Why Not Offer a Grade A Panel as an Option

Paragon54

Limp Gawd
As we all know most of our time on this forum is discussing the incoherent issues that beset most of the monitors and their panels being sold today. Much of this is due directly to the reputed panel lottery that we all participate in when purchasing.

Years ago when you bought a few of the then best brands of monitors you were certain that you were receiving best available. It only makes sense to me that monitor manufacturers should offer a Grade A option. By this I mean you are purchasing the best that company has to offer. This could be assured by having your dream screen hand assembled with binned Grade A Panels and tested to the max before it shipped. Let's say that this service might cost $200-$300 additional and it would carry a special warranty with advanced exchange should your monitor not meet its advertised standards.

You might say this is too expensive but think of the shipping costs and cost associated with you being without your monitor for weeks at a time. I feel at worst the extra cost would be offset plus customer satisfaction would certainly improve. Guys we keep buying a lot of this crap that's on the market when in the worst case scenario 2-3 out of 10 perform to your expectations. A policy like this would give new meaning to the term Professional Grade Monitor!

Thoughts?

This is already done. There are IIRC four classes of monitor with different tolerance levels. Consumer grade monitors are class 2. You need to look for Class 1 panels, but be prepared to pay.

We are like a few hundred people on these forums who really care about this stuff. The truth is that slim bezels and 4k resolution in the real world sell much better than the grade A panels in consumer monitors while not being cost prohibitive for no apparent return. No one is going to hand pick backlight led's and perform actual calibration for office and gaming monitors.

If you want grade A panels, there's always color critical monitors that cost from $800k to infinite, but you will have to deal with ~20ms of input lag.

Exactly. I think we are many dreaming about this. I don't give a F... about the price. I just want a perfect screen.

Exactly. I think we are many dreaming about this. I don't give a F... about the price. I just want a perfect screen.

But in reality, you do (give an F), because the margin of return you get from paying 2-3x more isn't going to be worth it - unless your'e doing extremely color critical work.

I've come to accept the problems for what they are. It is aggravating if you let it get to you, but unless you NEED a perfect monitor (and 99% of the people who complain about "bad" monitors don't) then you shouldn't worry about it.

Mind you, The difference between 'Grade A' panels and 'Grade B' panels is nearly impossible to tell without proper calibration, and even then the difference is more accurate colour, not more vibrant colour. A lot of people buy the top-tier monitors for photoshop print work and are quite surprised that they don't look much different to standard monitors, and consumer TVs are actually brighter and have more vibrant colours and contrasts. The difference is that the 'red' seen on these screens will match up with the 'red' printed from a professional print studio. Many times that makes the image MORE washed out and grey, as true colours aren't really that exciting.

They are called eizo and nec,
That doesn't actually seem to be the case if you check sites like Prad.de for reviews.
I expect that their medical monitors will be perfect, because you're paying $10,000-25,000, but even displays like Eizo's CG line of monitors often seem to have uniformity problems.

But in reality, you do (give an F), because the margin of return you get from paying 2-3x more isn't going to be worth it - unless your'e doing extremely color critical work.

I've come to accept the problems for what they are. It is aggravating if you let it get to you, but unless you NEED a perfect monitor (and 99% of the people who complain about "bad" monitors don't) then you shouldn't worry about it.
Who are you to say what is acceptable.
You might be happy to accept these problems, but if I'm paying several hundred dollars for a display I don't expect there to be dead/stuck pixels or uniformity issues. If there are, I am going to return it.
These things never used to be so common (other than Samsung's S-PVA panels) before we had ultra-thin edge-lit displays with really thin bezels and curved panels.
I couldn't care less if a display is 3mm thin or 3" if it means that it won't have uniformity issues.

Who are you to say what is acceptable.
You might be happy to accept these problems, but if I'm paying several hundred dollars for a display I don't expect there to be dead/stuck pixels or uniformity issues. If there are, I am going to return it.
These things never used to be so common (other than Samsung's S-PVA panels) before we had ultra-thin edge-lit displays with really thin bezels and curved panels.
I couldn't care less if a display is 3mm thin or 3" if it means that it won't have uniformity issues.

Again, look at the reality. You can't tell me even though you won't accept less than perfect quality in a $400 monitor that you will pay $1k+ for the same specs for absolute perfection. What monitor are you currently using and what do you use it for on a daily basis?

Back