Why Marissa Mayer Is Still the Right CEO for Yahoo

HardOCP News

[H] News
The people complaining about Marissa Mayer obviously forgot about Ross Levinsohn, Scott Thompson, Tim Morse, Carol Bartz, and Jerry Yang.

Everyone loves to hate on Marissa Mayer. She’s an easy target. A celebrity long before she arrived at Yahoo, she’s a first-time CEO who has chosen to pose for fashion magazines, but has rarely opened up about Yahoo’s strategy to the business press. She’s a computer scientist by training and her engineer’s personality is not always well received by Yahoo’s Madison Avenue customers. And let’s face it: she took on the hardest challenge in Silicon Valley.

Yahoo used to be a cool site Geo Cities and all that Japanese webpages galore.

I don't remember, did people not hate Terry Semel towards the end of his run too?

I think for a good spell HP and Yahoo had some unspoken competition to see who could post the most completely incompetent executives. Mayer seems like Einstein in that rogues gallery.

How is Yahoo even alive anymore? Google I use at least a half dozen of their services on a daily basis. Yahoo is for junk mail and Finance.

How is Yahoo even alive anymore? Google I use at least a half dozen of their services on a daily basis. Yahoo is for junk mail and Finance.

I feel like only really old people and tech illiterate people still use yahoo

It would be very impressive if she, or anyone else, could pull Yahoo out of its decade long funk. I think the best anyone can do is groom the company into something another company would want to acquire for better than absolutely cheap.

They shouldn't have turned down that offer from Microsoft. After that, it was clear that the only way ahead would be downhill.

They shouldn't have turned down that offer from Microsoft. After that, it was clear that the only way ahead would be downhill.

Yeah, that was a dumb move. Right now, beyond trying to figure out how to spend their Alibaba money, they just seem to be trying to spark a start up type culture. Even if that does miraculously work, Mayer will probably be run out of town before the benefits are reaped, her successor will take the credit.

AOL is for the "olds" and quite a few white collar professionals who don't have an @businessname.com, but have been trying to use email since the early 2000s. I know a lot of lawyers with @aol addresses.

For the same sort of reason, I have to keep a yahoo account active. Too many people I work with just refuse to email elsewhere.

I'm going to go ahead and say what a lot of guys are thinking...
I can't hate a woman that I would love to have sex with. Let's face it. Marissa Mayer is F'ing hot.

I feel like only really old people and tech illiterate people still use yahoo

If I could move out of this rocking chair I would come beat you with this cane ... I have been using yahoo as my primary mail for years ... Hard to switch ;)

I'm going to go ahead and say what a lot of guys are thinking...
I can't hate a woman that I would love to have sex with. Let's face it. Marissa Mayer is F'ing hot.

I used to think that. Then I watched a video of her speaking. Don't repeat my mistakes.

Yahoo could literally hire anyone to be the CEO and they'd not be able to correct the death spiral. Maybe they should just convert into a venture capital company. That's the only thing they're doing that's making them a good profit margin.

I used to think that. Then I watched a video of her speaking. Don't repeat my mistakes.

So, she doesn't sound like a retarded valley girl...I would consider that a plus. She does however, sound a bit like a smoker.

AOL is for the "olds" and quite a few white collar professionals who don't have an @businessname.com, but have been trying to use email since the early 2000s. I know a lot of lawyers with @aol addresses.

For the same sort of reason, I have to keep a yahoo account active. Too many people I work with just refuse to email elsewhere.

Im not understanding this on bit. Other people you know have Yahoo email accounts therefore you must have one too. So what you are saying is you can only email other Yahoo accounts with Yahoo email.

Back