 a try or is coming back as Vanu, I was surprised to see my old outfit - Ghosts of the Revolution - still in action. They were a great group, so if I stay I'll probably join up with them again.

I play Vanu too and no, low res on them is not normal. I would try validating your files and checking if the texture setting is set to Ultra. There is VR Training, where everything is unlocked to try out. You can access it from any warpgate warp terminal. They have also included a small continent called Koytar or something like that for people BR15 and under. I believe there is an extra bonus for playing there while starting out on a new character.

What server do you play on?

Ahh thanks. I'll try both checking the game cache on Steam, and on the PS2 Launcher. Kyotar, hm? I saw two of them in my drop down.... I wonder if my old, launch era character can go there if he is only BR7. Sanctuaries I guess were something I remember from original Planetside; I do kind of wish they were included in PS2, but maybe now with construction it won't be so bad. Are there any "Home" continents, either permanent or temporary, for each faction? I play on Emerald / US East primarily. I could play on US West too but I don't yet have a character there.

Bumping this. Played it all weekend. Had fun. You need to play in a squad or platoon for the best experience. Playing solo is fun too. You just have to be good at finding the best fights. I do not enjoy attacking biolabs for example. So I will look elsewhere if things get grindy. The game is so big that there is always an opportunity to seriously pee in someone's Cheerios. I love finding that spot or tactic that gets me a big kill. Dropping that c4. Light assault is so fun on certain maps. Try it. For a free game it rules. Oh and the fps does drop in big fights. Don't even try to play with high graphics settings.

I play it time to time. Indeed it is a nice shooter for a change. Huge one :)

I sunk 100+ hours in again but it needs a graphics overhaul or Planetside 3

It's a fun game and worth playing if you haven't played it before..

But I still think it was a huge let down from PS1. There are so many gameplay/map design choices in PS2 that make it an inferior game to PS1.

I spend lots of hours playing at the Crown as a Vanu trying to take over the crown then had a blast using the anti aircraft stuff from a Heavy solider took down a few planes that way.
I really like the sound when you would blow something up and add XP to your level decent game but unless you play on console it's kinda like a big Sandbox MMO I went back for a while when the new area opened up but it just wasn't as fun.

I sunk 100+ hours in again but it needs a graphics overhaul or Planetside 3

It needs what it's always needed ....... a return to the original Planetside style ........ and a license and remake for Warhammer 40K (y)

Back