Why no FEAR2 love?

The demo wasn't very good, and the HUD was very bad. I also heard that the SP is short, and I have zero interest in MP.

I might get it when it drops to $20 or below.

Iat I was looking for

FEAR and Silent Hill series hardly make me jump, but I really love the horror element that doesn't involve sudden monster jumping on your face. Its the creepy atmosphere or creepy "sightings" of Alma and stuff like that. Of course its nice having those sudden surprise here and there, but I prefer those horror element that doesn't involve sudden surprise

Thats the problem. F.E.A.R. 2 has almost none of that stuff. It's just a mindless console FPS where you shoot soldiers over and over again and then some console arcade sequences (mech, turret) that totally don't belong. If there are ghosts, you can disperse them with bullets. If there was atmosphere, I must have totally missed it. It was just the lights turning off a few times, some cheesy sound effects, meth addict homeless looking adult alma clawing for change (as it turns out, she's clawing for semen lol), or repeated scenes of the Swingset which isn't really scary. It's actually quite peaceful.

The only good part of F.E.A.R. 2 is fighting the cloak ninja which takes some skill and awareness and a keen eye.

Like someone said the demo was jammed packed with scares, but then the game itself was meh..

Another example of a title with HUGE potential dumbed down for the console sheeple masses. The biggest gripes I have are no lean keys, forced 16:9 (which means letterbox for most), game length is too short (beat it in about a day), and it's not even really scary. But even still, it's a decent, if only ho-hum, FPS. And Alma has a bangin' body when she assumes her "living" form. :eek:

Oh, and I think this isn't the last we have seen of Ms. Wade. They leave it wide open for another sequel. Hopefully Monolith gets it right next time around.

I hated this game!

The game has regressed not progressed. The original F.E.A.R is superior in every conceivable way. Considering F.E.A.R came out in 2006 this is very disappointing. Why should we accept a game that is obviously inferior due to pandering to the consoles limitations. In fact I'm not just disappointed it really pisses me off. :mad:

Add it to the list of major intellectual properties failing badly.

No love I understand, but what's with all the hate? The game did not live up to the original, this is true imho, but it is not a horrible game. As sequels go it was better than FarCry 2 at least.

I hated this game!
In fact I'm not just disappointed it really pisses me off. :mad:
Add it to the list of major intellectual properties failing badly.

This game was for me my biggest gaming disappointment and I am almost 39. FEAR1 made our clan and we were looking forward to it to re-energize our clan and then this happens. I am still fuming about it.

This game was for me my biggest gaming disappointment and I am almost 39. FEAR1 made our clan and we were looking forward to it to re-energize our clan and then this happens. I am still fuming about it.

I guess multiplayer is pretty much dead by now. Even I gave up on it last week and moved on because I'd come on and the number of players and servers continued to dramtically decline.

I have little hope that Monolith ever does anything with it. I'll be stunned if I ever see them bother with dedicated servers for it.

Dedicated servers? lol There is a thread that started before the game released asking about dedicated server files and after a couple hundred posts and over 20,000 views there is still no response. What a friggin' joke!

I love FEAR2, it was very refreshing for me, but never played the first one so I cant tell if its worse or not. Either way, this game kept me highly entertained 100% of the time, graphics were decent and HUD was very simple, it was all about the shooting and mini-puzzles you had to figure out to move on (though, every single one was extremely easy and boring).

That's kind of like Half-Life 2's formula: simple HUD, awesome gameplay, great puzzles you have to figure out to move on, good shooting, and of course the story and characters are impossible not to fall in love with. But yeah I'm not putting FEAR2 up with legends like HL2, yeah right as if, but it had some potential to be a great game. I loved it, would probably never play it again though.

[H]adouken;1033906888 said:
That's kind of like Half-Life 2's formula: simple HUD, awesome gameplay, great puzzles you have to figure out to move on, good shooting, and of course the story and characters are impossible not to fall in love with. But yeah I'm not putting FEAR2 up with legends like HL2, yeah right as if, but it had some potential to be a great game. I loved it, would probably never play it again though.

