Why not sony?

For that particular type of laptop:
1) it's $2500 for a P-M 1.2GHz
2) it has integrated graphics (Intel Extreme Graphics 2)
3) it has a tiny screen (10.8") and keyboard

I've never seen anyone use one of those really tiny 3lb laptops out in the wild. It must be more of a Japanese thing.

Unless you need to put a laptop in your purse ;), stepping up to 4-5 lbs gets a thin and light laptop like a ThinkPad T42 with dedicated video, a faster CPU, longer battery life, a larger screen and a usable keyboard... at almost 1/2 the price.

I have a Sony Vaio T140 (same model and looks, just no GPRS antenna) and I love it. One of the best laptops I have worked on/owned.

Bought mine from newegg for $1400.

My guess is that:

1. They tend to be expensive, and a lot of [H] members are teenagers--still living with mom, don't have jobs, etc.
2. A lot of [H] members are gamers, and most ultraportables don't appeal to gamers.
3. There is very little tweaking and upgrading potential, which doesn't interest the modding crowd.
4. For many other purposes, they are not very cost-effective or appealing whatsoever.

Out of my personal experience.

1.) Sony support sucks
2.) Reinstalling over the OEM OS is a pain.
3.) Drivers are not always readily available online for their systems.
4.) Generally pay a premium
5.) Sony support sucks.
6.) Loaded with a lot of dumb required apps (sony auto update, all kinds of media apps, etc) This also goes back to reloading the OS not being so simple.

Edit: I guess maybe I should elaborate. I decided to toss Windows XP Pro on instead of home. Deleted the restore partition thinking "hey, what manufacturer doesn't provide drivers online???" Well apparently Sony. I called for support and sat on hold for roughly an hour, only to be told that the restore DVD would be $30 with shipping. Since I didn't have many other options, and I couldn't return it (not mine), I paid the $30.

The next day I received a notice saying the DVD was backordered and wasn't expected to ship for another month. At that point I grabbed some blank DVD's and went to Best Buy. After speaking to a manager I was able to get ahold of the same laptop and burn a restore disc. Only took about 2-3 hours standing around in Best Buy... :rolleyes:

The final product was still loaded with all the junk apps they make you use.

JonR800 said:
Out of my personal experience.

1.) Sony support sucks
2.) Reinstalling over the OEM OS is a pain.
3.) Drivers are not always readily available online for their systems.
4.) Generally pay a premium
5.) Sony support sucks.
6.) Loaded with a lot of dumb required apps (sony auto update, all kinds of media apps, etc) This also goes back to reloading the OS not being so simple.

Edit: I guess maybe I should elaborate. I decided to toss Windows XP Pro on instead of home. Deleted the restore partition thinking "hey, what manufacturer doesn't provide drivers online???" Well apparently Sony. I called for support and sat on hold for roughly an hour, only to be told that the restore DVD would be $30 with shipping. Since I didn't have many other options, and I couldn't return it (not mine), I paid the $30.

The next day I received a notice saying the DVD was backordered and wasn't expected to ship for another month. At that point I grabbed some blank DVD's and went to Best Buy. After speaking to a manager I was able to get ahold of the same laptop and burn a restore disc. Only took about 2-3 hours standing around in Best Buy... :rolleyes:

The final product was still loaded with all the junk apps they make you use.

I own the Sony Vaio S2XP and it is the best laptop i have ever owned. some of your points are just plain stupid and misleading.

1. The drivers for all sony laptopps are readily available on the sony support site.
2. When you make your backup discs and delete your backup partition it is not so hard to reinstall, you just put your first backup disc in, switch the machine on then click next etc, dead easy, and if you really dont want to install all the extra software where it says "please insert the second disc if you want to install the 3rd party applications" then dont!!

The s2XP has stellar performance for its size, it can run any game out today ie halflife 2 at high detail at 1280x800. battery life is great, screen is the best i have seen with the 13.3" xblack screen. i got the docking station with mine so i could hook up to my sony 19" screen/wireless keyboard and mouse/PSP/NWHD1 MP3 Player. Its an ultraportable powerhouse and ill probably stick to vaio from now on!

I can tell you, that laptop thats shown there is AWSOME. MY doctor has it, and its beautiful and super light. I compared it to my 700m and my 700m is huge compared to it. The size of the keyboard on it isn't so bad either. I can type full speed on it. If u compare that to a 700m, its like comparing a 700m to a 17" widescreen. Its also very light, considering it has a cd-rom drive. Sure the price is expensive, but if u can afford it, thats the smallest fully functional notebook out there. (I believe but i may be wrong)

Rash said:
I own the Sony Vaio S2XP and it is the best laptop i have ever owned. some of your points are just plain stupid and misleading.

1. The drivers for all sony laptopps are readily available on the sony support site.
2. When you make your backup discs and delete your backup partition it is not so hard to reinstall, you just put your first backup disc in, switch the machine on then click next etc, dead easy, and if you really dont want to install all the extra software where it says "please insert the second disc if you want to install the 3rd party applications" then dont!!

The s2XP has stellar performance for its size, it can run any game out today ie halflife 2 at high detail at 1280x800. battery life is great, screen is the best i have seen with the 13.3" xblack screen. i got the docking station with mine so i could hook up to my sony 19" screen/wireless keyboard and mouse/PSP/NWHD1 MP3 Player. Its an ultraportable powerhouse and ill probably stick to vaio from now on!

Wrong. Not all drivers are available. It was 2-3 months after the release of my VGN-FS550 that they FINALLY made the drivers available online. Ask some early S owners as well.

Easy when you have the backup disc. Granted it was an oversight on my part not making one right away. However $30 for a disc from them seems a little steep for something that's usually standard fare.

Your S2XP is a very nice laptop. Packs a hell of a punch for the size.

Sony support is great. They were very polite when I called them, and we spent at least 45 minutes troubleshooting. Not very many other companies would pay a rep. to spend 45 minutes with someone to troubleshoot an out-of-warranty laptop.

I just purchased an S360P and am loving it. It sports a 1.7 P4M centrino with an ati 9700pro and a 13" widescreen. The additional software on the machine irked me, but it was nothing that could not be uninstalled easily. The restore disk is, i admit, stupid. For the money I paid I would expect a restore dvd, and not have to burn my own. But even while I think that, i also have the feeling that I wont need those restore disks anyways. The machine is solidly built and I don't have any software or driver issues. It does what I need it to do (word, surf, email) and it does it quickly and effortlessly.

It is to me a hands down excellent purchase and I would recommend it to everyone.

For anyone that is further interested, i managed to increase the battery life from ~4 hrs at pre-installed settings to 5 hours with the centrion hardware control program. For people on the go, it is invaluable in maximizing battery life.

I have a subnotebook from Sony (TR2A) - 10.4" widescreen. I love it. I think the #1 reason it isn't recommended is because of cost.

A lot of people weight the value of the computer by the monetary costs vs. raw performance numbers and so the sony's quickly get scratched off the list.

Sony subnotebooks and ultra portables are mainly for people wwho are usually considering the following:

1. Battery life - I can carry my TR around without the powersupply because of it's good battery life.
2. Size - I will carry my TR around because it isnt a chore. I store it in a sleve which adds no noticable size/weight to the laptop itself.
3. Looks - Some may not care about this but for me, if I'm going to be carrying a laptop around with me, it should look presentable (to me).

I do not game on my laptop as I have a desktop for that.
I DO email, IM, program, photoshop, websurf on my laptop.

All in all, it's a great second computer to carry around. 1.0ghz centrino + 1gb of ram does perfectly fine for what I use it for. If you can afford it, I'd go for a subnotebook.

--KK

Back