Why not get 9800gtx SLI instead of GTX 280

supastar1568

Limp Gawd
Folks,

I'm about to build a new PC in the next couple of weeks. Based on early reviews, wouldnt it make sense to buy two 9800gtx's and put them in SLI, over one gtx 280?

Am I missing something?

The motherboards cost more for SLI...but probably not enough to make up the difference.

Antialiasing and anisotropic filtering at high levels (what everyone actually games with, not benches for) are marvelous on the 280 vs the 9800gtx, plus no microstutter and SLI issues. High resolutions also benefit significantly. Read through all the reviews and pick out the actual useful data: 16x HQ AF at 1680x1050 or above with high ingame settings and some AA/transparency AA, and that's where the gold is :D.

Some of the gold is at newegg... I just ordered two stock 280s. :p

Some of the gold is at newegg... I just ordered two stock 280s. :p

I couldn't bring myself to go through with a 280... at $400 for the 260 I bit on that instead, I figure if I really want more performance I'll get another for SLI for $150 more than the GTX 280 would have cost me and trounce what a single 280 would have done :D.

Grats on your purchase, /jealous :). I wanted the 280 badly, but just couldn't pull the trigger.

TY. SLI'd 260 would have out done my current setup, but I'm weak I admit it. :D

After the issues I have had with my 680i motherboard I won't be getting an SLI board again. On top of that they still don't have multi monitor support and I know how it works and why that is but that doesn't change the fact that going from my 3 displays to my 1 SLI'd display takes about 3 minutes and is such a major PITA I don't even bother to do it (I have 2 8800 GT's).

If your looking for the absolute best then I think your on the right track but if you have any concern of bang for you buck I would say wait for the new ATI cards which I am guessing are going to be great value for performance and go with an Intel chipset.

I'm about to build a new PC in the next couple of weeks. Based on early reviews, wouldnt it make sense to buy two 9800gtx's and put them in SLI, over one gtx 280?
You might try a GTX 260 and overclock it. If that's not enough, add another one for SLI.

Back