How about annoying hud (preferred numbered health in FEAR 1), mundane repetative gameplay, puzzles were crap if you can even call them that (find the key x 10, shoot the lock x 25, press the button x 50) , and the story and characters were all totally forgettable and ridiculous. That stupid team of yours that just disappears and does their own thing and sees all these scary things and then brushes them off as if nothing really happened? Terrible writing!

How about annoying hud (preferred numbered health in FEAR 1), mundane repetative gameplay, puzzles were crap if you can even call them that (find the key x 10, shoot the lock x 25, press the button x 50) , and the story and characters were all totally forgettable and ridiculous. That stupid team of yours that just disappears and does their own thing and sees all these scary things and then brushes them off as if nothing really happened? Terrible writing!

Personally I'm glad when its just me and no team AI. I hate it when I have to do things with team AI.

FEAR 2 is on my "to play" list, along with a lot of other games. TBH I just bought Dawn of War II so I figure that I should put a bit of a dent in that b4 I move on to something else.

From what I hear FEAR 2 is a pretty good game... it's nothing spectacular and it'll probably be hard-pressed to win best FPS of the year, but it'll be up there.

Because they took out the mouse side-button support, which was essential, so I never fucking bothered.

This game is fantastic. Great environments, great graphics (with high framerates), fun gameplay, good pacing, and an engaging story. Not sure how you could say this game isn't scary, I've already had a few "holy shit, that was freaky" that I couldn't wait to get out of.

I really enjoyed it. It found it to happy and lively to be a FEAR game, but good nonetheless

I bought it but cant play it because the mouse is so terrible, and theres no way to adjust it past a certain point. What kind of developer makes such a noob mistake?
Im so tired of buying broken games.

I bought it but cant play it because the mouse is so terrible, and theres no way to adjust it past a certain point. What kind of developer makes such a noob mistake?
Im so tired of buying broken games.

huh? what do you mean.....

Is the full game any better than the demo because the demo was pretty sucky. The first game had its share of issues (I still can't figure out why the developers would put glass doors in that for some reason you just couldn't break).

I just picked this up retail yesterday. I can't seem to get it to install at all. It sits at preparing files for install while using 50% cpu. I even let it keep going all night for over 12 hours and it never progressed at all. Went through the usual bullshit deleting the clientbob for steam and reinstalling steam with no difference.

Is the full game any better than the demo because the demo was pretty sucky. The first game had its share of issues (I still can't figure out why the developers would put glass doors in that for some reason you just couldn't break).

Actually the demo had tons of scares. They packed it all in. The actual game had very few scares...very disappointing. They did the bait and switch. :mad:

Man the ending sucked ass...

Spoiler warning, lol:

Yeah, I'm thinking Interval 07 is going to be a great ending after all the tiring/repetitive gameplay this game has had for the past 6 Intervals, but boy was I wrong. It was so lame how you kill some stupid ghostlike Keegans with 1-2 bullets and boom its over within 3 minutes. I wanted an epic and -hard- fight. Even with the patch the hard mode is too easy.

Last edited:
I sure hope you're joking and that isn't the ending. Thanks for the spoiler warning. :rolleyes:

Please think about what you're posting before hitting submit, just because its a FEAR2 thread doesn't mean you should go and summarize the ending for everyone.

Well this thread is about why there's no love for FEAR2, and after finally beating the ending, the entire game was ruined for me, and I had to explain why.

huh? what do you mean.....

Perhaps he meant the mouse movement speed? :confused:

In the demo, it felt like its way too fast for me, and I recall there to be some option for the mouse in the setting, but it doesn't seems to change anything about the mouse movement speed.

I just finished it and liked it very much. I really haven't been playing any FPSs lately and this was a nice change of pace. I played the original but to be honest I can't remember a whole lot about it (though I remember I liked it a lot). I didn't have a problem with the ending and it sets itself up for another sequel. The only issue I saw (and I agree with a few of the others here) is that using the slow-mo makes most fights too easy even on hard. One thing I did like was the "Mechwarrior" type thingies. I could have played the whole game in one of them and been happy. I'd give it a B+ overall.

Back